This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son reenlisted on the 4th of July while serving in Afghanistan.

Let me tell you who these sailors are in the words of one of them: I am a United States Sailor deployed to Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduing Freedom. I have been “Boots on the Ground," spending long days in the effort toward accomplishing our mission. I am part of a small and proud group of “Sand Sailors” forward deployed in support of Embedded Training Teams, working closely with the Afghan people to improve their circumstances.

Many have asked what to send to our "sand sailors." Here are some ideas with where I've found the best deals, but first ask how much room they have for storage. My son sometimes tells me to stop the care packages for awhile.

Beef jerky (Sam's Club), small cans of fruit with pop top lids (Sam's Club), packets of lemonade for bottled water (K-Mart), beef stew and chicken 'n' dumplings (Aldis), microwave brownies, tuna and cracker snacks, Fiddle Faddle (Dollar Stores), cocoa packets. Toll House has recipes for brownies that ship well in the heat and contain no pork products. I send zip lock baggies of various sizes, soft toilet paper, paper towels, plastic forks, and fun stuff like yo-yo's, water balloons, squirt guns, misting fans. Batteries, pens.

As it gets colder, start looking for sales on kids' mittens and gloves. My son arrived in February and immediately requested those for the kids he sees. I also sent kids' fleece jackets I picked up for next to nothing in the spring sales. Coloring books and kids' books (animals, cartoons not offensive to the Afghanis, nothing religious). A group sent my son a new pillow and a quilt that he appreciates very much, but it depends on your sailor's situation.

The troops themselves can use wool knitted scarves. Go to www.geocities.com/helmetliner/ for dimensions and instructions. There are other patterns there, too, but the scarves are most requested.

Contact a school and see if the school or a classroom will adopt your sailor. My son has a classroom that writes to him. He emails the teacher when he can and will visit when he's on leave.

My son emails and calls frequently, more than when he was in basic (of course) and stationed on a ship. Once your sailor is in country, he'll get the information he needs about calls. Don't worry about phone cards--they need to buy them there. My son has a phone that works from there that he got there. He also talks to us through the internet.

At the "big camp" they have access to Starbucks, Green Beans, and other things from home, so hopefully your sailor will be able to visit once in awhile. They even have access to massages! Depending on their jobs, being in Afghanistan may not be so bad at times even though they are far away.

Views: 1160

Replies to This Discussion

What are the rules to this site? I don't want to give out information that I shouldn't, so is there an online handbook or set of guidelines that I can memorize before I start blogging this site? My son is finishing up bc, and then says his A school is only 6 weeks long. After that, I will be needing this site...
Michelle - I think if you go to the main page there the rules and guidelines posted. I think as long as you don't post exact addresses your ok. If your son tells you where he is I think its ok to say on here. What I do - if I don't feel comfortable posting something that I know anybody can pull up and read - I don't post it.
I am Carla from the navymoms on yahoo group and I joined up to this site to browse and see if I could share any info with members here that might help and man oh man, I'm keeping busy. My daughter was on the Lincoln when the war started and is back safe and sound but as with any parent I collected a plethra of information and since I specalize in troop support at well I thought I'd come share some info with you all. Remember, I didn't get all this info; other moms did. Networking is awesome and I've met some incredible researchers.

Michelle, one of our moms, Donna P just shared the rules of the OPSEC and COMSEC (security areas of the miltiary) and it's the most concise info I've ever had. I'll post it in
another post so it's easier for anyone to share and keep.

I'd like to add, remember to take direction from your military member, if they even act like they maybe shouldn't share the info, don't you do it here. They know. Make sure you check with THEM what they want shared. If it even looks like they might be in say intelligence or other high security jobs, use an alias and for him a nick name and don't share info. We had one mom on our site who really badly needed support and she didn't tell her son who was in a special ops job. He found out and he got really upset with her about it. (I think he should have made it clear with her in the first place.) She dropped it all and it just heart my heart, because she REALLY needed support.
Don't know if I should be on this group yet but just found out yesterday my son will be going October 09. Doesn't that seem an awful long time away to already know he is going then? He is a MA and is at advanced weaponry training in San Diego now. He is in the Maritime Expeditionary Special Forces and the CO told him he would be deploying for Iraq next October. Do you think it is unusual for them to know that far in advance? He has only been in 6 months so I am new to all of this. Thank you for any words of wisdom.
Susan, Is he being deployed this year-Oct. 9th or do you mean Oct. 9th of 2009?
I meant Oct 2009
Susan, The first time (last year) when Mikey was slated to go to Afghanistan he was told around 4 months or even more before he was to go. They had to take mountain training and desert training before they went. Then after that he was granted a 30 day leave before they were to go. To make a long story short, several days before they were to be shipped out, three men from each unit were cut from the list. Mikey was one of them. Mikey is now (2008) in Afghanistan (arrived there Aug. 2nd of this year). He is a medical corpsman. It does take time absorb this. I know with myself the first time around I did eventually come to terms with him going. Of course I did not want him to go and I did have my down moments. This time there was hardly any time. He called me at work (He was stationed in Okinawa) July 18th, his 22nd birthday,to tell me his news. To say the least I was upset. We only got to spend the weekend with him in Baltimore before he had to leave directly to Afghanistan. I don't what is worse on one, knowing for several mos. or knowing less than a couple of weeks beforehand. I still have my down times and that's okay. I do know I am very proud of him. I know you must be proud of your son too. Just give yourself some time to absorb this. If ever you need to talk I'm here for you. Janice
Janice thank you so much for the info and support. I will be on here alot I'm sure. Helps so much to know you are here for me. I really appreciate it.
My son also knew early after A school where he may be deployed to. Like Janice said not sure which is worse the knowing now or later. My son deployed the first part of July. I've have bad days and good. We have recieved 1 phone call and he emails when he gets a chance. We have gotten several pics. Last week he was honored with the sailor of the month reward. He said it meant alot getting it in a war zone. I'm so proud of him. He has achieved so much in the last 18 months. He a guy with a plan. He is my hero. Mom on a bad day come here. It's kept me sane. You will not be alone. We will help you thru the good and bad days. Keep in touch.
How does your son send pictures? Derek is in Kuwait and won't take pictures from his camera to put on a public computer. He did not bring a laptop with him. I guess he needs to buy a laptop. huh?
Eric doesn't have a laptop either. He uses the base computers. The pics were him opening his packages I sent, they got NA beer so he thought he'd send pics acting up with that the last 2 were him receiving his Sailor of the Month award last week with his CO. They all made me feel like he was close. We missed his call yesterday. All at work. I was so disappointed. He sounded the same. The last time we talked was July 16. To long of time. He email a couple times a week. I miss him so much. But he is happy. So darn proud of that boy.
Thank you for the support. I appreciate it so much! It sure helps to know I'm not alone!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service