This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Okay nuke moms - thinking about going to GC to spend Thanksgiving weekend with nuke son we have not seen since PIR IN May. Where have you stayed when you have gone when you have visited your student? Have seen some info on villas in the campground on base - anyone know anything about these - can they be rented by family or would son have to do it? Also any info on villas on Lake Moultrie, shown as a Navy short stay location. Looking for something reasonable with kitchen. Any input or suggestions would be helpful. We are planning on spending the whole week in the area as we have never been there, even though we will probably only see son from Wednesday evening - Sunday morning. Thanks for your help. Melody

Views: 255

Replies to This Discussion

I would also love to know the answer to this question... We are in North Florida and only about 4 hours from Charleston, so I'm hoping to "be invited" (ha ha) to see my son often! (yeah right, more like show up and surprise him.... then again, with my luck, he'll be heading home that weekend to see his girlfriend...)
Hi Melody-I have not seen my son since he finished boot camp in May (is that what you mean by PIR)? He finished "A" school on Aug. 22 and will be coming home on leave the end of Sept. I am interested in your Thanksgiving plans-it sounds like a good idea. Please share any information about staying in the area when you find out.
Diane - We have reservations at Foster Villas for Tues 11/25 thru 11/30. From what I can tell and from talking with the ladies at the reservations, these are several former base houses that have been renovated and are now available for rent. They are 2/3/or 4 bedroom houses, evidently with carports and yards. My son made the reservations for us last Saturday. I gave him my credit card info. Since it is a holiday week, the reservations cannot be cancelled. The 4 br was $75. per night, 3 br was $65. and 2 br was $55. As of last week, there were several left. There is also a place called short stay at Lake Moultrie, about 25 miles from Charleston with cabins located on a lake. There were none of these available. I would have loved to stay in a condo on the beach, but we just could not afford $1,000 +, and I wanted kitchen facilites, so that if I did decide I wanted to cook I could. I found the info on the Charleston Naval Weapons Station Morale, Welfare and Recreation website. Hope this helps. If anyone has stayed here, please put in your two cents. Melody
We are just looking for a reasonably priced and safe place for Columbus Day weekend--looking for info
I just returned from Charleston, and I got to spend the weekend, when he was on liberty, with my boyfriend! I stayed at the Wingate by Wyndham at 9280 University Blvd, North Charleston 29406. It was about ten minutes from the base, and I think it's actually on the campus of Charleston Southern University. The rooms are big, the place is clean and I felt safe. It's got a nice pool and a hot tub, which the boyfriend enjoyed. A continental breakfast with some hot items is free, but I think it's only from 6AM - 9AM. No kitchen, but there's a mini-fridge, coffee maker and microwave in the room.
Mind my asking what the basic rate was?
Thanks for this discussion. We are going to "A" school graduation on Oct 3rd. Son and husband not really interested in the histortic Charleston - :(. Any other suggestions for places to stay and places to go? We live in N. Atlanta and are driving to SC.

Praise report - all is well in Goose Creek. Hurricane has passed!!!!!
Kathy--I accidentally put your message with Meagan's--trouble with the computer I am borrowing right now
OOPS--this is for KATHY above....can't delete it and move it up---- This is a shipyard town. We have visited an old docked Navy ship, a submarine and great restaurants. They hav added big malls since we have visited years ago. However, it is a historical town. Did you ever watch the series "North and South?" with John Swaze (sp?) as it was filmed there. We have a large photo from one of the scenes by Dock Street Theatre. The churches are gorgeous from any architectual view. Go the the Charleston Chamber of Commerce site for other ideas.
It's been awhile (2003-04) but we stayed at a Marriott Courtyard (has kitchen or kitchenette and fold out couch) near the base. I also stayed at the Clarion, where a lot of military people stay. For a more expensive treat when my son was able to spend a little time with us, we stayed downtown at the Planter's Inn and the French Quarter Inn, both had fabulous restaurants (The Peninsula Grill and Tristan's). I do not recommend staying at the Day's Inn downtown - it was expensive and so filthy we didn't stay after we checked in. Downtown Charleston is so much fun - great food, shopping, carriage rides, historical buildings, beautiful architecture. Beaches are close by and don't forget to go to Patriot's Point to see the USS Yorktown and the USS Clamagore (diesel sub). I will upload some pictures of Charleston on my page from when my son was at Nuke School.Hrer are a couple...
Attachments:
I lived in Ladson (15 minutes from Goose Creek) for about three years and just moved away. So I am not a good one to know all the hotels, as we never stayed anywhere but in our house! But, I can tell you Lake Moultrie is a bit of a drive-. I'd say give yourself up to an hour to get to Goose Creek from there. Looks like folks have offered good suggestions on this thread. Downtown has some nice places but many are pricey and its between 30-45 minutes to the base from there. There is a nice new Marriott near the Riverdogs Stadium, I attended a conference there last year, its on Lockwood Blvd and not right on top of everything else but close to downtown. Just be careful in North Charleston. Parts are okay, but parts are in decay. I have always had pretty reliable results looking for hotels on tripadvisor.com. Good luck.
Hi, I am not very good at navigating this web site but, here is some information that I have gathered. I hope it is helpful. This is as much info as I have been able to obtain from many sorces. I have not been able to get down there to stay yet, so none of this information is first hand. This is all information from other people.

Where to stay at Charleston

Several former base houses that have been renovated and are now available for rent. (2, 3 or 4 bedroom houses, with carports and yards. Sailor has to make reservation (not sure)? 4-bedroom = $75 per night, 3 bedroom = $65 per night, 2 bedroom = $55 per night.

Also a place called short stay of Lake Moultrie = 25 miles from Charleston with cabins located on a lake.

Can find info on Charleston Naval Weapons Station Morale, Welfare and Recreation website.

Courtyard Marriott = 2415 Mall Dr., N. Charleston, SC. - 10 minutes from base. no complimentary breakfast - breakfast $10.95/person. McD's and Hardee's nearby.

Wingate by Wyndham = at 9280 University Blvd., North Charleston 29406. - 10 minutes from base (posably on campus of charleston Sourthern University. Rooms big, clean, has nice pool and hot tub, continental breakfast some hot items free (only 6AM to 9AM) mini-fridge, coffee maker and microwave in room.

Hope this helps, Margaret

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service