This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
This discussion is for anyone who has a SR in Ship 02 Div 928.  Please join the discussion so we can share our Navy experience together!!!

Views: 513

Replies to This Discussion

I just called the Public Relations office.  She said she hadn't heard anything about the graduates marching.  If any recruits are marching it won't be ours and yes, ours will be leaving on Friday.  I didn't give her his name or anything; I think they pretty much tell everybody the same thing.  She did know he was in the performance division.  Guess that answers that question. 

I wish we could figure out how to get more 02/928 moms on here.  Any suggestions??  I can't believe that there are about 88 SRs in each division that you and I are the only ones on N4M.

hello ladies.  I felt like i wanted to come here.. my son was in a 900 division and its a mixed emotions thing.  first ...it is a special thing for anyone to be in a  900 division.  it means they did something before they got to boot camp like higher asvab scores, rotc, etc.  but..they are either a performing or a work group.  my son was in a work group.  his job was as a body snatcher.  He didnt get to march in... he had to walk through another division during the pir and make sure no one passed out or fell.  they stand for an hour....  so it kinda sucked for me not to get to see my son march as he deserved to do, but thats how they do things.  My son was there in Jan and Feb during the hellacious snow storms.. ugh.  but.. I hear that in the baseball season that sometimes they take some of the recruits to march or sing or whatever at baseball games...sometimes they march in parades..etc.    from my sailors point of few:  he says he loved being in the 900 division, but it is twice as much work as the other divisions have.  they do the same as other divisions and then they have practice etc.  that means..... you might get less letters than others... becuase they use their spare time practicing etc.  so hang tough.  In our pir group of 3/4... at first there weren't many wifes/mothers in our group but by the end, our division had more mothers/fathers than any other division.    My son would write home and say "i hang with a guy named SMITH." so i would ask what smiths wifes name was and find her on facebook and invite her to join us on NAVY FOR MOMS..  AND NOW...my son is in Goose Creek SC...and i know the wives and mothers of about 10 who were in his boot camp division and are with him now... it is cool that he had friends at boot camp, and i had friends here who were married to his friends or mothers of..... and i feel much better now knowing he is not 12 hours away alone...    

we were told our sailors would not ship out till the tuesday after pir... WRONG..they are pushing to get them all out as fast as they can.. our boys left saturday morning at 2am... we barely had any time with them.    he left GL and went to south carolina where he had 2 weeks of liberty before his classes started.. (yes that sucks)...   I did get to sit at the airport with him till he flew out.  and the last thing i will say.. is....  they are in rigorous training... they are "beat" if they make a mistake ... etc... so when you do get to see your sailor, he might be a bit uptight.  my son didnt come down/go back to his normal self for a few weeks.... its really weird...    all in all, its great experience for our sailors.... great choice for them... bettering themselves, etc...but it sure hard on the mommas that get left behind...take care of yourselves...  

Thank you so much for the encouraging words CrazyNavyMom (boy, I wish I had picked that moniker for myself; my son would have had a field day with it!)  I had read about possibly getting less calls & letters than others because they're in a 900 division but it is also supposed to be quite an honor.  I have no idea what my son will be doing but he had a high ASVAB score and was in show choir and played the drums in high school.  I think it's a crying shame that your son didn't get to walk in with the rest of the 900 division.  That is probably what will happen with my son; he's 6'4" so he could probably pick up anybody that fell. 

The thing I'm having the most problems with is that I'm a control freak and the Navy is so RANDOM it is driving me crazy!!!  So you mean to tell me that they shipped him out at the crack of dawn the day after PIR then gave him 2 weeks liberty when he got where he was going?  That's insane!  If they would let them come home they wouldn't have to pay to fly them to their next stop.  Makes no sense to me at all.  Who wants to spend 2 weeks of their free time in a brand new place where he didn't know many people?  Like I said, RANDOM.

Forgive me for being an idiot but when you said they are "beat" when they do something wrong; you did mean that figuratively and not literally right?  While I realize they have to break them I don't believe doing it that way would be very productive.  Luckily I was on N4M months before he went to boot camp so I was used to maneuvering around the site and finding out information.  I don't know how parents who don't know about N4M do it!  This is my lifeline!!!

Thanks again for sharing your story with us.  These first 2-1/2 weeks have been tough but I know that eventually it will get better.  All it would take is just a short call or a letter and I would at least be relieved.  Hopefully that will happen soon.

Come back by and visit anytime you want.  We'll be happy to have you!  :)

Thanks for your encouragement!  I had no idea that this was a special group!  What an honor!   I am new to this website and having a little trouble navigating around and then I got an e-mail that brought me to this link!  Thank you for helping out the new Moms!  I didn't expect to hear from him so as to not be disappointed, "no news is good news" is what my mama always said, so I'm sticking to that. He's in good hands.....

what do you mean they get "beat"   if they make a mistake  can you explain please..  i never heard my SR say that......  he has had nothing  to say   but good thing ...

"Beat", "Beatings" (being cycled) are physical fitness activities used as punishment - not physical beatings.

(From the Navy Basic Acronyms discussion).

Can last a loooong time.

my son will leave on fri too...he is going to CS school in Fort Lee VA. I think ALOT of guys/girls ship out on Fri. alot of the schools are away from GL. I guess sence my two nephews are in the Navy I already knew this was how it may happin. Im sorry proud! We can all lean on eachother I guess.....
i know its very hard  for some to have more time tham others with the family  but please remember  it depends . on what school they are going to ... must grads and go  leave that same day.. i have other family members in the navy  and sometimes  the time is short..  for those that have 4 days they are grad n go  but their school is in Gl  and its a holiday ...  its hard on all  of us but its the way it is  ......  

Hey everyone!  I am so glad to finally find ya'll!  My son is also in 02/928 and last I heard graduation was supposed to be on the 27th.  Did it change because of the holiday weekend?  Mine also is headed to Florida, so he will fly out on the Friday?! 

Thanks for any info!

Graduation was always on Thursday; our SRs were given the wrong date to put on the letters.  It has been verified on the U.S. Navy Recruit Training Command Facebook page.  I believe it is also on the bootcamp.navy.mil page.  A day earlier is fine with me!!!  Unfortunately I thought that meant a day longer with our new Sailors but such is not the case.  People with Sailors training at Great Lakes get Friday-Monday to spend with their kids who are on liberty those 4 days.  They will send out as many of the ones flying out on Friday as possible; the ones who don't fly out on Friday will fly out on Saturday.  It all depends on the availability of airline tickets available.  Maybe we'll get lucky since that is a holiday weekend and none of them will be able to get tickets for Friday!!!  One can alway hope...

If you're on Facebook, be sure to check out the Recruit Training Command page that I mentioned above.  It has lots of great information as well as a discussion group by PIR date (I'm in that discussion group as well).  I'm joining everything I can in the hopes of learning all I can about the Navy.  Welcome to our little group and if you know of anyone else in Ship 02 Div 928 send them to us!!!  We can always use more parents and a bigger support system!!!!

BTW, NEVER mention N4M on the Recruit Training page.  They do not endorse any other websites and I think they particularly don't like N4M for some reason.  I get more support here than I do there so I'm not giving it up. 

Have a great day!

MamaMac:  Welcome!  We're newbies just like you, trying to pick up information here and there wherever he can.  Join into any conversation or make one up as you go along.  We're all just trying to help each other get through this thing they call "boot camp".  Glad to know your son is also in 02/928.  We'll hopefully meet at PIR or the Meet & Greet the night before PIR at the Ramada Inn.

goMahvelous:  You go girl!  Luckily I had a letter as well as my family.  He basically told me the same thing he told the rest of the family but he really does love boot camp (at least according to his letter)!!  I'm really glad to know that.  It really makes all the difference in the world to know that he's doing what he wants to do and is happy.

Much luck to both of you ladies.  May we keep getting letters and pray for a phone call next...

Hello everyone!  My name is Virginia, and I wanted to just say "HI!"  I found this social network via a Google search, and wow am I grateful I found all of you.  I have learned a lot just by browsing the different discussions and comments, and I figured it was time for me to say hello and thanks!

My ever-lovin' hubby is in this ship/division... I got letters from him today (which is strange, as they have been coming on Wednesdays), and he said that there might be phone calls tonight (April 22)?!  Anyone else hear the same thing?

I also read online that 900 divisions are often grad-n-go, but I can't really confirm this as of yet.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service