This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
We received the letter today saying our son is in this division.  Anyone else have a loved one here?

Views: 463

Replies to This Discussion

I think the other was the National Defense Service Medal (Ribbon). They earn this for serving during a time of war - a sobering thought. We thought he said something about marksmanship, so based on what you said I guess that was right. Funny, since our kid has never fired anything with more pop than a Nerf Dart Gun.
What a wonderful surprise I got yesterday. My son called and we spoke for 16 minutes. He said he had 45 minutes to talk and then asked for phone numbers because he couldn't remember anyone's. He forgot to take a list of numbers. Mine was the only important number he said he needed. Anyway, all is well and they have a busy 2 weeks ahead of them. Everyone is finally coming together as a division and things are looking up he said.His bunk mate is also going to the same A school as he, so at least he'll know someone there. Gas chamber is soon. But he didn't tell me the date of Battlestations. He actually sounded like himself this time and was more relaxed. That call really made my day :) He said it was cold up there since he is from the south and was wearing his parka without the lining but really likes his p-coat(said it was the dank-nasty)
REALLY WANTS SOMETHING SWEET---like SWEET TEA !!!! So, I guess we'll be making tea in the hotel with the coffee maker just for him !!! Hope everyone else is getting their phone calls and all the soon to be sailors are doing well.
I received a couple of letters yesterday - Terrence really seemed stressed for the 1st time since he began bc....says instead of it getting easier for him, he seems to be messing up the little things - his chief kicked him out again (yep 2nd time - different reason) for not getting a medical chit signed - man I keep telling the kid details are important - He said he thought he would be asmo'd but I have received no call - yet.....His letter was written on Sunday (the 25th) - so I am just keeping the good thoughts and hoping that he can make it for 6 more days....:) He says he is trying his hardest to make sure everything is done correctly, but the more he thinks about it, the more he is afraid he is forgetting something.....very frustrating for him. At the end of that letter, he says don't worry - everything will work out the way it is supposed to! So yes I will worry but at this point I only have a couple of days to worry....:)

He did say he bought the $140 package of pictures and division clothes (?) Anyone know what these are?

In the other letter he says they have 3 or 4 flags but no phone calls...He said they had academic test #2 and he overheard someone saying they flagged for that....Weapon familiarization was intense - he had to have help holding the 12 ga..He is still in PT (hurt his foot/heel) - she still won't release him.

He said (quote) "Pride doesn't begin to describe the feelings I get looking at my uniform" That tells me more about my kid than I ever knew.....

He is ET - says he got a 'peek' at his orders (he stays in GL) and he doesn't begin A school until May 23 - and he said he couldn't leave bc until then?? I thought they went to a 'holding area' until they began their A school....anyone know about that?

Hopefully, he will be able to hang in there for the next 6 days - just gotta keep thinking the good thoughts and as he said, no worries it will be ok....
Our daughter stayed in GL after BC too. She was transferred to the new barracks after lunch on her PIR, even though her school didn't start for a couple of weeks. She was out of the RTC command. I believe the RTC does have a holding ship, the medical holds, the pending discharges, and whoever else gets assigned to it. I guess he could go there until a billet opens at GL. You probably won't know for sure until PIR. Personally, I would still take his cell phone. He can use it over the weekend when he is with you. Keeping it will depend on the new command. If he goes to the RTC holding ship, I'm guessing he won't be able to keep it because some of the people there are still SR.

As far as the other stuff, I wouldn't worry. He has made it this far, and if he was going to be ASMO for not paying attention to detail, they probably would have by now. He just needs to listen closely, eventually muscle memory will kick in. All those years of us, mom's, repeating the directions more than once, or reminding them is gone. The RDC only say it once. It makes the SR start paying attention or suffer with I.T. He will be absolutely fine. It will get better in A-school, and his ship will become like a regular job.
Hi Peoples, just talked to my son in Division 184. He said that 184 and 183 are brother divisions and have been doing EVERYTHING together. He said both divisions are down to 66 people. They did the chamber this past Tuesday. The only thing left for 184 is an inspection on Monday. Maybe they will be doing battlestations together? 184 is on Tuesday.
Hi all

I got a nice long phone call this afternoon....and yes my son said they are doing battlestations on Tuesday - he said to be waiting for the phone call on Wednesday - that is better than them doing it on Wednesday.....He also told me it broke his heart seeing a few guys crying because they didn't pass BS. But he felt confident thnd his division was gonna make it - he said as long as he could stay awake he would be ok....Apparently they have been hearing something from the recruits that have gone through BS.

Terrence said that they did the captains cup today and came in 2nd -

I was so delighted with the phone call - he was in great spirits - so excited for PIR. He said the chief let him come back to the compartment and that he and chief 'kissed and made up' - So for several days his life was not so great - but he did what he had to do and he says all he has left to do is BS. He said the gas was bad but no one threw up - lots of gagging but they kept it in. He said it was rough but he breathed 'like a girl' in short breaths and it wasn't as bad as some....

He said they are all so anxious for Friday - apparently Terrence has been taking some extra watches during BC so he will not have watch during the week-end -

He was supposed to be ET but he said something changed and he is going to be FT (didn't quite understand why it changed but he was ok with the change).

What a relief to get the 'good' phone call and to know everything is ok now for him. Hope you all got a phone call this afternoon and all your kids are doing well and feeling good!
We got a surprise call today to. We were at his sister's ballet performance when the call came in. Figuring there were three more shows this weekend, we ducked out of the theatre to talk to him.

Like barebrass' son said, they are doing BS on Tuesday. What a relief for those who were planning on being in the air on Thursday. He thinks they will do well - his only concern is that there are an awful lot of alpha dogs in the division and to get through the teamwork stuff a couple are going to have to step down to "bravos". :)

He said pretty much the same thing about the gas chamber - it was disgusting, but it did its job - he has a lot of respect for his gas mask now. He mentioned the Captain's Cup, and said there was some kind of CNO flag that one division gets to carry at PIR they were hoping to earn.

He told us the division was doing very good on their tests and inspections. They have been getting top marks on a lot of them. The entire division passed their final PFA!

He was fighting a pretty nasty cold, but they had given him some medicine and cleared him for duty.

He said a couple of funny things. One was - "It's not that hard - just do what you've been taught since you were two. Do what you're told, take care of your stuff, and sit down and shut up. Some people have trouble with that."

It also looks like he might not be traveling to Virginia for A school until the Wednesday after graduation. I don't know if that means they'll move him over to Ship 5 or leave him where he is now until then.
It's funny - I remember a poster I saw once - Everything you need to know in life you learn in kindergarden....seems so true now! I think my kid might be one of those that have a problem with that....lol I love him to death but he is (or maybe was) an arrogant kid - but I have definitly seen and heard some changes in him!

Wasn't it great to talk with him and hear the joy and 'positiveness' in his voice? It seemed my kid was almost giddy with delight in himself and his division - and so positive! And while he was delighted with himself, it seemed he really cared more about the progress of the division!

We are anxioously awaiting Thursday when we leave for GL and of course, Friday for PIR and the week-end to spend with my son.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service