This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Hi All anyone else Loved one from this class. Our son has sent home many letters and we  and our extended family & friends have responded in turn. Our Son went with a small group from NY he Made a friend here before they shipped out They are both  going for MA. In fact the Friend is the MA while our son is the Division Yoeman, why he would take on additional stuff is beyond me but I guess RCT has a way of taping  into your inner self. I also can say that the have earned their fourth Flag and as of now it should be the fourth day of week number five or as they might have written 5-4 DOT.  I have been looking on this site and it seems that flying into O hare is simpler than Midway. I also was able to get a rental from Hotwire .com for 13.95 for a full size car. PU/drop back at Airport. unlimited mileage. I also understand that the taxes on the rental are like 20% so be ready for the hit. I was unable to get a cheap good hotel thru Hotwire for the area but did as others and searched North Chicago hotels web site and then used my AAA discount to get a nice discount rate at the Residence Inn up on South Oak Drive about 3 miles from the base in Waukegan.  Although I also hear that the Navy Lodge is good too. for a few dollars more.

Views: 311

Replies to This Discussion

Also I found some good info that you too may be able to use like bring him /her some sweats and slippers to lounge in while visiting your hotel. and also If you have room see if you can take a shipmate along that didn't have family come out for graduation for the day and some relaxing dinner.
Hi True Grit, Yes my son is in ship 7 div 104--I thought I'd never been asked--ha-Yes I receive mail often too, but this is the first week no letter. I guess between our blizzards and their snow--and I know Hell Week was tough, they all must be exhausted. We live at the Jersey Shore, so Steve was brought up on the water, boats, fishing and of course swimming. He is also going forMA. i AM GL
Funny although we and my son Dion Hail from up in New Windsor, NY .We too hang on the water out on My fishing boat "True Grit" we set off from Atlantic Highlands NJ from late April all the way till November small world after all I guess. But I do recall that after we sent some Pics out there and one was of him out on the boat tuna fishing and he did say some of the guys were into fishing so perhaps they know each other well lol. We got two letters yesterday from Feb 4 & 5 so I'm sure yours will come too. In the recent letter he says this week is Hell Week and they passed their zone inspection which earned them their 3rd flag. But I stand corrected in a re-read of the letter he says they are well on their way to their 4th. flag which they would have earned this past Tuesday for passing the Drill Inspection.
Wow it sure is a small world--we used to keep our boat--"Sea-Glo", in Red Bank--kinda next-door to At.Hi. It is nice to hear that our guys are doing well in their division,and seem to be working well together.I hope they can keep it up thru these 2 big weeks. I am praying for them all. My 2 sons are here this evening with their girls and we had dinner , and it was weird not to have Steve here at the table, with his always smiling smile, and e.z. going manner. I miss him so much, sometimes I can't remember what I was doing, or sometimes at night I think I hear him coming in. Sorry enough of that--countdown--11 days. Glor P.S. Pleeeez no more snow--we had 3 blizzards already, and now they say more is coming on Tues.
Hi, I have a son on Ship 7 division 104 also.But I guess i'm in the same boat as glor112 because this is the first week with no letter also. Thanks to both of you; TrueGrit and glor112 for the information on them winning 4 flags. I guess my son is too exhausted from Hell Week to write.
Hi deanne, I am thinking the same also--he is too tired or has run out of stamps-ha. I know from his Feb.3 letter, they were finishing live fire-arms this week, then beginning tomorrow (live) fire-fighting and the "confidence chamber, where they drop tear gas and they must pull off their masks state their name and soc. sec. # before getting it back on. It seems like, my son has said in previous letters, that their group has "gelled" so well--we should all be thankful for that. Then after this week comes the grande finale-- It may be Monday night or Tuesday night prior to P I R. I know it only begins at 8 p.m. and goes thru the night--they will be so x-hausted. Then we should be receiving our call between 8-9 a.m. Thursday morn. When are you leaving? I am leaving with my 2 older sons Thur. 4:30 flight out of Newark. I have a room on hold at the Res. Inn and also at the Marriot Courtyard. Really want theRes. Inn, but have other fam. staying at courtyard and just trying to make it easier for our sailor (to be God willing), to be in 1 spot. Not planning a whole lot of running around, I am sure he will enjoy chilling out-- and wearing his favorite sweats and slippers(as long as they are inside), it's o.k. I will leave it up to him--he is a bowler and was on a league here at home--Red Bank,N.J I noticed a bowling alley not far away--we"ll see. What are your plans?? Glor.
Hi glor112: Sorry it took so long for me to write back. I have just been so depressed with no mail or no calls. I haven't talked to my son on the phone in 5 weeks and haven't received a letter in 10 days.I just want to hear from him!

We are flying out of Sacramento, CA on Thursday 2/25 at 2:00 pm our time and will arrive in Illinois at O'hare airport at 8:00 pm. their time. We are staying at the Ramada in Waukegan. Is the Residence Inn and Marriot Courtyard in Waukegan too?

What division and ship is your son on? Mine is ship 7, div 104. Yeah, I agree with you, there probably won't be a lot of sight-seeing, since my son will probably just want to eat and "chill-out". Although bowling does sound fun! My son loves bowling too. We'll be taking in his buddy too for the weekend since his buddy's family couldn't make the trip to graduation.

What time is your flight arriving on Thursday? I guess there is a "meet and greet" at The Ramada between 6 pm and 8 pm, but we will be arriving too late to participate.

Looking forward to graduation! Talk to you soon!
Deanne, I don't believe I just deleted my whole answer to you. I will (re-write) tomorrow night, but basically what I said was try not to be down--I know this was a really tough week for-all couldn't stay focused too long on much--no letters-no calls-- I felt sick. Then I said wait--this is not helping my son to have a sad mom, that would not make him happy-and it sure isn't doing me any good, I've got to keep this ship moving forward!!!! so hang in there it won't be long now---9days- I keep praying for all of our sons, as they move through these most 2 diff. weeks. Hang in there,o.k.? Glor, N.J.
Arriving O'Hare,7:00 p.m. 1/2 hr. ride to Courtyard. 3-mi. from Courtyard to base. WEAR WARM COMFORTABLE SHOES OR BOOTS.A LOT OF WALKING. ON BASE.!!
I got a PM from Monica asking how I was able to secure a low price on a rental as she got a quote twice as high so I'm posting my reply in an effort to save anyone some coin. Always shop around as car rental companies want to rent cars not leave them on the lots. FYI ours is from Alamo,

Hi Mom,
I don.t know why you price is so high. Perhaps it has to due with your dates I just looked and a full size car is only 21.07. Also to get it even lower create an account sign in put in your dates and stuff, then select the car only click on the watch this box up to the right. then monitor your email and you should get a lower price quote within a day or two. At least that's how it worked for us. Also I'm renting from Thursday to Sunday. Hope this works for you.

http://www.hotwire.com/car/local/results.jsp?searchTokenId=1
Also Air fare via Hotwire for those dates has gone up the cheapest is now listed as their Hot Deal is 198 round trip from Newark to O'Hare. At the beginning of this month w en I started searching the price out of there was 159.00 & 139.00 from LaGuadia.I didn't jump on them and missed out. But seeing that the cost from NJ is now around 200.00 we've decided to fly out of my local airport for a slightly higher fee, plus is it's only a 10 min.ride I think the hardest part is choosing the dates and times that work for you. I would defiantly try to get out and back with the weather in mind
We booked our flights the day I got the form letter. We are leaving from Newark on the 24th and returning on the 28th at $150.00 per person. I took my chances and booked early. Good Luck !!
Also if you haven't all ready send them a phone card & some stamps couldn't hurt either. Also here's a tip. As space is limited for them they're allowed a small wallet sized photo, but what I found out is if your computer savvy is to cut and past pics right into the letters themselves. Your sailor gets to see them, and show them and then fold them up with the letters.as they take up no more space than the letter their on.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service