This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Is there a connection between these two? Yes? No? Tell us your view!

"Some people believe college and the Navy are two different choices."

Views: 1368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it depends on your child. You get out of it what you want. My daughter already had her B.S. She is going to go to nuke school. I don't think she can get that type of education outside the Navy, without paying big bucks. On the other hand, nuke school is so secretive so she won't get the college credits she desrves. I have met nukes that are no longer in the service and have been told that nuclear power plants actively recruit these people before they get out of service. No matter what the opportunity you only take away what you put into it.
For my son, college and the Navy were linked together. While in high school, he wavered between wanting to be an engineer or a pilot. He was also bound and determined to go to college in Florida - not Indiana (which is where we live). In the end, he received an NROTC scholarship to attend Jacksonville University that completely paid for his room, board and tuition ... and even provided a monthly stipend. As a midshipman (that is what an NROTC college student is called), he was required to take an NROTC class each semester as well as committing to other duties at the JU NROTC unit. Each summer, he was required to give six weeks to the Navy, and each six-week summer period was spent being exposed to different career paths of Navy: Marines, on a submarine, on a ship, Naval Aviation, Seals, etc. Other than those commitments, he was a regular college student.

Upon graduating from Jacksonville University (December 2004), he was commissioned into the Navy, and began Navy flight school shortly thereafter. He received his "wings of gold" in August of 2006, and is currently stationed in Hawaii, but deployed in Iraq.
No, he was not enlisted before he went to college. He was a senior in high school when he applied for the NROTC scholarship, and was fortunate enough to be awarded a full one. The NROTC scholarship process is very competitive in that he had to interview and pass a physical fitness test; and his grades, class rank, school and extracurricular clubs, activities, and community service were all taken into consideration. The most stringent thing of all was the medical exam and medical history ... again, he was fortunate in that he had always been a healthy kid (and now a healthy young man), so he did pass, but we had to submit x-rays from an arthroscopic surgery (sports injury) he'd had when he was a high school freshman, and I believe (if I remember correctly), he was initially denied the scholarship based on that alone. They finally granted a waiver and we all breathed a big sighs of relief!
An important factor for anyone considering an NROTC Scholarship is the heavy emphasis on academics. The Naval Officer who interviewed my daughter looked long
and hard at her high school courses. A strong knowledge of Physics, Calculus and English are requirements for entry into the NROTC program. Further, written recommendations from the applicants teachers that he or she is capable of successfully completing Calculus I, II and Physics I, II while in the NROTC college program are necessary.

My daughter was recently awarded her NFO wings and is currently finishing advanced training at JAX NAS.
The Navy encourages the enlisted to get further education. My husband did it thru night schooling and some online courses. It helps for them to advance in the enlisted ranks as well. Especially when they come up for Chief, Senior Chief or Master Chief. (E7, 8 & 9) A degree is not mandatory but no further education is frowned upon. Many accredited colleges allow the on-line classes, especially for the military.

The degree looks just like any other. He picked the College of his choice and passed all the classes. When we moved he would have the credits transferred from one school to the other.

He is now eligible for retirement but just made Master Chief and wishes to give the Navy a few more years. Once he retires he will begin a new career as a teacher. He is still young enough to give his new career twenty years as well and retire again before the age of 65 were he could also collect his social security.

Denise
Hi Cynthia - I too was worried about that. Until they get done with their schooling - they won't have time for college credits. After that they will. But it is only going to happen if your sailor wants it to happen. There are schools that are very compatible with Navy classes etc they just have to apply and get the process going. Both of mine have taken college classes while in the Navy. Both are getting degrees. One his first the other his second degree.
Please also consider applying to the United States Naval Academy.It is an amazing place. Lots of leadership training. The Midshipmen graduate in four years with a degree and a Commission as a Navy Ensign or a Marine 2nd Lt.
My brother was in the Navy years ago. While active duty he attended the University of Maryland, a very prestigious school and obtained his Bachelors Degree in Accounting. He finished up his career in the Navy (which had nothing to do with accounting) and came back home. This man finished second to last in his high school class, barely graduating. College was the last place he would have been able to go at that time, the Navy played a HUGE role in this happening. This kid that finished next to last in high school, that never took SAT's is now our state Deputy Bank Commissioner. I whole heartily encourage our Navy kids to seek their education out while enlisted, a lot of what they do while active can be 100% reimbursed and that is how my brother did it. As far as I know he then still had his GI college money upon discharge. I am so encouraging my son to do this as well, can you imagine..........doing your 20 in Navy, still being a young 38 or so years old on discharge and having a college education that will make you even more valuable to the work force. Make the choice to do both, you can do it, unlike myself, I waited till 45 to start college, and albiet a great choice for me, it won't work for everyone. GO NAVY............GO EDUCATION!!!!!!!!!
College is one of many reasons my son joined the Navy. He found out, as others have mentioned here, that he can go to school while in the Navy (he's homeported in Norfolk right now). I told him that since he's in the service, he can apply for federal financial aid as well without having to put his parents' information. He signed up for six years and is planning on going to college after he's discharged. I think all-in-all it's a great way for many young adults, fresh out of high school, to get a start in life.
HERE IS THE REAL DEAL GUYS

The Navy and college are one in the same..... Every A school C school you take in the Navy is college level. They receive a thing called a SMART transcript. Every class attended will be on there which is transferable to any college. The Navy doesn't give you a degree they help you earn one from a college elsewhere. With 100% tuition assistance they can take any course they want at any time to complete their degree. The MGIB is mainly used after they get out of the Navy. MGIB use to be 100 dollars a month for 12 months. Now you do not have to pay anything and everyone that serves can get it for free. Cannot be used until they served 2 years. But there is no reason to use it because of the TA. They are authorized to use TA the day they get out of A or C school. Most commands require you to take classes on your off time anyway. If they are on a ship they have college professors come to them and give classes right on the ship. All your son or daughter has to do is sign up for the class. hope this helps
Navy Recruiter

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service