This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
What is your advice?

"One thing I do recommend, if it's all possible. Be sure to try and attend their graduation. You send the Navy a teenager, and the next time you see them, they have grown and matured, and you will be in utter awe. I wish I could re-meet his company commander and tell him about the most astonishing young man that they helped on his way. He's gone from the obnoxious teenager to a man that is so very proud of his leadership skills and knowledge. The Navy was the best thing for him, and it's amazing to see the transformation over the years." – Jean Cabral

http://www.navyformoms.com/profile/navyformomsadmin

Views: 507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would READ THE CONTRACT THEY SIGN....have the recruiter EXPLAIN IT THOUROUGHLY.....the NATIONAL CALL TO SERVICE CONTRACT is tricky....and alot of moms are finding their kids only to be booted out into the reserves after about 28 months.....is that what the recruit really WANTS? Shouldn't that be a choice the recruiter GIVES to the potential recruit?
I went to watch my son Justin graduate from boot camp, and it was awesome! I felt I would burst with pride! I also went to see him graduate from his A-school, it is wonderful to be able to stay involved in his life, and witness his milestones!
I highly recommend getting "Power of Atterney' over your sailors affairs while they are overseas. You may think everything is taken care of. You have done the paperwork to have access to pay there bills while away . But something could come up, and did for us. So now you have to fight through the red tape. Where on one hand your glad its there to protect them, but on other hand your like: Come on I'm his mother and just what to get things straightened out.. Trust me save yourself a lot of headaches. :)
But on the other hand if they loose a bank card or credit card his local bank told me they can not and will cancel his cards or a stop payment if someone uses it. I can write checks and access the account but I can do anything else.
How do I go about getting a Power of attorney for my son? I'm already finding problems with his account. Such as he just got an income tax check in the mail and should have been deposited into his checking account. When I went to the bank to deposit this they said I could not without a Power of Attorney, any advice?
you can put for "deposit only" where he would have signed the check (as long as you are not tryinfg to get cash back), if your local gives you a hard time do a night deposit at a different branch office.

A Power of Attorney is a legal instrument that is used to delegate legal authority to another. The power of Attorney gives legal authority to another person(called an Agent or Attorney-in-Fact) to make property, financial and other legal decisions for the Principal. A "Nondurable" Power of Attorney is often used for a specific transaction, or the handling of the Principal's financial affairs. This is a general one that we use if one of us it out of the country. see attached Because it needs to be notarized, I am not sure if it can be done in bc. However after graduation you can do it and then file a copy at your local clerk of courts. Make copies. When the kids are relocated on a base after bc, this and other are available with assistance (wills, livingwill etc.)
Attachments:
Hi Steve's Mom, thank you so much for responding and sending that document. This info is exactly what I needed. So if I understand this correctly I can take this form to with me to his graduation, have him sign it, notarized and then file it when I get home locally ?
I created my own form, Power of Attorney from a a legal site, printed it, as well as a form letter where he signed and printed his name and dated all. I was able to file his taxes and if the check comes and not directly deposited. I let them keep a copy and I keep originals for future things that might come up that need to be taken care of. I hope this helps. If you have a friend who is a Lawyer, he might do it for you for nothing.
If your kids won't go for the power of attorney, and alot won't, remind them when they start to have problems with bills, on each base, they have areas that can help them with this stuff. If they go to their command, they can direct them to the right people. If that doesn't seem to help, have them go to the chaplan, or legal services.
OK , I truly hate to speak of this. But I have to ask someone who knows.
A lot of my friends & family asked my WHY I would allow my son to join during war time.
I didnt not encourage or discourage my son either way, this was his choice. My job is to support his choice.
Now for the hard part.
I had thought that NAVY means ocean, not ground.
I have been told that no matter what branch you serve for, you WILL spend your time in Iraq.
Is this true ?
not necessarily, my husband spent 22 years in the Navy, and during the war in the early 90's he was a recruiter, he did not go anywhere, his job did not change. He had a lot of kids that wanted to join specifically to go to war, but he was required to tell them they may never see any action. I was a Navy Reservist and in 2003, I was recalled to active duty and sent to Iceland. I never "saw any action" I just served my time and came home. My son is now active duty, and I prefer not to say where he is, but he will not be going overseas.
Thank you so much Melanie
This is why these forums are so important.
Thank you again.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service