This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
What is your advice?

"One thing I do recommend, if it's all possible. Be sure to try and attend their graduation. You send the Navy a teenager, and the next time you see them, they have grown and matured, and you will be in utter awe. I wish I could re-meet his company commander and tell him about the most astonishing young man that they helped on his way. He's gone from the obnoxious teenager to a man that is so very proud of his leadership skills and knowledge. The Navy was the best thing for him, and it's amazing to see the transformation over the years." – Jean Cabral

http://www.navyformoms.com/profile/navyformomsadmin

Views: 507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

glad to help! God bless you and your son!
Yes Navy personal have land duty also, not just ocean. They can and are inbetted in with the Marines all over the world. In the Middle East they call the Navy "Sand Squids". :) Kinda cute and true :)
Karen, Good for you and thank you for your reply as to why you allowed Matt to join. No Mother chooses for her child to be put in harm's way. But, though I got a lot of advice when I became an adult, no one made decisions for me except me, and I give all my children the same respect. I have now and have always prayed a lot--being a Mother is the most difficult job on earth. Kudos to your son and I will add him and you to my prayer list as he is serving in Iraq. I hope you keep us posted about how he is doing while he is deployed and if he needs care packages, let us know.
A lot of rates will likely never see Iraq, specifically submariners. I don't know for sure about surface rates, but from what I've been told, you have to volunteer to get sent to Iraq, because it counts as a shore duty. Like I said, I don't know from experience, but that's what I've been told.
What you were told about being sent to Iraq is misinformation, however. I will not be sent there, and I don't know anyone who has between boot camp, two schools in Charleston, and my prototype experience in Saratoga.
Maybe, maybe not. I am amazed at how many people don't understand that there cannot be simply ships ... the Navy has a fully developed air program, there's Naval air bases all over the world, plus the ports need sailors on shore duty to support the ships and subs, training commands, hospitals, weapons stations, special forces, intelligence, personnel, communication stations ... ships cannot begin to hold it all. If the skills a sailor has are required in the sandbox, then that sailor may be assigned there. The Armed Forces do work jointly at times, and sometimes that means Naval detachments on the ground, or Individual augmentation. Sailors are resources, just as any other military service member. Iraq can happen to anyone in the military.
Sorry to change gears here,
But I was wondering if anyone knows what is like to do a sport / music / color gaurd for the Navy.
I would assume that they still do there regular jobs? Or does that become there job ?
My son may try out for a sport, he is suppose to talk to the coach after boot camp. I just wanted some insider information. :)
Thank you Ladies.
At 10:06am on March 3rd, 2008, Barb Pruitt said…
Hey all, there are also organizations that you can contact in your area called Military moms, if you look them up on the internet you may find something in your area, that way you have support in your home town area. Delete Comment At 10:02am on March 3rd, 2008, Barb Pruitt said…
Hi all, thanks for getting this site up. My name is Barb Pruitt, for any of you new moms, I come from a long line of military in my family, father, father in law, aunts, uncles and most important husband, daugher and son. For any new parents, here are a few bits of info about graduation that you may need if you have never been to great lakes before. EARLY EARLY EARLY on graduation day, you really have to be there at 6 - 6:30 in the morning to get good seats ( by that I mean seats in front of you kids division ) they do have some handicap seating but I have found in the past it is first come first serve. The roads in get kind of congested and you can sit for hours in line, if you do a drive by the day before it is VERY helpful. Some of the lanes end, and it really helps to know where in advance. That way you don't sit in a line that ends and you have to move to a new lane. If you haven't told your kid to order you the Keel which is the yearbook for their graduating class write them quick and ask them to. It is really nice to have after they graduate and almost impossible to get after graduation. They also do a movie they can order when they get their pictures taken. It is nice to have to show family and friends that don't make it to graduation. That you used to be able to order later, but I believe it was very limited when my daughter graduated. You will have a great time, the graduation is wonderful, not to long, it will feel like it takes forever when you just want to go squeeze your kid. But it really doesn't last that long. Have fun, and remember to send your kid LOTS of letters, that is one of the few things they have to look forward to. It is also the only chance to get info from them. Some kids will only get one chance to call. If you get letters saying they hate it, it is the most awful thing they have ever done, have faith, it is over quick, and they will enjoy everything after. Delete Comment
Karen,
I just read your reply from a few days ago, and just wanted to say thank-you.
My son has ALWAYS wanted to be in the military also. And when this war started he never waivered.
He had a full scholership to the merchant marine academy, and decided to go enlisted into the Navy instead.
And didnt even pursue officer ? I didnt think this was very wise, but I never said a word of dicouragement. I did ask him if he had thought everything out. Then I sat back and was supportive of his choice.
I cant say this would have been my choice for him, BUT I am so proud of him, and I trust his choice's.it takes a special person to volenteer for any military service. But these men/wemon
who do this, these are the hero's that have made America.
To those who ask why would you allow your son to join, because my son is a hero :)
(at least he is to me ) Tee-hee it is good to vent like that !
Molly,
I like your line of venting! (lol)
Great suggestions and great advice. I plan on arriving at PIR by 6 a.m. Any more suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated.
THanks for the hints on Graduation -- I've never been to Great Lakes before. Also, Thanks for the hints on writing letters....I realize they're busy and probably look forward to our letters!!
Thank you for this great advice. My son is scheduled to go to boot camp in march but is trying to get in earlier. do you know how that works and waht the chances are he will be called up earlier. The wait is so difficult for him. He cant really plan anything becaseu he wants to be ready to go when he gets the call. Thank you

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service