This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son left for bootcamp on Wednesday and I've been crying off and on ever since.  I feel so lost not beling able to call him, FB him or contact hm in any way.  I never thought it would be this difficult.  I'm really struggling. I'm not worried about his safety, just feel so disconnected, like he's gone forever.  He is my firstborn too, maybe that's it?   I don't know, but he reached this milestone that I feel like I wasn't prepared for.  Anyone else feel like that?

Views: 11912

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did a little research and googled Recruit Training Center. There are several pdf's you can download. Then call his recruiter or the Center itself.

My son is also on ship 02 the USS Reuben James he left Wednesday as well. It has been very hard for me to see him go but I am very proud of his decision and know this is what he wants to do.

My son is on Ship 2, Division 914.  Anyone out there with that same division? It's been 2 weeks, but seems like 2 years since I've heard from him..

My youngest daughter enlisted in the Navy in March of 2011, she left 2 weeks before Christmas. It seemed like we had forever to spend together until the week before she left and it seemed like there was not enough time to say everything I wanted to say and do everything I wanted to do with her. I raised both my girls on my own and in her whole 21 yrs of life we have never had a Christmas apart until now. I know how difficult it was for me I can't imagine how hard it has been for  her. The day she left I never let her see me cry. I spent that whole time hugging her and letting her know how much I love her and how proud I am of her and the decision she has made in taking this journey in the military. The minute she was out of sight I cried and I don't think I stopped for two solid days. I still have moments when I find myself engulfed in a memory and my emotions get the best of me. I felt like I was all alone in this until I found this website. We are all not alone and it nice to be able to see others and what they have to say about their experiences. I found myself totally relating to the woman who received her child's box of belongings from boot camp, my daughters box is still sitting in the corner.

I received my first letter from her last week and then yesterday I got that first real phone call. Not the half of a second call they give you to let you know they arrived at boot camp and then you hear the dial tone. I never knew a 20 min. phone call could mean so much. This is the longest we have ever been apart and it seem like forever. My daughter is doing what she always wanted by joining the Navy. She loves it so far and I know she will do awesome..doesn't mean I want have my own personal meltdowns while she is gone. I have written so many letters I think she has more than Santa gets at Christmas.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and helping us all to know that we are never alone during this journey as Navy Moms.

Just to let everyone know and I am not sure if it will help anyone else, but did help me some.  On Youtube they have navy boot camp videos that show some of what they are going through.   

It gets better. Hang in there. I'm a dad whose son left for boot camp on 11/9. His PIR is this coming Friday. We can't wait to see the ceremony. There's a saying that during boot camp, days seem like weeks and weeks go by like days. It's so true.

I remember standing over him as he slept the morning I had to wake him to take him to the recruiter on his way to MEPS and boot camp. I got a little emotional then watching him sleep and again now thinking about it. Other than the 30 second, 'I'm here' call, it was almost four weeks before we heard from him again. My wife was a wreck for the first few days. I went through Marine boot camp so I knew what was in store.

Today, he received a one hour phone call as a reward for his division winning an athletic competition. My how times have changed since that first few weeks. Again, hang in there. The rewards are so worth it.

Oh, I should add that my daughter left for Air Force BMT on 12/27.

It does get better, trust me and the others that have been throught this.  Get yourself a bunch of paper and some pens and start writting those letters.  That is what helped me get through that first year.  I would write the littlest things from the birds waking me up to the cat, his cat, catching one to his Dad and sister arrguing.  I felt that all the letters i wrote would make him know that we thought about him all the time, everyday.  And please make sure that you put how Proud you are of them.  Remember they get homsick too, well when they have down time which is not much.  Work, eat, work, eat, work eat sleep.  That is there day.  They are going to make great friends too.  My Sailor was lucky enough to go through boot with 3 others and they are still in schooling together.  So hang in there and know it's normal to miss them so very much and crying is a good way to vent.  I do mine in the shower, lol...  We are here for you and totaly understand

I just wrote my first letter to him this morning,   even though I can not send it until I get his address it made me feel better.

I said nothing about what I am going through other than we miss him and love him very much.

Are we allowed to send photos to them why they are in Boot Camp?

Melissa...have you tried calling the recruiter for the temporary address? Yes you can send photos...most scan them and send copies of them easier to store and if lost not big deal. When did he leave?

He left on January 5 from Tampa.   He had a couple other guys go with him so I know at least he knows a couple people.   That makes me feel better.   I am sure he will make life long friends when he gets there.   This website has made me feel better,  I am still lost without him but my 13 year old daughter keeps me on my toes.  

Most of the photos I have are digital so I can just print them  out.  I will call the recruiter tomorrow and see if he has a temp address thanks for the info.

I am hoping I get to be lucky like Marlene and get a call soon,   I told him not to call the house number but to call my cell so I don't miss the call if I am out.   Hopefully he remembers that.   He had so many things on his mind that he may forget.   

My husband works out of state so if he does not get in contact with me hopefully he will call him.   Unfortunately due to my husbands works schedule he could not be here to send our son off.   My mother was there and I took my daughter out of school so she could see him before he left also.  I just wish I could have gotten there earlier.  The recruiter told us they would pull out about 1.   So I headed to MEPS at 11:00am  when I got there he was in briefing and when he got out I had literally 1 minute to hug him and tell him I loved him.    That crushed me.  I wanted to spend a little more time with him.

My understanding is that they have a single desk-drawer sized locking compartment. It was suggested to send only wallet size photos.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service