This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I have a son thinking about joining the Navy. I have heard so many positive,but I know there has to be negative things about it to. He has talked to me and I know he wants to but is just scared that there is stuff he just don't know about it. Please can someone help me.

Views: 289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He will not be alone once he joins the Navy.  For many of us, the Navy becomes an extended family.  Of course no one likes everyone else, but I have made deep, lifelong connections with many of my shipmates.
I told him everyone joining is leaving there friends and families at home and he will make new friends. My husband just says he is a momma suck and he will be fine, I know deep down he will but when he is upset I'm upset and my husband is not very understanding and just says I need to cut the cord.

My husband was kind of the same way - always claimed that our son was a momma's boy. And maybe he was a little - I had to back off a little and let him grow up and do things on he own. And now he's flying solo - and doing a fine job too.

It's hard to let go of our boys. I know I about broke my heart to let him go. My hubby's too - for all his bluster!

You and your hubby talk to the recruiter with your son so you all can ask questions. What one person doesn't think of the others will. That way you all know whats going on. And then talk about it at home with each other. Thats what we did. Then let your son make the decision whether the Navy is the right choice for himself. It's hard not to influence them with our own feelings.

My son grew up tenfolds joining the Navy. It was the best choice for him.  Good luck

Hi Jane, I was reading your post, and I just wanted to comment, its amazing to me how diffrent fathers view sons than mothers do. Sons are attached to moms more because lets face it.....we know where they came from!

My son has done very well since leaving the nest for the Navy.It was his decision at a very emotional time for our family. But it was his decision,  I decided to let him cut the cord, and although it has been hard for me....OMG he is so AMAZING!!!! The Navy turned him into a responsible, productive memeber of society. He takes care of his own business, can get himself dinner, (yes, my big baby boy). I can already see he will be a wonderful husband and father some day.

You will always be his mom. Always. We just wont always be his mommie. But dont worry, this hopefully will be a gradual transition.

Good luck, and God Bless!

D'sMum35

My son was home sick too - at first - was scared to leave home - everything he had ever known - but now he talks about all these great new people and friends he has met! He so excited for the future and can't wait to meet it head on. Like Anti M says he will not be alone - everyone he will be with will be in the same boat as your son. ( no pun intended) :) These will be his family.

Our daughter also in the Navy, came home on leave for the first time since she left early in 2010. She was glad to be home but soon realized that home was not the same as it was. After about 1 week, she decided that her life in the Navy was the place to be. She missed her new family and life and couldn't wait to return. Don't get me wrong she missed us and her old friends. But I was happy to see that the choice to go in the Navy was a good one for her and she was happy with it.

My son signed his first set of papers tonight, he goes next week to take his ASVAB test. Wow things seem to be moving way to fast. I have a question he will not be 18 until later this year, will he still be able to go at 17 or will he have to wait until he is 18 .
He can go in at 17 if you sign the papers.
I signed a paper today stating the info. He filled out was correct. Is that the paper that let's him go in at17 or will I have to sign another paper.

I think - Correct me if I'm wrong Anti M - Once he passes his ASVAB and decides to actually join the Navy - there will be another set of paperwork that will need to be filled out and sign by both your son and you as parents. Both of my kids joined when they were 17 and we has to sign tons of paper to give them permission to join.

I honestly don't know what paperwork goes with what stage, been too long since I signed mine, and I wasn't a recruiter.  There IS a recruiter in the New Moms group, he'd know for sure.  Let me know if you can't find the group on here, it is really very helpful.
Read the forums, talk to people who have served in the Navy.  My son went to boot camp last week and I feel good about it.  He is going to be a nuke.  There are positives and negatives to everything in life, I think it depends a lot on your view point.  My husband spent 23 years in the Navy and retired from it.  He had a strong influence on my son (his step son) chosing the Navy as a career and I feel good about it. 
Jane, once my son took the ASVAB and talked to a Navy job councilor (don't know the official word for it) he was crazy excited about a certain job. I happened to know two people who retired as Master Chiefs in that exact rate so called them and asked if we could visit with them about my son's opportunities with that job. I'm sure there is a Naval Reserve Officer or even the recruiter that might be able to recommend someone to talk to, once they determine what your son is qualified for, that would also put your mind at rest. We lucked out in knowing some people but it made a world of difference in talking to someone who actually did the job. The recruiters don't know the ins and outs of all the rates so they make broad sweeping generalities. Oh well!  Good luck to him and I'm sure this is a great opportunity for him!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service