This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

So after searching on this site (and Craig's Depper site) for several hours, I either couldn't get a straight answer or the info was from 2009 or earlier, so I wasn't sure it was still accurate.

We are on recruiter #3 who seems more interested in filling her quota than giving us the answers we want and actually tried to talk me OUT of going down in January to his first MEPS visit, so I don't trust her at all. There is a bunch of info on this site about NOT accepting any rate simply because you want to enlist and don't want to go down to MEPS again (not a big deal for us, only 1 1/2 drive although it is missed work time), or don't want to wait for your rate to open up, but I don't want him to be in a vulnerable situation after going through the whole MEPS ordeal that he'll take anything they throw at him, so I know the more homework we do before we go, the better, and yes I know nothing is guaranteed until they put his ASVAB, AFQT and physical results together. It tooks like I'm allowed to see the contract before he signs it, is that right? Am I allowed in the room? Is that the final contract, or does he sign another one at the final MEPS visit before he actually ships out?

He scored 82 on his ASVAB and total 223 on his AFQT and we're told he qualifies for almost anything except nuke. We were shown the AFQT breakdown on a computer screen. Is there any way to get the breakdown so we can actually look at it to find out what rates he qualifies for? Son will be a Depper as he doesn't graduate till June 2012.

Also, it looks like anything AW (any aircrew?) and obviously any SWCC and Spec Ops (redundant?) rates require SERE training, but are there any other not so obvious rates that require it? Son is not afraid of hard work or beatdowns (been dealing with a-hole football coaches for 6 years that even made them drag tires till they puked), but simulated enemy capture is not on his list of fun things to do (tongue in cheek), so that would also be nice to know before we go down, too.

Also, one of the depper meetings each month is at 11am an hour's drive away. When I mentioned that it would be impossible for him to make that meeting (there is another one on a different day at 4pm he CAN make),  I asked if he needed to go to both meetings and they said yes, but we'll try and work with him. What does that mean? He can't make an 11am depper meeting in the middle of the week which will be a stain on his record, I'm guessing, but if he doesn't go to class, he won't graduate and then he can't enlist! 

On a lighter note, thanks to this site, I actually knew more than the recruiter did about a bunch of things, like where A school is for HM (San Antonio not GL), how many days between yr 17th and 18th bday eligible to go to BC (90 not 30), and a lot of others, which I have to admit was satisfying, to say the least. 

Hope everyone's loved one is safe and sound, wherever they are, this holiday season.

Views: 1971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can speak to the DEP meetings. If he is in school, that is what he is to be doing at that time and he cannot be expected to make a DEP meeting at that time. I know that when my son didn't return a phone call that he received during the school day that the person making the call was in trouble, not my son, when he reported the call to the Recruiter or whoever it was who was in charge.

It has been a while since my Sailor was in DEP and he went to MEPS without me and told me later about it, so I don't want to give you any false info on MEPS--he was living with his dad at the time and was also 18, so he signed for himself. Just let him know to not sign for Professional Apprentice Career Training (PACT) or Undesignated (they mean the same thing)without truly understanding it and its implications for him.  If he signs a contract for PACT (UNDES), then he will not be able to strike for a particular rating or request an A School for 12 months after he is in.  He should have a list of several ratings that he is interested in rather than just one and he will find things may be easier for him.  Others have indicated that they went with their son/daughter to MEPS and that the son/daughter was able to come out and discuss things before signing the fnal contract. 

On the age issue, the rule now is that the Future Sailor must turn 18 within 60 days from leaving for BC. See Latest Navy Eligibility Changes from April 13, 2011 to find out more on this.

That is great info, thanks a lot.

Off the top of my head, from what I have read on this site, the final contract is at MEPS right before they go, and you are not allowed in with them.   However, I can't begin to recall which of the discussions I read that in, sorry.

Paging Craig.....

Thanks, Anti M, I think I've read that, too, although I guess the initial contract at least gives you a clue, right? It wouldn't be a complete 180 from first to final? That's where knowing his AFQT scores could come in handy at least to begin with.

I can't imagine they would simply switch it.  But then, there are mistakes made.  

Anti - You're correct.  The sailor is the only one allowed in.  The sailor is suppose to be adult enough to make the decision.  They want it to be their decision and not the GF, wife, mom, or dad.  What happens is it becomes a debate on what should be taken, and by the time they decide, the rating is gone.  I actually went in and saw this.  The only reason I was allowed in if because they knew I'm a retired Navy guy and wanted the info for my deppers website.

This future recruit needs to list down 5 ratings that he would like to do.  If any one of those ratings happen to come up then he needs to decide if he should take it.  If he holds out, he will be consider "job locked" and no one will ever work with him.  This might be the reason he's on his 3rd recruiter.  Just guessing. 

The score of an 82 truly means nothing.  It's the other scores that make of those ones that determine if you are eligible or not.  Those score will tell the Navy what he is eligible for.  (see below for an example).

Per the DEP meetings, they will work with him.  He needs to start trusting someone anyone....  If he doesn't have that trust, then he really should try for another service that he does have that trust.  

What lemonelephant is telling you is correct, here are the official rules.  

Note 1: 17 year old applicants may enlist into the Delayed Entry Program but may not ship prior to their 18
birthday, unless their 18 birthday will occur no later than 60 days from date of shipping. All other notes regarding enlistment of 17 year old applicants still apply.

Note 2: Parental or guardian consent is required if the applicant is unmarried and 17 years old. Married, 17 year old applicants normally do not require parental or guardian consent. Applicants under 17 are not acceptable for enlistment. Use DD Form 1966, Section VII, for parental or guardian consent

Thanks, but this doesn't really tell me anything new. I already said I knew the 82 meant nothing and asked how we could get a hold of the AFQT scores we saw on the recruiter's computer. Also, apparently at the FIRST MEPS visit I am allowed to review the contract before he signs it, not at the final visit before he ships. He will be 18 before he graduates from high school, so when his birthday is, doesn't apply. I was just using that as an example of how helpful this site can be. No one has responded to my question about what rates require SERE training.

SERE training is classified, which is why you aren't getting answers easily.  From what I've been reading this morning, technically, anyone can be sent to SERE, but most are not.  I am getting the feeling there is no master list of rates which must attend SERE, at least, not one we would be privy to.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks, Anti M. My reading about SERE indicates that it includes a lot of the aircrew rates, or anyone who could potentially be captured, or end up behind enemy lines, which makes sense. The reason we're asking is he is interested in becoming AC, air traffic controller, which we know  is highly competitive (but reach for the stars right?), but is also included in the AW rates, many of which go to SERE. Thanks again for the info.

Anyone know how we can get AFQT line scores from recruiter?

AC is one of those overmanned rates. Had a girl working for me that went in 3.5 years ago with a 5 year contract, was out in 3.5, only because it was overmanned. They asked if she wanted to get out. So pick a few rates. Even though it is overmanned they may have openings. If he chooses AC, and gets to 2-3 years there is a potential he may have to leave or strike for another rate, has nothing to do with him being a good sailor, just downsizing in the Navy.

Thanks. Still trying to get the AFQT scores so we know what he qualifies for.

His recruiter should be able to provide the requested line scores to your son once the recruiter makes the request to the system and retrieves them.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service