This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi, my name is Katie, and I am thinking of joining the Navy. Right now, I'm 21 and enrolled at a community college with a very good GPA. I could transfer to a good school, and probably go without paying any tuition. Still, I feel uncertain about it all. I just don't think I could spend 2 or 3 more years of my life going to classes, and working as a waitress.

My reasons for joining:

I want to grow up, and become independent.

My parents are not doing well financially, because they are having to pay for three of my brothers (and all their mistakes, because they have not become independent). They have simply become burdens to my parents. I'd like to send money back home to them. 

Education.

Possibly seeing the world.

Having a secure living.

The benefits included afterwards, such as the GI Bill.

Meeting new people.

Excitement.

I will go to see a recruiter on Friday with my parents. I have heard they can be much like car salesmen. Basically, I'd like the honest truth about the Navy. What is a day in the Navy like? What will I be expected to do? What are the downsides to life in the Navy? I want to hear the bad side; the stuff the recruiter most likely won't tell me. Then, I can decide if Navy life is for me. I'd hate to choose it, then find it isn't!

Also, I would greatly appreciate any experiences from a mother who's daughter is in the Navy. Are they glad they joined?

Thanks for any replies,

Katie

Views: 5416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats and you now belong to a huge Navy family! My son is going to Pensacola on 3/27/10 for IT for college. Just remember you can do anything and you have alot of people proud of you! I know you will do fine and remember after boot camp it is a new world for you. I am proud you chose to join and you passed your physical .... Good Luck and please add me if you like, and have fun!
I love the idea of being part of the Navy family! I'm also glad that your sons is doing well. Thank you for the wonderful reply, Cathy. Oh, man! I am not looking forward to bootcamp at all!
Cool i got the same rate but i ship out a little earlier june 23 you never know we might run into each other in basic or A-School. did u get any incentives for signing up such as advanced rank or a signing bonus ( i got 10k bonus and go in as an E-3!!!)
Because of my college credits, I'll go in as an E-2 for sure, maybe E-3 (I have both semester and quarter hours, so I don't know how they figure them together). My recruiter hasn't got back to me on that. I asked about a bonus while I was at MEPS, but was told they weren't really offering them. I guess I didn't push enough? No fair! Congratz on the bonus, and advanced rank. Did they just plain offer them?
Was there some special reason you got a bonus? You got the rating IT (Intelligence Technician or Informations Systems Technician), right? Sorry, I just want to confirm all this in case I decide to bring it up to my recruiter. I feel like I got cheated. O_o
Hi Katie. My 32 year old son Brooks joined the Navy last year. He has a blog http://usnavymc.blogspot.com/ which includes his experiences so far. It's pretty informative and fun to read. Check it out. I'm sure he'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. Good luck to you.
Thank you for the link, Lois! I skimmed over your son's website, and it looks, just like you said, very informative. Really gives you a look into what it's like. I'll sit down later, and really go through it. This should help me a lot. Thanks, again!
katie, i commend you for exploring your navy options. take advice with a grain of salt. what is right for someone else may not be the path you should choose. choose a path which is best and right for you. listen to your gut. you have to think about yourself first for a while. building a future for yourself is what you need to do. i realize you feel a family obligation, but honestly, their problem is not your problem. help if you can, but just doing for yourself is enough. my daughter sounds a like like you. she gave up a college scholarship to enlist. my first thought was... what are you thinking???? but looking back, it was the best decision she could have made. because of the economy, etc., athough all of her friends were successful and talented students the majority of them have had to drop out of college and now can't find jobs. sometimes college just is not enough. thank goodness she realized that. she, too was encouraged to explore the officer route, and she qualified for nuke school, but that was not her choice. it was not her style. jump to two years later.... she is attached to a fighter squadron and loves the works she does! so my best advice is... educate yourseld and make the best decision for YOU! the best of luck to you and please lest me know what you decide. i am here for you if you have any questions
Thank you for the motivating words, jking. I also agree that college is not enough, or not the right path for a lot of people. Your daughter sounds like she made all the right choices, and is doing very well. I hope I will, too!
hey katie, my name is kurt and im an IT in the navy. i somehow ended up on your page while googling but anyways if you have any questions i might be able to help. as far as bonuses, they were offering 15,000 for an extra year when i enlisted a year ago. its cyclical though and based on supply and demand so if you really want one you might have to hold off going in until a later date if thats what you wanna do. bootcamp sucks, but its not that hard. it goes by pretty fast and they keep you busy. aschool will be down in pensacola. youll be on corry station as an it and its a lot more lax then being on nas. its lame cause you still have a ton of restrictions but youll still have fun. they call it corry high for a reason. we went to the beach like every day and stuff once we got to phase 3 liberty but now with that bp spill i dont know what its gonna be like down there. youll be there for about 3-4 months because you get stuck in holding before and after your classes. after that, you can end up with orders to pretty much anywhere. we had alot of people end up in hawaii, japan, italy in my class as well as san diego and norfolk. myself i got stuck with norfolk, va shore duty for 3 years. anyways, like i said, if you have any questions just let me know. and good luck the navy is what you make of it.
Thank you so much, Kurt! I really, really appreciate your reply. Anything that helps me know what to expect is practically a blessing right now. Yeah, so I apparently missed the 10K bonus by three days. I was too early. I asked my recruiter about it, and I think he may just be putting me off. Anyway... no bonus at all... trying not to get too upset about it. I'm too afraid to try and delay my ship date. I've wondered if I should, though. I am at least an E-2 right now thanks to college credits. Thank you for letting me know about A School! No one's really told me how it will be for an IT. And, yeah. I am very worried about the oil spill. I hope it doesn't ruin the experience. However, from what you told me... I feel a lot better about choosing to be an IT overall. I think I'm going to like it a lot. Thank you for offering to answer any questions! Really! I guess I do have a few. What is a day like as an IT? What do you do exactly? And, is there any extra schooling you can try to get besides just A School? Thank you in advance, Kurt!
It really depends entirely on what you're doing and where you get stationed. Every command is different. Ship and shore life are completely different. There are 3 different things that ITs deal with...message traffic, adp (computer hardware/software), and satellite communications. I work at a shore command and i only deal with adp. My command is an 8-4, mon-fri...but other places work rotating 12 hour shifts...12 hours on duty/12 hours off duty for four days. then they get the next four days off. then back to 12 on 12 off. but the shifts themselves actually rotate. so theyll work like 4am-4pm for four days when theyre working, then 12pm-12am for the next 4 days days of work, then 6pm-6am for the next 4 days of work...then start back again at 4 am-4pm and so on. it sounds weird and its long hours but you only work 15 days out of a month. then theres life on a ship...which is 12 hours on duty, 12 hours off duty 7 days a week when your deployed. its a good time. as far as extra schooling goes...while your in A-school you can ask about additonal C-schools for ITs and they will tell you you options. Theres also a bunch of certifications such as A+, Security+, and Networking+ that you will get once youre in the fleet.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service