This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I thought it would be nice to start a discussion for our children leaving the week of October 25th 2010.  Welcome everyone.  Kathy   

Views: 1544

Replies to This Discussion

Ladies, I know this can be a highly emotionally charged and intense time for the Recruit's and their families, but this forum is intended for mutual support and encouragement, not family drama. FYI: As creator of this discussion forum, kimcarl has the ability to delete any inappropriate comments, or to help you if you can't delete one you wish to. I've seen these dynamics before onsite, and the way they tend to play out, especially on these public (viewable on the world wide web) pages, benefits no one, least of all your Recruit. (Remember that his RDCs and Commanding officers will have equal access to these pages as well.) Please, refrain from further antagonistic postings that are contrary to the purpose of this Group and discussion page. We ask that you keep it between you two at home, or on the comment walls of your personal N4Ms pages. We are not interested in reading your name calling and finger pointing. Thank You.

Thank you too teachergirl for doing your best to be classy and respectful in your reply. It is unfortunate that each Recruit is only allotted 4 guest slots for PIR (children under the age of 12 not counting towards those) and one parking pass, as obviously these days, there are often divided families, with two sets of parents who both love and support their (Future) Sailors! The Navy however, has good reasons for limiting the amount of guests per Sailor.

Welcome N2fitness, your personal expertise and passions could be very helpful to some of our DEPpers who are trying to be well prepared for BC, both in this Oct Group and elsewhere in our other DEP/Future Sailor Groups. Again though, I would just ask that if you do participate in any discussions onsite, especially with other brand new Moms and Recruits, that you keep your posts positive, clean and encouraging!

As you said, there is plenty of room here for you both, to receive support and information. My best wishes to your "J"! :) It is all about him now. It's important that he be able to focus only on his preparation and BC training. Both now and in the future, it will be crucial to his overall wellbeing, and his success as a Sailor, that he does not have to dwell upon or worry about what may be going on at home.
Exactly! And when my children read posts on several public forums making comments not in a positive manner regarding their mother it does upset them. This website is great for support for those whose children are about to enter a new world for themselves as their familes. Jordan is the third of 5 to be leaving the nest and at this point doesn't feel much different than sending one of our kids off to college. I'm sure emotions will change as he gets is orders in the near future. Best wishes to everyone and may God keep the recruits and their families safe.
I am sorry,Angie, that you all had to see this. I will withdraw from the site. I can only go with what I believe to be true at the time. Sorry for any discomfort here, folks.
Teachergirl, I am sorry that you feel you have to withdraw, either from our "Leavin'" group, or the N4Ms site altogether. With over 35,000 members onsite and many Groups, there should be plenty of room for two moms who love future Sailor "J". I should point out that you were a member here before N2Fitness. I wouldn't dwell on what happened here. The other Moms have moved on (if they even saw or were bothered by these comments) and are focused on other things. Just wanted to remind you both of the group member guidelines and expected protocols. We do hope you will both allow each other some room, and respectfully continue to take advantage of the useful info and great support here onsite!
N2Fitness, my son went to college for 2 years before he enlisted. He lived on campus the first year, and then in a duplex with a roommate the second year. Although he crashed with us now and then, and visited often, (Sunday dinners and laundry trips mostly!) he never moved back home. So, I was probably in better shape emotionally than most Moms when it came time for him to ship out to GL. My son was already a full adult.

HOWEVER, I will say that the two goodbyes were very different, and sending your child off to college is nothing like sending your son or daughter off into the military! (Especially in light of the fact that they have enlisted during a time of war.) You are right, your feelings may change as your experiance with all this progresses, maybe not, time will tell. Just keep in mind that college kids can call, or come home, anytime they choose. They can quit anytime they want, with no real penalties except possibly a bad grade, a grumpy prof (or parents) and some loans to pay. You maintain some control over their choices and what happens when, you can make the arrangements for holidays and other special events work as you wish and need them too. None of this is so once your child raises his right hand and swears that final oath at MEPS the day before shipping out.

After that, Ma Navy calls the shots! Just thought I'd share that POV. A lot of Moms tell us that their non military friends don't "get it" and try to sympathize with and reassure them by saying that they know how it is, because they just sent their child off to college. You let us know how it is for you. :)
Hi Britt's Mom, actually, they have had Boot Camp graduations (i.e. PIR-Pass In Review) on the day before Thanksgiving AND on the day before Christmas for the past two years that I know of, maybe more. You'll know for sure when you receive your official Navy form letter, about a week or so after she leaves! Nothing like trying to plan when Ma Navy is in control of our calendars and calling all the shots! :-) Start writing everything down in pencil.

BTW: I had a fellow WA Statemate friend who tells a tearjerking tale of her daughter's struggle to pass her final PFT so that she would be able to do Battle Stations with her Division shipmates, pass, officially become a Sailor and graduate on time with her DIV/PIR Group. It was a week before PIR and all that hung on a 20 second deficit to her run!! So, please tell your girl that we urge her to keep working at her times and cardio now, do her best and even improve at BC (they really work with the Recruits) and neither she nor you will have any worries about her being able to pass that PFT or graduating on time! She sounds like a smart, determined and level headed young lady, Bet she'll thrive and excell in BC-and beyond! =)
Whoops, slight correction Britt'smom, the BC graduation I was recalling was only on Christmas Eve of 2008, not last year! We'll have to wait and see what they decide this year.
Sounds very familiar, Brittsmom. We should communicate!
Hi I just joined this group :) My name is Amy and my son Ryan leaves Oct 26th, we are from Cleveland. His rate is Logistics and he goes in as an E3 as he did 4 yrs NJROTC in HS. He will be going to Mississippi for A school. His recruiter told me today that based on the current time line his PIR will be Dec 24th. That will so suck :( Since only 4 people can go we were worried but we found out his nephew (will be 2 Oct 24th) can go but needs an ID. I am not comfortable getting a photo ID for a toddler that seems kind of silly to me. Is anyone else having this concern? Also if PIR is the 24th do they come home then since its Christmas? This also seems silly to me to PIR on Christmas Eve. We have a large extended family with steps and such. Any advice and shared experiences will be great :)
I would love to know this info as well... My son left today also on oct 26th from Albuquerque. I have 4 other children and I hope we can all attend. Two of the kids are 5 years old. Let me know if you find out about the ID thing.
Hey ladies, I just left a reply to Sara about the topic of Christmas PIRs on the main comment wall. Yes, A schools do stand down (close) for the holiday. Last years' 12/24 crew really made it special! They had a great time at their Meet and Greet and celebrating the graduation together! Think at least one Div of Moms all bought and wore Santa Hats. Great pics. Very festive and fun! :) Don't knock it 'til you try it. LOL You'll definately experiance a white Christmas there! =)

Btw: all Recruits technically enter BC at an E-1 paygrade, they are all considered SRs-Seaman Recruits. If they have previous ROTC/leadership experiance, college credits or have helped to Recruit a couple of others who sign up, they can qualify to earn an upgrade in the paygrade. :) That is why your sons expect to be an E-3 kimcarl and Aim, which if they passes everything in BC, they will be awarded prior to graduation and then be paid during A school and after as an E-3 . The tests for E-4 (PO3-Petty Officer 3rd Class) are given twice a year, so they may have a chance to take it next spring. :D

Drew'smom, excited AND sad, yep, very normal! :-) Being a Navy Mom is to often experiance simultaneous opposite and conflicting emotions such as bittersweet, pride and dread, happy but fearful etc.
Again, amend my statement above to 2008's crew had a special time at PIR on 12/24! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service