This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Hi, I am a Seal wannabe mom. Looking for other moms that are dreading Pre buds and then the big move to California for Buds after graduation.

Views: 1008

Replies to This Discussion

Ditto--I can't wait for PIR! I walk into my son's room everyday, just to feel close to him and I can't tell you how many times I have re-read his letter...I am hopeful for another letter today!
Hey Bri I thought I was the crazy mom!! HAHA. I go in and straighten the comforter on his bed (like it was ever made when he lived at home) just to have an excuse to myself to go in there. I can't wait for PIR (22 Days) but who is counting and we are going to the Meet and Greet. Have you made your hotel reservations? Where should I stay. I reread his letter too but I have it memorized as it was only 8 lines long. HAHA He is a man of very few words I guess!! Praying for a letter when I get home!!!
Good morning, I have been silly too, I have not even washed the clothes they sent home in his box yet. It has been hard only getting one letter ,as I am sure he is writing to a few girls instead of mom! I know this was going to happen so I am not too sad about it but I still look for a letter mid week. Cant wait for PIR also. Not sure if we will make meet and greet but we will try. Are any of your sons worried about getting out of shape at boot camp? Glad they have pre buds so they can get prepared again. Hope everyone has a great day and we all can get a letter or call soon.
So Proud mom I'm guessing you cleaned your son's room too? I tore my son's room apart, washed all of his laundry, but one tee-shirt. :) I had to leave one thing unwashed--(I completely understand sdcalrmom. I almost didn't wash my son's clothes that came back either).
I am pretty sure that we will be going to meet and greet (wish you were able to go bonos mom), but we don't have our travel plans made yet. I don't know about hotels yet either. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am thinking that maybe we should PM that info to each other. Maybe AngiefromWa Buds mom can give us some advice on that.
No mail for me either :(
I was going pretty strong from my son's last letter, but now I'm finding myself looking longingly at the mail box and tearing through the mail once again. I guess I can't help myself.

I took my son's last letter directly to the post office. The clerk put a flower stamp on the envelope before I could stop him. I blurted out, "I thought you would put a flag stamp on it!". I tried to explain that my son might get made fun of, but he just kind of looked at me.
Too funny!
My son would be the one sr to get in trouble if I sent anything other than a letter in a plain white envelope. :)
Well, Brie, time to educate the mail carriers at that post office! Don't worry, I think your son will survive a flower stamp in his letter. :)~

To answer your previous post: I guess as a Spec Ops Mom, I would not do what this group did, but they did leave a handy list of some of the more well known places to stay so you can research them yourself:

http://www.navyformoms.com/forum/topics/where-is-everyone-staying?g...

I know more recently, there have been a couple more hotels built that have seemed to get good reviews from our members so far. Check your PIR packet from RTC too. Think there's a list and phone #'s in there too. I would definately stay away from the Red Carpet Inn and the Econo Lodge! Beyond that, it's really up to your preferences, needs and budget and how far away from the base you want to be. :) Guernee and Waukeegan are just up the road. If you don't need a suite or a swimming pool and/or continental or full breakfast buffet, then hands down, for the quiet, relaxed atmosphere, location, nice staff and unbeatable price, I would recommend the Navy Lodge! (It is on the base housing side, 5 minutes away, NOT on RTC) Nothing 5 star or fancy, but it's clean and very secure, with kitchenettes, specify that you want a full walk-in one. There is no free wifi though, and if you want a shuttle, you'd have to call a local service, as they don't provide one. A car is a must anyways to get around GL, and get your Sailor back to base on time each day, so you have to decide whether you are riding or driving on base on PIR morning.

To address your concern about posting where you are staying, I applaud your caution. These are public pages, their RDCs can read them, true, but I'm always more concerned about the "unknowns" out there to whom you would have just announced that you will a. be leaving your home empty for x amount of days and b. telling everyone publicly exactly where you will be staying, with your new Spec Ops Sailor. It probably wouldn't be a big deal in the scheme of things, but you might as well start erring on the side of caution, operating on the "less is more", "loose lips sink ships side of things now". So PM away! :)

Hope more letters are on their way for you all soon!
Thank you Angie! Your're like our fairy godmother, popping in with helpful advice and words of wisdom at all the right moments :)
ROFL well, now that's a new one Brie! :) I've been thanked and called other (mostly nice) things onsite over the past two + years, but never a Fairy Godmother! My hubby got a good chuckle out of that! =)

I originally only meant to pop in for a day and don't want to overstay my welcome, (like those annoying relatives who don't know when it's time to go home!), so I've tried to stay in the background and offer assistance when you all haven't been able to figure it out for yourselves or are hearing conflicting info. I like being able to add color commentary and read about/cheer for good news too! :)

Can't wait to hear the results of the cards received by tsmom's son. Some RDCs have a pretty good sense of humor, some don't. My son had to do 8 counts (push ups, sit ups) every time he received more than 4 pieces of mail in one day. (I wrote a letter each day) In light of their "lack" of physical conditioning level, I too figured I was just doing my part to "help" keep my Recruit in shape! LOL He apparently agreed, because he wrote "Mom, It's WORTH it, so please, keep them coming!" =}
my son's grandparents got a letter yesterday but we have only had one. they scanned and emailed it to us . It was about a day in his life at bootcamp . my parents were trilled. they put a self addressed stamped envelope into the letter they sent him . think that made it easy for him to write back imediately. I am waiting also!!! :(
No letter for me either yesterday :(
My son told me that the only chance he gets to write is on Sunday and he is in chapel during that time. So, I don't really hold out any hope for getting a letter this week. However, that won't stop me from going through the mail expectantly.
I think next week is the start of battle stations. My understanding is that battle stations is two weeks before PIR. I really don't know if that is accurate. Does anyone know for sure?
Brie, they will start BS the Thurs before PIR. They take a couple of Divisions every night, except for Fri/Sat (Captains Cup on Sat am) through Weds. Thursday, the night before PIR is a last ditch, second chance night for anyone who didn't make it though. (rare, but it does happen) . The Recruits have to pass all their other tests and final runs to be eligible to participate with their Div in Battle Stations.

I know it's hard, but they are SO busy right now. They just simply have to choose to take care of/do other things, or study, during the time on Sunday they would have to write! They will as they can and make extra calls as they earn the privileges to. You can definately look forward to their "I'm a Sailor" call after BS. :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service