This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

I dropped her off at the recruiting office and managed to get out the door without breaking down. I told her this morning that while many of her peers are out partying,not studying in college, and otherwise messing around, she is going to serve her country. I am very proud of her.

Views: 515

Replies to This Discussion

I also know what you are going through.  My daughter 21, arrived at GL on 2/19 and I got "the box" 2/22.  Anxiously awaiting "the letter" so I can mail these letters! 

I have been pretty much useless since she left!  Can I say how glad I found this website though!!! Thank God!

Yup, useless pretty much describes me too, much of the time. This website is awesome. I actually look forward to reading the posts. Good for you for writing letters! My SR told me she cried (not like her) when they finally gave them their mail and a stack of letters had piled up for her! If you received the box on the 22nd, the letter should come pretty soon. I know it varies some exactly how long but I got my letter within a couple days. Just don't do what I did and pre-address the envelopes with her name--turns out they have a special format for names AND address. Also, another mom recommended numbering the letters, which I did, so my SR would be able to read them in order. 

Take care!

Momma Bear,

So glad you got your letter and can now send her all your letters!!!  Those letters from our sailors are so precious.  I still have all the letters from all three of my sailors!!!

melberta,

I hope you get your letter this week!!!  Keep us posted on your girl is doing.  You too Momma Bear!!!!

Got the letter! YIPEE!!  ship 11, div 105 

PIR 4/12

Here we come GL!!

CONGRATULATIONS melberta!!!!  So happy for you!!!!

Hi Moms of Daughters, mine left for BC 0n 3/5, I got the box and form letter, mailed out my first 5 today. I miss her and am anxious to hear from her .It is comforting to know that in a few weeks I will see her, albeit only briefly, since her A school will be in Pensacola.

Hi moms, so nice for all this support from all of you!!! My daughter left this morning for bootcamp. I took the day off yesterday and today to watch her get sworn in and I felt such happiness seeing her sparkle in her eye of pride and joy. I am proud of my baby girl and just got off the phone with her as she just landed in Chicago. 

Hi Momma Bear!

My name is Liz, and my daughter, who is 22, will be leaving for BC on April 17th -- in only 2 weeks!  My stomach is in a constant state of butterflies.  She is going to A school in San Antionio to become a Master at Arms. I can't imagine that because she is only 5'1" and weighs all of 110 pounds. This was her decision, though, and I am proud of her even though I am a wreck.

How are you holding up? Your daughter has been away for a couple of months now.  And how is she doing?

Hi Liz,

I'm glad you joined this group. I remember the anticipation and nervousness I felt before my daughter left for boot camp in January. It's something we moms have to go through, over and over again, with our kids. But preparing for them to leave for the military, especially daughters, is particularly intimidating. I will be honest, the first two weeks after my daughter left for boot camp, I was a wreck. I went to work, didn't talk to anyone unless I had to, and was very grumpy. I cried a lot. And worried a lot. And I tried to be good to myself by not pushing too hard to do things I didn't want to do other than the bare necessities. Then the last two weeks before PIR seemed really slow. I could barely stand it waiting to make the trip to Great Lakes. Then the day finally came, March 22, and it was great.  

I hope you will be good to yourself and enjoy this time you have with your daughter before she leaves. It is an awesome thing she is doing, giving up her independence to serve her country. And you will be OK as she prepares to go and, finally, when she does leave for BC. Stay close to this site. It's a godsend. Just take care to protect your daughter's anonymity while she's in BC. If you want to talk to another mom about specifics, do it via e-mail rather than on the forums. Also, people told my daughter something that helped her that you might want to share with your: Do not to take what they say and do personally. They have to break them down in order to build them up as team members who can work together. The time may come when their lives depend on their ability to do this.

Take good care. I don't check this site as much as I did while my daughter was in BC, so please understand if there's a delay in my response.

Best,

Deb, aka Momma Bear

Hi Deb -- Thanks for the great advice -- for both me and her.  My daughter'sr recruiter suggested she stay well under the radar.  Don't do anything to bring any attention to herself.  I didn't even realize I should protect her anonymity, but now that you say it, it makes great sense on many levels.  Which makes me wonder if I should change my screen name? I love your screen name, because I can relate to being a Momma Bear too!! 

Caitsmamma,

Since it seems your daughter has a unique first name, you might want to consider changing your screen name for the time being.  Sometimes these support groups can be like a double edged sword - - it's wonderful to have the support of others who are or have been in the same position as you are, but if you join the bootcamp groups, especially the one that have the same division or PIR date as your daughter, we have heard that some of the RDC's like to get on those same groups and just read what people post.  Keep in mind this only occurs when sailors are in bootcamp.  There would be no other way to figure out who we talk about once they go into the fleet.  So just to protect her and keep her under the radar, take out her name and just use yours or some other nickname.  You can always change it back once she finishes bc and A school.

Mt daughter left Monday April 1st 2013 so I am only 4 days in and i miss her so bad any support would be great I am still in a whirlwind of emotional messness.......... Dont know what to do but wait by the phone

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service