This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son leaves for bootcamp next week.  I am soooooooooo upset.  I was wondering how many others have children that have a college degree and enlisted?   My son is going into Nuke.  I am hoping to hear success stories!  Please share with me....

Views: 13462

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes...you will miss him. I miss both of my sons. One is station 4 hours from me and the other is in the middle east. One of the most difficult things for any parent is to let their child go on with their life. Be proud of his choice. Support him and he will take that support with him when he leaves along with your love. He can opt for officers training in the future if the Navy life suits him. My sons went through college on Navy Scholarships and therefore had a multi year contract after college. My older son has signed a new contract for five more years in the sub community. My younger son has a ten year commitment as a pilot. Love him and be proud
Doublemom...wow..what great kids you have! Thanks for you post...it was very supportive and you are right...our boys need our love and I am proud..or I will be once I stop crying..lol. Thanks for responding to me!
My son did the same thing. Your son made a very good choice. Officer school, further education (GI Bill) and Nukes get big bonuses. He will do just fine not to mention how his resume will look after the NAVY. God Bless.
NavyMom2, My son also has a college degree and chose to enlist. I found it strange at first but he feels it is best for him and he hopes to get a masters somewhere along the way. He leaves for BC in a month. I don't have a success story yet but give me a couple of years. Good luck to your son and thank him for me for his service to his country. I am so proud of mine and all the children that join. Kathy
I know EXACTLY how you feel. My daughter was an honors student in high school. She went off to Pharmacy school but didn't like the major . She came back to community college and got her associates degree. She went on to State University to pursue a degree in biology and ultimately go on to be a radiation therapist. She insisted that Biology was her life! She did one semester came home and told us she hated her major and enlisted in the Nukes program in the Navy!!! She had to wait almost a year until she could leave but will be leaving in 2 weeks for basic. As you can see, my daughter is very fickle when it comes to her educational choices. I am sooooo worried this is just another "bee in her bonnet" and after reading all that basic entails so fearful that she will hate this. I do have to say there is a part of me that hopes it will force her to grow up and be more responsible. But, I am fearful and worried for her!
Oh Labmom....I totally know how you are feeling..again..my son left on Tues for BC and I am sick but..in reading your post....I think the Nuke program will be PERFECT for you daughter. I have a biochem degree and when I got out of college..there was NOTHING to do with it (I am old..ha) except work for Dow Chemical or a pharm. company. While I still understand how you feel and besides that fact that my son is going NUKE too...I have joined the Nuke Mom's site on here and mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the program sounds interesting. HARD..but interesting...so hopefully your girl will find a home. I am hoping once Aaron gets out of bootcamp..I will feel better. On a positive note..I am on day Three of BC and you have two weeks to go so when you are in my shoes in two weeks...I am HERE to support you. I promise you..each day I feel a sliver better! I am fearful and worried about my boy as well and want to KILL him that he did this but..I keep saying it is his life and his choice (I have NO choice..mine is 24..lol).

Also..what has helped me is keep telling myself that once BC is over..they will be in school for two years and then after that....the Navy is just their EMPLOYER and nothing else....a 7 years total job and if I can last in mine for 23 yrs at the same company..he can do this!

Enjoy your day - Loretta
Thanks Loretta....It is the Boot camp part that scares me to death! Once that is over I guess I'll be more at ease, and considering the economy right now, at least she will have a job! I think I will check out the nuke Mom's site too. I have a degree in Chemistry and have been working in an environmental lab for 25 years! Sounds like our kids get their science interests form their mothers!
Keep us posted!

Lori
Pssst ... it is Navy boot camp. Goodness, I made it through! Not that it is all cake and pie, but it isn't Army or Marine tough for the most part. Other than the running, hardest thing for me was staying awake in class.
My son graduated with a communications degree. He enlisted this spring and is finishing up A school next week. He debated becoming an officer but wanted more experience in his field, asap. He also looked at the Nuke program but went into IT.

At first I didn't like the whole military idea, but he talked me into it. He did his research and made a great decision. And..he is loving it and is thriving! He got his orders and will be near public affairs, well suited to his education. He is excited about his future and we are too! I hope this helps!
My daughter went into the Navy enlisted with college degrees in Accounting, Finance and Economics! She's now an Electronics Technician and pretty much loves what she's doing. (Her recruiter did encourage her to go to Nuke school, but decided that ET was more interesting for her.) She's had a lot of opportunities to use her leadership skills especially when she was on "holds" for what seemed like forever when she was completing A School in Great Lakes. She should be hitting the fleet sometime in January after she finishes her "C" schools in Norfolk. Her plans for when she hits the fleet are to look at applying for OCS; begin work on her MBA; and start testing for her CPA. She was in the working world for 2 years after her college graduation and then decided she really wanted to do something more with her life.
Sounds like your daughter is a very motivated woman. You must be very proud!
My son had two degrees when he decided to join. The options for him to get into the field he wanted was so much better as an enlisted person. I have a daughter who is an Aerospace engineer and a Captain in the AF and she did not get as many options as he did. He went back to school and now has another degree and lots of options in the civilian market if and when he decided to get out.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service