This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My only son left today for bootcamp at Great Lakes and I am bittersweet. Even-though he is 26 years old and married with his own home and a great life it still makes me feel sad as a Mom. In 26 years we have never been apart for more than maybe a week to 10 days when either of us were on vacations or honeymoons without each other. I raised him alone until I decided to marry a man who is not his father so I feel that it is hard for anyone else to understand. I really want to reach out to anyone who has a son/daughter who left today to go to Great Lakes. I just put him on the airplane and he is in the air and I can't stop crying right now. 

Views: 936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Join the groups I mentioned above. The Page, Arrival and What Happens at the RTC, within Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) will let you know what is happening,

That is awesome, I wish I could talk to his Recruiter or someone but I can't talk to anyone. He has calling cards to call but I told him to call me collect and I am sure he will call or write as soon as he can. His Recruiter will contact his wife so I have to wait for her to relate to me what is going on. I agree no one could have prepped me for this either. My son stated at the airport "Mom, now I see why you said I don't want my you to go to the military". He said, he understands why it is so hard to let your child go, which was ironic for him to say that being that he is not a Dad yet but a husband however he has never been away from me all of his life so he had the same feelings I did about him leaving. Each day is getting a little easier but I still miss him sooooo dearly! You should check out the sites they have showing videos of the 8+ weeks. PIR Reference Information. It helped me greatly. 

I too checked out the sites and it was great info for sure, I recommend it highly.  I know that my son has been there for a total of 6 weeks as of yesterday and it does get easier on them and you as time goes by.  Emotions are heavy on both sides but your emotions do turn into pride filled moments and joy when you do hear from them.

My son has also never been away from home for more than 3 days until now, so yes, it is very hard... however with each new day we pray for his strength and courage to stay the course and God has faithfully done exactly that!  He has always been taught to lean on God for help and he is doing that exactly.  When he arrived he gave us the 411 on what to expect over the next couple of weeks.  He said to expect his belongings in a week and a call in two, and that was it, not a lot of time for much more!  

Then in less than a week his box came but I had already reviewed this website ans learned that most likely his mailing address wouldn't be in the box and to wait for it to arrive shortly.  Sure enough it was not in his box and it took just about two weeks to get the letter with his mailing info and graduation date.  

That letter came on a Thursday and he called for the first time the following Saturday, which was 2 days short of two weeks from when he left.  

Once you get his address your focus turns to the mailbox and phone for contact and the emotions do get better.  Just by my son's experience, they stay so busy the first week and a half that it just flies by very quickly and then they get to call.  After that first call comes, and they get to connect with home life...yes an emotional first time call, it re-leaves them so much. Once the initial contact has been made it does level out, I promise.  This is a really great training time for them especially learning how to take instructions from authority, work together as a team and take responsibility for all their actions too.  No one is catered to. 

I suggest that you watch the video of Boot Camp Arrival, can't remember the exact title but it is on this website and very informative.  I also read the info about letters going to them once you get their address.  Do not send more than four pages in one envelope.  Do not send anything using more than one stamp or they will most likely get to open and read it to all.  Its like a red flag to embarrass them.  You can send pictures of home family etc but print them out on copy paper and write around them.  This way the letter won't be too thick.  My son LOVES them.  

I cannot believe his PIR is already in 3 weeks!  It was been so good for him and us!  He misses us, we miss him and the bond is greater than ever.  He is realizing that all the house rules were actually good rules and the NAVY is reinforcing all he has been taught by us.  Great and proud moments as we read the letters from him and hear his voice.  It does get better with each week.

Thank you very much for all of that info. It has been getting easier each day. I have been trying to keep really busy and focus on God and doing things to help my daughter-in-law which is bonding time for she and I. I just had a full knee replacement a little before he left so Praise God I am home to wait for the phone calls and I have written him 2 letters so far. My goal is to write him once a week to keep his spirits up and know that we are here for him, proud of him, and God is with him every step of the way. He is 26 years old and older than most recruits so it was a little intimidating for him, thinking it will be hard for him to compete but he is very athletic and in perfect shape. He went to the gym everyday doing cross-fit for months so I told him he will be just fine.  Our goal now is to get through graduation and move forward from there. I can't wait for my 1st phone call.....still waiting for that. My daughter-in-law got his box a little over a week after he left and the letter came the very next day. I am just counting down the days/hours/mins/secs till I get to see/hug/kiss him again. It is awesome that you kept your son in the word and focused on God that does truly help them....my son was raised and as an adult does the same thing. Praise God! My son is my true Angel!

I can totally understand RBMtz. Praying for you and your family to have strength to hold on. I eeded to tell my son repeatedly that he can do it because he is older than most Recruits and I let him know............

He loved it! Please share with your son. God has got them both! May God Bless You and Your Family! 

Fear not mom, he will be just fine.  I totally understand the bittersweet!  My son is there now and left June 10th.  I was told first communication would be a very quick call when he arrived and then don't expect to hear for at least 3 weeks.  Well much to my surprise I did hear from him just at 2 weeks!  Each RTC will add thier own flavor and some allow more phone time than others.  But phone time will also most likely be dependant upon how well the Division acts as a whole.  If there is trouble in the camp they all suffer with less phone time at least in my son's Div so far.  The longest call thus far was about 10 minutes and as least as 2-3 minutes.  He does have a girlfriend that gets calls too but she seems to have about the same amount of phone time as we do.  Overall it has been tough but good on him and us!  Hang in there mom, after boot is over it will be much better in the communication area for you.  Boot is a cut off from home for sure but it makes them stronger, and reminds them of what they have as a support back home!  Blessings...we are just about 3 weeks from graduation and very excited to see our young man!

Thank you for that. I know he misses me as much as I miss him, but my days are getting easier and I know September will be here before I know it and I will be able to see him and hold him. I am just waiting for my letter and phone calls which I know I will get because he called me as much as he called his wife and spoke to me just as long when he landed in Chicago. Plus, we are from that area originally so he kinda feels close to home with many family and friends just an hour away from him. I have faith that he will be just fine. Congratulations on the upcoming graduation. 

ChellyMay, BridgetTheBrit QC Mom RBMtz. Valerie

Ladies,

Welcome to Navy For Moms. It's wonderful to see members contributing and posting comments. For the brand new members, just getting a reply comment is very meaningful. Please continue to post comment to new forum discussions and blogs. Best of luck to your recruits. Please thank them. Bridget, you have a way with words. Love it.

BunkerQB,

BTW, we do have a Survival Guide.

Thank you!  I think that it is just wonderful that we have a forum like this to chat, discuss and share.  It is a WONDERFULLY different world than it was pre-Internet when my husband be deployed or at military schools!  It is nice to be able to take some time, pop onto this site and check out how everyone else is doing.  It would have made my life so much more pleasant and I am delighted to see that there is support for spouse's and partners too.

I can't wait to keep connecting!!!

hi my name is jesika

and even the my son will not leave until august 28 I been crying every night he is only 18 and also we never been apart .im so proud off his decition.but it hurt as a mom to let him go.also I just was tell my husband that I would like to see him sworn for that last time but I don't know if it will b a good idea.

Join the group, DEP-Leavin for bootcamp in August. You will meet others with loved ones leaving that day/week who may be in the same TG and have PIR together. Be sure to check out the discussion, Things to Do in the Last Month Before Your Future Sailor Leaves for the RTC. I also suggest you join Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) and New Members Stop Here and check out the Pages (found under the pictures of the Members) and Discussions there.

Your future Sailor may want to join http://www.navydep.com to learn the ins and outs from the DEP point of view. Craig runs that and will steer him to some good links on there.

(Group names and the link within this reply are clickable links. To join a group, click on the group name and when the group page opens, click on "+ Join..." in the upper right.)

Yes, go to the swearing in and be his greatest support!  You will be so glad you did.  I went to both the initial one and the actual ship-out departure.  It was an amazing time.  Yes emotional but good!

I too was totally against the armed services idea at first.  But, I can honestly say it was fear!  I am a believer and I took my fear to God.  I had a conversation with him about my son and this Nations leadership and wars etc.  God reminded me that He holds the heart of the King in His hands!  He also reminded me that His perfect love cast out all fear.  So, I had a choice to make.  Either I can allow my fear to keep my son from having this great experience and education OR I can dismiss fear from being a factor at all.  Once I chose that road, the fearless road, everything else was a win win.  I now choose to see my son as getting the experience of a lifetime.  I just thing ok, he is away at a four year college.  After boot camp training is over you will have better contact with him.  More phone calls, more letters or emails etc.  So, fear not my friend.  This will be a great experience and learning opportunity for him and you.

Have a blessed night!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service