This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi--My name is Connie and my son just left for boot camp.  He should be arriving there sometime tonight.  My heart hurts, however, my oldest son joined 6 years ago, so I've been through a lot of these emotions before, and although I'm just as sad to have my second son leave, a lot of the unknowns that I had before aren't as unknown as they were 6 years ago. 

My oldest is an MA and my middle son is going in as an MA as well.  Looking forward to chatting with other moms and crying with you, and maybe I can even offer some insight and support to those of you going through this for the first time.  Although it was 6 years ago I remember every emotion, every tear, every everything. 

Thanks, Connie

Views: 856

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have let ellen and FTLW know to create the 10/18/2013 group. Keep checking and join PIR 10/18/2013 TG 49 (clickable link) once it is up.

I still didn't get mine, but I'm thinking they are in the same division.  His recruiter told me Ship 11, division 390, but there is no such thing, plus, the address they gave me is the address of ship 14 from what I can see.  So who knows?  I'm so disappointed that his PIR date will be 10/18 because his big brother will most likely not be able to go, and that's his hero and the reason he went into the Navy.  So that part is just so disappointing to me.  Plus, 9 weeks at boot camp vs. 8 weeks stinks for them.  But oh, well, that's one thing about the military, as you know...you're no longer in charge

It appears that the recruits may have originally been assigned to Ship 11 since many recruiters were giving that ship for that division and its brother division, Division 389, and then moved to Ship 14 before the end of P-days when the form letters went out. The RTC is undergoing maintenance and it is not unusual for recruits to be moved to a different ship sometimes even after they are in the ship.  (If it turns out that they are in Ship 11 instead of Ship 14, then mail will get to them since the mail room and the RMPO know about the move.)

I'm sorry that your recruit has 10 Fridays, but that happens quite a bit at this time of year due to the high number of recruits who ship who signed up at the beginning of their Senior year of high school.

I received my call last night stating my son was there. I am very nervous for him. I am constantly wondering what he is doing at this very moment hoping he isn't regretting his decision to go in.

I know.  I agree, even though I've been through this before it's still hard.  I wonder if he spent his first day saying "what the heck have I done", will he get sick, will he make any friends, will he be screamed at, etc.  It's hard when you spend 18 years or raising them and protecting them and then all of a sudden not only are you not in control any more, but you don't even know what is going on with him.  It's rough

I see you have joined DEP-Leavin for bootcamp in August; you may want to join, or at least check out, Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) and PIR Reference Information. Once you know your SR’s PIR date and/or division number, watch in Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) and/or at http://www.navyformoms.com/forum/topics/groups-listed-by-pir-date and join the group for that once it has been created. There will be a lot of great information and support for you in those groups. Be sure to check out the Pages (found under the pictures of the Members) and Discussions within the groups. Arrival and What Happens at the RTC within Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) will let you know what is happening, but you will also want to check out the other Pages in all of the groups.

(Group names within this reply are clickable links.)

Hi I'm Sherry.  My son left for boot camp the same day and is also going in as an MA.  Knowing there are others who have this in common actually makes me feel more connected to my son while he is away.  This is my first in the Navy and I'm sure I'm experiencing alot of those emotions you had gone through with your first.  Any advice you can give me would be grately appreciated,  and congratulations to you and your sons for making the decision to serve their country.  I'm sure your as proud of your sons as I am of mine.

Sherry

Hi Sherry:  MA is a great career path.  My oldest loves it.  Wonder if our boys will be on the same ship/division.  Did you get your form letter yet?  I didn't get mine.  This site has been kind of confusing for me to maneuver.  Don't think I'm smart enough to reply to messages, etc.  But yes, sites like this can be a God send.  When my oldest joined I honestly don't think I would have made it through without the bonds I made through my "online support group" as I referred to it.  It will be a roller coaster ride for sure, but it's a fun ride.  For me, tears would come at the darndest times while in public and I felt so stupid.  I had one of those moments the other day and I just figure "oh, well, you can laugh at me if you want".  Once you know his ship/division there are facebook groups you can join and it will be filled with parents from your sons' division, and that gets so exciting.  You can exchange letters with your SR and tell him you met other moms online, look for a kid with a tattoo, blah, blah, blah.  My oldest son just cracked up.  He went up to a guy in his division and said "oh, Lord, I guess my mom is like best friends with your girlfriend now".  But it also meant a lot to him to know I had bonded with others and I have friends all over his Country praying for him and looking out for him.  Hang in there! 

Sherry, I see you have MAA Moms; Master at Arms is a rating very dear to my heart since my Sailor is an MA. Join San Antonio MA's; the discussion, Break down week by week, will let you know what happens at NTTC Lackland (San Antonio). Other groups to check out are New MAA Mom's (it has not been very active, but is picking up lately) and Security Sailors (it is not as active and includes loved ones of Sailors from other ratings as well). The Rating Information Card for MA can be found at https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/rating_info_cards/ma.pdf.

You will be receiving the form letter soon, but you may want to join the group, DEP-Leavin for bootcampin August, to connect with others with loved ones who left today and may have PIR together.

You may want to join, or at least check out, Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) and PIR Reference Information. Once you know your SR’s PIR date and/or division number, watch in Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) and/or at http://www.navyformoms.com/forum/topics/groups-listed-by-pir-date and join the group for that once it has been created. There will be a lot of great information and support for you in those groups. Be sure to check out the Pages (found under the pictures of the Members) and Discussions within the groups. Arrival and What Happens at the RTC within Boot Camp Moms (and loved ones) will let you know what is happening, but you will also want to check out the other Pages in all of the groups.

(Group names within this reply are clickable links.)

Got the letter!  As I suspected, the recruiter was wrong.  My son is Ship 14/Div 390.  I actually went to the post office yesterday because I knew we'd be gone all day, so I went to get my mail and there was the letter.  So I was able to get a letter written and in the mail box before the mail pick up.  I had to tell him that his big brother most likely wouldn't make PIR because of the date.   My thought is this though.  If he can't make his PIR, maybe he could make his A school graduation in San Antonio, and maybe he could even get to pin him.  THAT would be the most awesome thing ever I think.  So we will just have to wait and see.  Unfortunately, as his A school graduation may be around the holidays his brother may not be able to get leave for that.  Levi has worked every holiday since he joined 6 years ago.  So I will just leave it in God's hands and hope things play out perfectly. 

That would be awesome if your Sailor is able to pin on the badge for your second MA, especially since they will share the same rating. Be sure to join San Antonio MA's and check out the discussion, Break down week by week. His graduation from "A" School will be very close to Christmas--1 or 2 weeks before depending on how long he is on hold before classing up.

Yes, I think it would be the greatest "gift" of all if my oldest could pin him.  I'm kind of figuring a Christmas-time A school graduation if he gets a slot right away.  My oldest was in THU for 3 weeks, as were many others, waiting for a slot to open up.  Would be awesome to have his 2 weeks of leave fall around the holidays.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service