This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi everyone, there is a new page that just started up for the new upcoming OCS class. Go to  Navy Class 12-15 Friends and Family.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1553023738313280/

Views: 1586

Replies to This Discussion

Quilter, glad to help.  The video you posted of Chow Hall procedures brought back memories!   This is on graduation early morning when the soon-to-be Ensigns give a physical training demonstration and then a Chow Hall demonstration for the families, and then you can eat breakfast with your loved one for a nominal cost, so it's worth getting up early for!  --But, thank goodness, the families don't have to eat one bite at a time at attention like they demonstrated! 

This is how they have to eat for nine weeks until they become "Candios" at week ten. They are done eating when the DI says they are done, and no seconds!  My son lost twenty pounds during the whole ordeal, and he wasn't overweight to begin with!   They can receive goody boxes from home called "Candio boxes" ONLY AFTER week nine, and most of them gorge themselves sick on all the sweets, because they have not been allowed any desserts or sugar for nine weeks!

I didn't know we could send a Candio box, that's awesome!!!

My son called last night and we were outside and didn't hear the phone :(  so he left a message.  He sounded a lot better and said "Well my 4th week/1st week just started" and he chuckled, so it was good to hear his normal voice and talking about the weeks ahead!!! 

If I have a mom needing advice on my group Navy OCS H-Class (Holding Class) Newport, may I Copy and Paste your words of advice. Your words and ITgal words, really help this weekend... SO ITgal, if your reading this too, may I copy and paste yours as well!!

The two of you really help calm me down, and I hope to do the same should another parent find themselves in the same boat that I was in!!

Thank you both again!! 

Quilter, by all means, use anything you find helpful here to pass along to H-Class or any other OCS class group! I found lots of help here when my son was at OCS, and was able to take it back to our class Facebook page which was mainly composed of newbie parents like I was at the time.  This is a support group, so that's what we're here for!

I'm glad your son sounded better on the phone, even though you missed his call.  The chaplains at OCS deal with discouraged kids all the time and I think they do a great job lifting their spirits and encouraging them to stay.  As ITgal and I wrote, many times the DI's give the H-Class candidates leadership roles in the new class they join, because they have three weeks more experience, and maybe as a little  consolation for rolling.  I'm sure your son will do fine from now on.  Keep us posted!

Yes, they can get treats from home when they become Candidate Officers (Candios) after week nine, but not before, or it will be confiscated as contraband and they will be punished with extra physical training, even if they didn't ask for it to be sent!!!!  One poor soul in my son's OCS class got sent cookies by his dear Auntie at week three, and he had to do 800 pushups!!!!!!  Whew!  

Make sure everyone you give your son's mailing address to knows this.  Letters only, in plain white envelopes.  No musical cards.  No decorated envelopes.  You don't want their mail to stand out in any way to catch the DI's attention.  My son's class could not receive loose enclosures like pictures or cartoons, but it was OK to photocopy those or print them onto letter-sized paper.   Some DI's allow them to receive pre-paid phone cards, but maybe ask if it's OK in a letter to him.

For Candio boxes, most families use the "large" size flat-rate mailing boxes from the Postal Service, (12"x12"x6").  You can get the boxes for free at any Post Office, and they cost less than $16 to mail, no matter how heavy you stuff it.  Tradition is to decorate the inside of the box in a Navy theme.  I went to Hobby Lobby and got nautical-themed paper to line it, and stickers of anchors and ships. I read somewhere if you search Pinterest for "Navy OCS Candio boxes" you will find examples of some very elaborately decorated ones!  

Candios at ten weeks can receive anything  EXCEPT alcohol, tobacco, or anything that looks like a weapon, like realistic squirt guns, etc.   They can receive more than one box, but don't go crazy, because they only have three weeks left of OCS at that point and it will just get thrown out if they can't eat it all.  Since they haven't been allowed any desserts or sweets or between-meal snacks for nine weeks, most of them make themselves sick, passing all their treats around!  My son said it was all good though!  

Oh my goodness, Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! You have been full of information and mostly very supportive!! I will always remember your help!!!

I hope one day I too can be as helpful as you!! Your amazing!

Quilter, I'm glad I can help as a voice of experience.  Just pay it forward.

One more tip I just thought of, which you can share with your 12-15 and H-class groups, (and put it in the "Files" tab if it's not already there.)  Once they pass RLP, they will get email privileges.  You will hear a lot more from him then, because these kids today just don't "do" snail mail.  But they will be using computers on a closed military server, and they will NOT have access to the internet or their usual email program --Outlook, etc.  So, they will not be able to just scroll down their Contacts list and click on "MOM."   They have to type in the complete email address manually.  If you think your son doesn't know your email address from memory, send him a letter now with a list of all the email addresses you think he will want.  Since your son was at week three before, you may have already gotten a "test" email from him from an address like navy.mil or ocs.mil.

You're more than welcome to share my posts.  I know how helpful others were to me when my son started his Navy career.  And I continue to get help and advice from others as he embarks on each new phase.

I'm so glad you got to hear his voice.  I know I can usually tell his frame of mind just by the tone of his voice.  It sounds like your son is back on track and ready to achieve what he went there for!

I had forgotten how helpful the Chaplains were and just Sunday services in general.  It's one time per week that they get to relax a bit and have contact with others.  I'm glad he's getting that support, too.

I don't know if they're still doing it the same way, but on the Facebook group, there should be a tab at the top for "Files".  You'll find lots of really good information there.  Weekly agendas, do's and don'ts of mail, graduation details, glossary, etc.  Take a look and see, I'd be surprised if it's not there!

I posted a direct link to the Facebook page for anyone that hadn't found it yet or for new people who find this discussion.  I think it shows up on the last page, though.  As you started this discussion, you might be able to add it to the original post?  The link is:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1553023738313280/

Thank you so much ITgal!!!

Yes hearing his voice I could tell he was not giving up... he spoke of next week and that he is already President of the H-Class. He is helping all the others in H-Class and showing and practicing RLP with them (those who didn't make it to the RLP point) He was up beat and pushing through.

8 fellows that were his roommate and suite mates come down and see him every night so far and they say every free chance they get they will visit!! So he is busy working with everyone in H-Class and is moving forward, we are so proud of him....Best thing.. the meds are working and his sinus infection is clearing up and he is feeling so much better!! I listen to his message over and over LOL!!! 

Thank you again for your help and for sharing the FB web page!

I will be keeping you posted!! :)

ITgal:  Thanks for mentioning the "Files" tab at the top of the OCS Facebook group pages.  We encouraged each OCS Class group to add pertinent info to the Files tab and pass it along to each new class group as they started. 

Quilter: If the group page for Class 12-15 doesn't have anything in the Files tab, ask to join class 11-15 and/or 10-15.  If they have the Files info, you can copy and paste into your group.

I have joined 11-15 and there were no files on that page, and I just sent a request for 10-15 class..So hopefully 10-15 will have files for me to copy :)

Hmmm.... Each Facebook class group was making a point to pass the Files info along to each new incoming class group for awhile there.  The chain must have gotten broken somewhere.  Oh well, you can always post all the info you're finding here into the Files section of the 12-15 group, and pass it along to 13-15, 14-15, etc. as those groups form, and tell them to pass it on!

I found some and I just uploaded them all to our page! :)

Hi Mrs. C.  I think Quilter can post the link for you for OCS Class 12-15's Facebook group.  I don't know what it is called exactly.   You should also search Facebook for "Officer Training Command Newport," which is the OCS official page and they post pictures and news about the current OCS classes, so you might see your husband.

We here at Navy for Moms are here to support anyone who has a loved one in the Navy, not just mothers of sailors, so you are welcome here too.  But looks like from your profile pic that you are actually a Mom yourself of a cute lil' one! 

The group you are reading now on N4M's is called "Moms of Officers" which not only includes OCS Moms, but Moms of officers who went through the Naval Academy, or were commissioned through ROTC in college.  All of you who have posted here recently about OCS should also search on this site for and join the group "OCS Graduate Moms" which is for moms/spouses/gf's of those currently or formerly at OCS.  We had several moms of OCS candidates join that group last fall, and we answered many questions about OCS then for that group.  Read all the "discussion" topics and the posts in the general forum here and at OCS Graduate Moms, and we may have answered many of your questions already.  Good luck to your husband!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service