This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

PIR August 12th, 2011 Questions needing answers, worried momma and where to stay

My daughter graduates 8/12/2011 and I have read lots of informatiion so far but I would love to get some easy answers from other mom's that have had a son or daughter graduate within the last few months so that the information is current. Here are just a few, if you have a son or daughter graduating on this day, please add a question of your own  :-)  THANKS!

#1)  Should we stay in the Navy Lodge or in a hotel and if so...whats your favorite hotel?

#2)  Should we ride one of the shuttles or drive?

#3)  What time should we arrive on for graduation?

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PIR Reference Information - join this group - entire group devoted to answering questions about PIR. Check the discussions on various topics. Also check this site - the official Recruit Training Command site.

Mine is Ship 12 DIV 251 We are staying on base at the Navy Lodge. I just hope she isnt a grad n go

Hi! Several of us from my son's PIR group stayed at the Residence Inn and took the 6:15 am shuttle. A friend of mine stayed at the quality inn and they said it was fine. If you have a large group going, the 2 BR suite at the Residence is wonderful. Plenty of room for everyone and your sailor to hang out. Mine just wanted to relax.  They also have a yummy free breakfast and will allow your sailor to join you. A few moms that I know stayed at the Ramada (where the meet and greet is located) but they were not very happy.  If I can answer any questions, please let me know. I remember what it was like trying to get everything lined up.
My son also graduates on this day!  YAY!!  We are staying at the Navy Lodge....will probably drive to the graduation, just because my hubby is kinda picky :).....Can't wait!!
We are driving too, but we will take the shuttle... i was told it takes you right to the ID line.

Here is the link to the event. Just click on it and RSVP.

08/11/2011 Meet and Greet for PIR 08/12/2011

Hi there, My son is in Div 252 Ship 12, graduates that day as well! we are staying at the Red carpert inn... they have a shuttle, they seem very imformative. with a free breakfast as well!
my son graduated from boot camp June 27th. Almost done with A- School. When we went to PIR we drove from hotel in Waukegan, instead of taking the shuttle. It was less than a 10 minute drive. We left at 7am, when we arrived at the base 

we were directed where to park. Very simple. I recommend driving. After the ceremony, your recruit will have to go back to his baraccks to get photos or anything else he needs. We then walked around base, went to the NEX store and bought a few items. Jumped in the car and had our son for roughly 8 hours :) He was flying out the next day, so he had to be back by 8pm. His flight was delayed at O'hare, so we went and hung out with him and gave him his cell phone..he was thrilled about that!!

The ceremony is amazing! My sons division was the top division. They made the Hall of Fame, due to receiving every flag during boot camp.

Just got back from the weekend with my sailor.  We had to make last minute hotel reservations and stayed at the Days Inn in Waukegan.  Would not recommend staying here.  It is old, dirty, smells like smoke and the food for the continental breakfast was stale.  We rented a car since my sailor was staying at Great Lakes for A school.  We flew in to Milwaukee Mitchell airport.  The drive to GL is about 50 minutes, no traffic.  I'm glad we didn't fly in to Chicago because of the traffic.

The drive and parking to the graduation was non eventful.  They are very organized at the base.  We arrived around 7:30 and our son's division section of the bleachers was already pretty full.  If your sailor is staying at GL for school, I would recommend going back to your hotel and waiting for him/her to call when they are ready to be picked up.  We wish we had done that because we waited about 4 hours before he was ready.  We went to Gurnee Mills mall a few times (nice mall, lots of places to eat around it in the area), Alder planetarium in Chicage (allow at least 2 hrs each way for driving because of traffic.).  Don't miss the WildBerry in Libertyville.  The breakfast is awesome and worth the wait to get in.

My son will be graduating on 8/12 as well; he is in Div 258. He will be staying at Great Lakes for 4 weeks of A school. Glad I checked the site about the Navy Tour, sounds better than trying to ride all over a city where we don't know where we are! We are staying at the Ramada as well. We are going to take the shuttle to graduation. My son said he wasn't sure how long it would take Friday for him to check in for A school; hopefully not too long. My question is if he can't take anything back on base, and his A school is in GL, how can he get personal stuff for his A school time? Should we wait and mail it back, even though he is only there 4 weeks and then will go to Groton for 4 weeks? Is it necessary to register for the meet and greet at Ramada? It will be me and my other son attending? I appreciate the input from everyone. I will be better informed when my other son leaves Sept 15.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service