This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

I have been reading through the various discussions and was somewhat surprised by the sorrow in many of the mom's postings.  My daughter just finished basic and is now at A-school in San Antonio.  She signed up as a "Master of Arms".  I did not realize until I researched around just how dangerous of a job that could be and that she could get sent over to Afghanistan, or Iraq.  Although that does concern me, I find that I am not only a proud Navy mom, but very excited for my daughter.  She is having a great time, is pleased with her decision to join, and is looking forward to being shipped off someplace.  Her dream location would be Japan - -she's dreamed of not only going to Japan -- but LIViNG there -- since she was very young.  She's always been fascinated with the Japanese culture.  So I find myself not saddened by the "loss" of my daughter to the Navy, but excited for the many potential opportunties that will be offered to her as she begins her journey. And I do realize some of those same opportunities could be very dangerous....

And for now, I still get to talk to her whenever I want and can visit her soon.  Maybe down the road I will not be so excited, but for now, I am really excited for her and proud of her too.

Views: 2820

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I, too, am excited for my son to enter this phase of his life.  I can't say that I feel sorrow, but just wonder about where he will be going, when I will be able to see him once we leave graduation, etc.  This is a great road for him to travel and I am happy for him that he has made this decision.  I am so very proud of him!  He leaves for boot camp in two weeks!!!

OMG, when I read your post it was as if I were writing it.  My daughter is 22 and she will be leaving for BC on April 17th.  She also signed up for "Master at Arms" and will be going to San Antonio also.  She also is fascinated with Japan and its culture and hopes to someday be stationed there or live there. 

While my daughter has wanted to join the navy for 2 years now, I worry sometimes that she has "romanticized" what is in store for her. She is only 5'1" and 110 pounds, and I cannot envision what a little girl (excuse me, woman) can safely do as an MA. 

By now your daugher has been in the service for 3 years.  I would love to hear of your daughter's experiences and how you have dealt with her being away.

I was overjoyed when I found the more recent posts to this !  I too was a little disturbed by the number of moms who seemed almost unable to function when their sons departed for RTC.  We are hopping up and down thrilled for my given son (step son) because this is his dream coming true and we want him to thoroughly enjoy his life, his way.  So, thanks so much for the original post 3 years ago, and for the more recent posts of the perspectives. 

I'm in the "anchors away party" planning stage, I know I will find it difficult to give him that last hug and kiss goodbye, but already have a bottle of fantastic champagne for me and hubby to crack open when the box arrives.  We've worked so hard to help him get to this point for so long that we are just simply thrilled he's almost there.  Thanks ladies for the perspectives.

Great attitude. Would you please stick around and spread some of it around here. We hear/see too many overwrought parents. Need to get some other perspectives. 

Hey JennyMac, I feel the same way about our son. We are thrilled he is making this choice. I would love to hear your ideas for your anchors aweigh party. My son still has a year of HS to complete, but he is going into DEP this summer. So I have plenty of time to plan, but I'm just that way. I've already been pinning away on Pinterest. LOL

My son just finished boot camp in Great Lakes and he was honored with carrying his divisions flag. They won the top award for their graduating class, and now on to this A school. It was hardest realizing that we sent a boy off to Illinois and we visited with a man. He made the best decision for his future and we couldn't be prouder.

My son is also going for Master At Arms and has said he would love to go to Japan. It's hard not to be excited for them. I've had so much positive feedback about the Navy, I can't wait to see where it will take my boy. I have one in the Army as well and it has been a life changing experience for him. Looking forward to what is to come. Sounds like your daughter is doing well, all the best to her. Maybe our kids will meet up in Japan some day.

Note the date of the original discussion. brittsmom2010 has not been on in quite some time. Her Sailor may be back in the civilian world since she would have completed her initial 4 year enlistment earlier this year.

I didn't get really sad either.  I have deliberately raised my kids to know that at some point they will leave home and I will be proud of them for being able to handle life.  I am proud of my son for knowing that he didn't want to pay for college, didn't want to work a minimum wage job, and wanted to do something different than what all his other friends are doing.  I didn't even cry at PIR.  I cried when he got on the plane after he was gone as that is when it really sunk in that he was a man.  But  they were tears of happiness to see that he was given the responsibility of ensuring that the group of men he was with got on the correct plane and on the correct bus when they got to the city the base was located in.  I am very proud of him and the way that he is progressing in his journey.  He is struggling right now waiting on BESS class to start as he doesn't do well with down time, but he is managing to keep himself busy doing "free" things as he says he is not wasting his money on junk!  LOL

Thank you for this stream. It is nice to feel "normal" being extremely proud of my daughter yet not worrying that I'm not there to help her, especially because she really doesn't need my help anymore. In a few short weeks, the Navy has given her the confidence and ability to believe in herself. Today, North Chicago..Tomorrow the world. I am so excited for her and proud.

I too am an extremely proud Navy mom!!  My son just reported to C School in San Diego as a Gunner's Mate.  He is supposed to report to Rota Spain the beginning of November and he is extremely excited and we are too, for him.  One of his main deciding factors to join the Navy was because of the opportunities to travel and see the world.  To me, that is awesome!  That is something have always wanted to do and may be my excuse for actually getting to do that sometime over the next couple of years.  When he was home last week on his way from Great Lakes to San Diego, I asked him if he was still happy with his decision to join the Navy.  He told me yes, he was extremely happy with his decision and does not regret it one bit and he would walk into that recruiter's office and sign that form again.

I look at it this way...this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him to experience all of this and I support him 110% even though he is my first born and we have always been close.  He is happy and that is all I want for any of my kids, so how can I be sad?  With that said, I do struggle some days, but I am getting better with learning that I have to let go a little more every day.  

Congrats to your daughter! My son's ideal location would be Japan as well. He left for BC on May 1st so, today marks his first week and from what I have been learning this week is the most critical part of BC. My son chose CS which made me happy because he has been consistent and is following his dreams. I wish your daughter much success in her chosen job.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service