This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son leaves for bootcamp on Monday.  He was originally scheduled for December 20th.  Before Christmas, but close enough that we could have had an early Christmas and it would have felt like it.  We were only told a couple weeks ago that they would be moving up the date and then only yesterday that it would be Monday.  I keep crying like a little baby.  It seems so silly because it isn't like he'll be gone forever.  My husband and younger son think I'm silly for crying, but I can't seem to help myself.  Are there any other mothers out there struggling with this? 

They say it's empty nest, but I still have my younger son around.  I guess I just worry how my older son will handle bootcamp.   He made this choice all on his own and we support him completely and are extremely proud of him.  He keeps counting down the days and telling me to see my reaction I think.  I have tried not to cry around him even though he knows I will come Monday. 

I would appreciate hearing from any mothers who have been there or are there now.

Views: 11128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe all of our guys know each other.  I'm sure they are all making some good friends.  I'm glad to find out that they need a phone card.  We did not send one so I guess I need to get one and send in the next letter I write.  I got  his address from his recruiter.

Oh sweetie, I know exactly how you feel. And if he's leaving for bootcamp that means he'll largely be incommunicado. Mine graduated bootcamp this past March. It does become easier to accept once they start acclimating to military life because he will grow up so much very very rapidly. Watching him turn into a man that quickly actually helps you adjust quicker too because you begin to accept the new him as he reinvents himself. The transformation is quite amazing!

You'll be okay Toots! Keep your chin up for him and hold each and every minute that you have with him close to you.

Thank you.  I know this is the best option for him with the job market the way it is and he will be learning a skill that can help him if he decides the Navy isn't for him.  We all think he will probably like it and make a career out of it, but who knows.  I just worry about him, but he seemed to have a positive attitude when he left, and I think he'll do well.  The holidays without him don't help make it easier on me, but I know we'll all get through. 

There have been 8 kids killed in car accidents in our state in the last week or so, the 3 killed yesterday were siblings.  I am sad that my son is away, but got a reality check when I thought this morning that those kids aren't ever coming home to their families.  I am blessed.

My son left today as well..It was beautiful ceremony and I tried my hardest to hold it together..I did ok until it was time to say so long....he was absolutely exhaused and looked like he hadnt slept a wink at all last night...unfortunately when he was packing his bag to go he forgot his contact lens case and had to leave his contacts in all night..he said he can not sleep when they are in...they bother his eyes and keep him up...anyhow I am soo relieved that his day has come as he  had been in the DEP program since March...I have uncontrollable bouts of crying and I am totally wiped out..mentally, emotionally & physically.... he made us decorate our home for the holidays before he went...his stocking that I made for him as a little boy that is hanging next to his brothers is killing me but I will not take it down...I am so happy for him that he has chosen this path yet sad as our family as we knew it will never be that way again...with a heavy heart I locked the door and shut off the porch light knowing that he will no longer be coming home...Just sitting here waiting for my "I made it" phone call...hopefully tomorrow is a better day

I know it will get easier.  I cry with every reply to my discussion so I only read a couple at a time.  I came back to work yesterday.  My son left Monday.  I walked into a huge pile for work and with my emotions being raw, I was totally overwhelmed.  The last thing I want to do is concentrate on getting this done, plus I keep stopping to read the replies from other Navy Moms. 

We decorated early too.  Not that Sean asked, but I wanted it up for him to see before he left.  I didn't want him to think he missed out on everything.  We gave him his Christmas gifts early so he could enjoy before having to leave.  He said he could call in 3 weeks and I hope that it will be close to Christmas.  I just want to hear his voice to make sure he is doing okay. 

Oh, that hit home. My son left wednesday for boot camp. I just cant find it in me to decorate for Christmas at all. I got the call from at 1:48 am this morning. It was short and sweet, but it was so good to hear him. He sounded tired but he did sound good. Can't wait to hear from him again. He said the next call would be in about two weeks.

Juliefrog68
my son was able to call around 8 tonite to let me know he made it to the training center ! was so relieved to get his call!:) He sounds good..and altho it was a quick call was great and comforting to hear his voice! the sad part is he won't be able to write for two Weeks or call for three Weeks! that would be after Christmas..so I hope he will be able to at least call me or his Dad for a few.mins;-) We decorated early and had a mini celebration before he left..put up the tree..got his stocking out and I even found a military ornament for him to put on the tree! I hope everyone can hang in there..I am going to stay busy and make the best of the holidays! Treasure every moment u get..
Just wanted to send out a hug to all of you moms! Today marked a week since my son left, it was an emotional day especially since I received the box today. It's comforting to know things are going as planned, but I miss my boy like crazy. Hope you all are hinging in there :)

Here's a hug right back. Let's just all keep praying and supporting each other. God Bless you and I I pray for peace for all of us!

Today is December 7th at 7 am and the recruiter is picking up my son at 11am.  He has to stay at Ft. Hamilton in Brooklyn and flies tomorrow to Great Lakes, IL.  He was in the DEP program and we knew he'd be leaving in December and it seemed so far way in the summer as we kept going to Morristown, NJ for the meetings etc.  Now it's here and the Christmas decorations are up and my first born is leaving.  I am trying my best to be upbeat because I know this is what he wants and he will come back a man instead of my little boy.  But boy I am scared.  I had a rather sleeples night as did my son because I still could hear him talking to friends at 3am.  I keep trying to focus on seeing us all together in IL for his graduation.  I have still a 16 year old  daugter at home.  We recently got a pit bull  puppy because she said she would be afraid to be home alone once Billy was gone LOL. It was so good to read what you all went through, but I guess the toughest part will be until we can actually get an address to mail letters and for that precious first letter home.  I know I too will be addicted to this site for the duration.  Thanks for being here!!

Ona Silvia

My son also left from Brooklyn on Monday the 5th we are also from New Jersey this has been a very rough go the last couple of days. I am anxiously awaiting his box. I did get a call from him on Monday night at about 11 letting me know that he was in Great Lakes. Where about in NJ are you from?

My bf left on Monday the 5th as well, and got the call about 11:30.  Let me know when you get your box!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service