This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi everyone,

My son leaves today Sunday, April 3 at 2 PM. I'm so upset and can't stop crying. I don't want him to go and I wish I could stop him. He is only 18 and still so very young in many ways.  I want to know how did you all deal with this because I feel so alone and sad. I look forward to the support I can get here and I hope to become an active member in this site. Thank you and God Bless you all especially our loved one's serving.

Lisa

Views: 447

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lois,

My son is leaving for Meps tomorrow and will go to Great Lakes on Tuesday.  I know how you feel and I dread dropping him off at the recruiters tomorrow morning.  He's been home since the end of December and didn't go back to college this semester.  It's been great having him at home and went by so fast.  I know he's tired of having his life on hold.   Joining the Navy will give him some direction in his life.  Only one of his friends has a job and is going to college.  The rest of them have no direction and can't find jobs because unemployment is very high in our area.  I know I will have many questions as time goes by and it's going to be a long 8 weeks until graduation.

I'm so glad to meet you all, and I don't feel so alone.  I spend 1 and half hours crying after my son left and then I had two large glasses of wine, and now I have a splitting headache. I guess the next few days are going to be very difficult. I joined the group the support group Jessica suggested. I wish you all a very goodnight and I thank you for all the support. 

Lisa

I still cry 2 weeks later & had s splitting headache for a week. After hearing his voice I felt better for a few days but today has been hard. If I could just hear from him every couple of days.

My son left almost a month ago and this site helped me keep my sanity! 

It will be very hard--as many of the responders have attested to.  And after a while you'd think you're going to be fine then the tears start coming down again.  But it does get easier with time.  We're all in this together.  Hang in there!

LIsa,

Hang in there, we are all here for each other... My son leaves in 10 days and I am already getting teary eyed.  But we can make it through.... I know we will.....

Kathy

Hi Lisa.  My son left 2/8.  I cried a lot too.  He's graduating 4/8 so we are so excited to be heading there next weekend.  This site has been immensely helpful.  You will get so much info which will help with all the unknowns.  I think that's the hardest thing for us moms.  Ill send you a friend request.  Feel free to say hi whenever. 

My son leaves tomorrow-I am so sad and well the time has come for him to go .  Where did the time go.

How are you today after yesterday

patty

My son left today for Milwaukee and will go to Chicago tomorrow.  I've been cleaning his room and it's been really hard.  He lived with me for 20 years and now he's gone.  I can't wait until graduation and then I can see him again before he goes to South Carolina. 

Hi everyone,

Today I'm doing much better, I woke up and looked at my sons empty bed and felt an ache but I know this what he wants and now is the count down for graduation begins. I can't wait to see him. The graduation should be the first or second week of June, calculating 8 to 9 weeks. I'm already planning. Well this is day 1 in Illinois about 62 more days to go.Cack is it true the recruits hardly have time to write letters. Jo, Patty, Kathy, and everybody else saying goodbye to their children, I know what you are feeling and I wish you strength and love to get you through the goodbye's. Start your countdown soon we will see our kids. I haven't heard from him yet and its 7: 30 eastern time, i'll be waiting to hear from him. I started my diet and workout today with my other son to get into shape so when my son sees me and his brother he will be proud of us and we will be so proud of him.

Have a goodnight and lets keep communicating until the big day.

Lisa

Lisa  thank you for the encouraging words-I have only a few hours until he is gone. 

Ladies I am a Navy mom and I have been where you are. My son left in August for BC and graduated in Oct. He is now waiting for his deployment, he is suppose to go to Japan for 3 years but that is on hold due to the recent tragedy. I was like all of you and went into depression when he was in BC because we are very close. I got through it by writing to him everyday and he had told me it was like Christmas on Sundays when he got his letters from home.

Ladies it is extremely important that you write to your recruit everyday, write about anything, the weather, etc. If they have a FB copy their page with all the comments and send them to them. They just want to hear from you because they have no connection to the outside world. DO NOT send them anything but letters because they get slack for it. NO SNACKS PLEASE the RDC's will eat them in front of them while the DIV has to do PT.

Make sure you are there when they call, they need to hear your voice. This site is a huge help as well. When you get the PIR (Pass In Review) Graduation date you will want to join that group and you will all get through it together. I am still in contact with some of the moms that I have met on the site and as well as in person. Don't pull away and get depressed, stick together because you will get through this.

Please do not hesitate to ask me anything if you need your questions answered. Also on FB their is a page called US Navy Recruit Training Command, look it up and like the page, they will also answer your questions as well as share pictures of the recruits in BC and you may get lucky and see your recruit.

Christina

Hi Christina,

Thank you so much for all the information. I'm going to start a facebook page for my son and have the family visit it to post messages, for me to send him. What a wonderful idea.  Christina let me ask you, is it true that the recruits can only write sometimes on Sunday?  You must be so happy your son is home, enjoy.

Bye,

Lisa

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service