Three of us will be flying in to Milwaukee on Wed. 2/6/19 and plan on using Sarge's Navy Taxi to get to the hotel and then back to Midway on Sat. 2/9/19 for our flight home. I understand that this service also includes a Free ride to the ceremony on Fri. 2/8/19, BUT not back to the hotel.
I'm not trying to "overthink" this, but other places we will need rides:
(1) to pick up our ceremony tickets - Do we all need to go?
(2) to the Meet & Greet on Thu. 2/7/19;
(3) for 4 of us back to the hotel after the graduation;
(4) for 4 of us out to eat a meal;
(5) return son to Great Lakes Fri. evening - should we all go?; and
(6) IF our son is heading to A-School from a different airport than ours, we will need transportation from O'Hare to Midway on Sat. 2/9/19 for our 5 p.m. flight home. (How far apart are these 2 airports? Are they connected by a train?) What can we do with our luggage or will we have to haul it with us everywhere on Sat.?
Since we are on a budget, I'm looking for advice on ways to save money on transportation. Since we won't be renting a car, I'm trying to plan for all our transportation needs in advance.
Our hotel will be the Hampton Inn on Lakehurst Dr., in Waukegan, IL, which I was told was close to the Meet & Greet and lots of restaurants. Their website shows a complementary shuttle service within a 5 mile radius from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. M-F. and that they are located 2 miles from Great Lakes. But we will not be the only navy families at this hotel. ANY ADVICE? ~ Thanks!
Hi, I just happened upon your post and will share what I know from my limited experience! My son graduated bootcamp in the fall, and we drove to Chicago. I also visited him there before he left for A school, flew in and rented a car at the airport. My takeaways:
1) EVERYONE going to the PIR ceremony needs to be there to pick up their tickets, and it is best to go the day before if possible. Make SURE you all have your ID's with, they WILL check them!
2) Our son had to sign out with a "liberty buddy" (Me, his mom) after graduation, and I had to be the one to sign him back in at the end of the day when he returned to base. Everyone in the car will need ID's to pass through the gate, and definitely get him back at least 30 minutes before the stated time, the lines can get long to check back in. Also - find out from his division if there is a muster (headcount) prior to the time liberty expires. The sign in the visitor center said to be back at one time, our son was told an earlier time by his officer.
3) Renting the car at the airport went really smoothly, but if you don't want to drive in a strange city or are concerned about snow, maybe putting the Uber app on your phone would be an option. With only 4 of you, you should be able to find plentiful vehicles.
4) I did a quick google search, looks like the airports are about 31 miles apart, and users said it can be up to 1:45 taking public transportation between them.
I hope this helps, I remember it was kind of stressful planning for the logistics of the weekend, but it is so worth it when those boys come in in their dress blues!
yes you all need to go since you need to present valid id/dl to pick up tickets. we rented a car and moved via rental it was much simpler that way. plus he will most likely get transported to the airport for c school or is it called a school that very night (like midnight/very early morning) so you can drive to the airport and spend time with your sailor at the airport ( family passes are given )
Hi. May you share your experience with me too please? Since u been there and I’m going to 12/20. We also have a 1yo baby and i never ever drive in snow before Bc we from TX. More likely only me and my baby are going, everyone else couldn’t afford to go with us. Planning the transportation is stressful. Thank you in advance
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and advices. I think i will rent a car. That much easier for me to planning things out. Thank you and have a great day!
All Hotels will shuttle to the PIR there is a 3-4 dollar charge to and from, you must sign up when you get to hotel and put a time. See Saving Money PIR Weekend and PIR Day and Liberty during PIR Weekend.
FROM THE RECRUIT FAMILY WELCOME CENTER:
If you are attending a graduation ceremony, you MUST personally obtain your ticket, you cannot pick up tickets for others. Tickets will be distributed at the Recruit Family Welcome Center, located inside the Navy Exchange Burkey Mall, Bldg. 3452, 2650 Green Bay Road Great Lakes, IL 60088
Travel to your Sailors graduation with airport transportation shuttle service from mynavytaxi.com® in Great Lakes, Illinois. We offer local transportation service in addition to all Chicago and Milwaukee airports. Our minivans are built for your comfort and safety. All drivers are licensed, bonded, insured. and Vetted by the Great Lakes Naval Station and are authorized to pick up at all Great Lakes Naval facilities to include, the housing areas, and the Navy Lodge. Our drivers are also authorized by the United States Navy to travel inside the main base with our special access cards during the hours regulated by base officials. We also provide local service to and from all suburbs and malls. Our team has a strong command of the English language. See what our customers say - visit our testimonials page - click here -
NOTE: No taxi cabs, Limos, or shuttles are authorized to access RTC (boot camp) on any day. All commercial vehicles must drop off outside gate 8 (Graduation Gate). The walk to the graduation hall is less than 100 yards.
Commute to and from the airport and locally without breaking the bank. Our flat rates to and from the airports to most Lake County suburbs for the Navy Boot Camp Graduation. Does not include hotels or AIRBNB's that are over 7 miles from base.
Navy Lodge - Great Lakes, Gateway Inn and Suites - Great Lakes Naval Station, All Waukegan Hotels, All North Chicago Hotels, All Gurnee Hotels, All Lake Bluff Hotels, All Lake Forest Hotels, Mettawa Hotels, All Libertyville hotels less than 7 miles.
The rates below are for one van - maximum passengers (6). These rates are for the van NOT PER PERSON.
Round trip from O'Hare $99.00 - One Way $57.00
Round Trip from either Midway or Milwaukee $159.00 - One Way $90.00
You will know who your driver is before you land. Your e-mail confirmation will contain driver information in advance, so you can communicate with the driver before you depart from your home airport.
No matter what airport you arrive to, you must be picked up in the baggage claim area regardless if you have checked bags or not. Our drivers are available by cell phone to include text messaging to assist you should you get lost.
We can only pick you up at the center island opposite the baggage claim area in the Lower Level. There is a blue sign on the pole that reads "Prearranged Suburban Taxi Cabs."
Each door has a number above it as you face the street from the baggage claim area. They are alphabetical from left to right as you face them. Use the following doors to exit and proceed to the center island at O'Hare.
|• Terminal 1: Door 1G-LL||• Terminal 2: Door 2E-LL||• Terminal 3: Door 3G-LL|
Wait for your driver in the Center Island at the baggage claim. You can reach this area by exiting from door number 2 and look for the white sign that reads "Prearranged Suburban Taxi Cabs."
Exit the airport from the baggage claim number 4 door and cross the street AND enter the parking garage. Enter the door for "Rental Cars." Once you are in the rental car area, proceed straight ahead and enter the garage.
Your driver will be there waiting for you.
SARGE'S MEET & GREET
Plan to arrive the day before PIR so you won't risk missing PIR and go to Sarge's Meet and Greet from 5 pm to 10 pm the evening before PIR at the Lakehurst Event Center (go to http://www.mynavytaxi.com/events.html to RSVP). Sarge has a taxi service and he is a wealth of information. His cell number is 847-212-0246. His Meet and Greet and services have been getting great reviews. Find Sarge on N4M as OldSarge.
Thank you for providing the link. My concern is, if i take Sarge’s service or shuttle at hotel. How can i pick up the ticket on Thursday before PIR day? (Does hotel have shuttle that Thurs for ticket picking up? Or i have to use Sarge’s taxi again?)
I have search but haven’t find anyone share their experience about that. Thank you
Call sarge and ask him I'm sure they will take you. call his Cell number he is a very nice Man.