Three of us will be flying in to Milwaukee on Wed. 2/6/19 and plan on using Sarge's Navy Taxi to get to the hotel and then back to Midway on Sat. 2/9/19 for our flight home. I understand that this service also includes a Free ride to the ceremony on Fri. 2/8/19, BUT not back to the hotel.
I'm not trying to "overthink" this, but other places we will need rides:
(1) to pick up our ceremony tickets - Do we all need to go?
(2) to the Meet & Greet on Thu. 2/7/19;
(3) for 4 of us back to the hotel after the graduation;
(4) for 4 of us out to eat a meal;
(5) return son to Great Lakes Fri. evening - should we all go?; and
(6) IF our son is heading to A-School from a different airport than ours, we will need transportation from O'Hare to Midway on Sat. 2/9/19 for our 5 p.m. flight home. (How far apart are these 2 airports? Are they connected by a train?) What can we do with our luggage or will we have to haul it with us everywhere on Sat.?
Since we are on a budget, I'm looking for advice on ways to save money on transportation. Since we won't be renting a car, I'm trying to plan for all our transportation needs in advance.
Our hotel will be the Hampton Inn on Lakehurst Dr., in Waukegan, IL, which I was told was close to the Meet & Greet and lots of restaurants. Their website shows a complementary shuttle service within a 5 mile radius from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. M-F. and that they are located 2 miles from Great Lakes. But we will not be the only navy families at this hotel. ANY ADVICE? ~ Thanks!
Hi, I just happened upon your post and will share what I know from my limited experience! My son graduated bootcamp in the fall, and we drove to Chicago. I also visited him there before he left for A school, flew in and rented a car at the airport. My takeaways:
1) EVERYONE going to the PIR ceremony needs to be there to pick up their tickets, and it is best to go the day before if possible. Make SURE you all have your ID's with, they WILL check them!
2) Our son had to sign out with a "liberty buddy" (Me, his mom) after graduation, and I had to be the one to sign him back in at the end of the day when he returned to base. Everyone in the car will need ID's to pass through the gate, and definitely get him back at least 30 minutes before the stated time, the lines can get long to check back in. Also - find out from his division if there is a muster (headcount) prior to the time liberty expires. The sign in the visitor center said to be back at one time, our son was told an earlier time by his officer.
3) Renting the car at the airport went really smoothly, but if you don't want to drive in a strange city or are concerned about snow, maybe putting the Uber app on your phone would be an option. With only 4 of you, you should be able to find plentiful vehicles.
4) I did a quick google search, looks like the airports are about 31 miles apart, and users said it can be up to 1:45 taking public transportation between them.
I hope this helps, I remember it was kind of stressful planning for the logistics of the weekend, but it is so worth it when those boys come in in their dress blues!
yes you all need to go since you need to present valid id/dl to pick up tickets. we rented a car and moved via rental it was much simpler that way. plus he will most likely get transported to the airport for c school or is it called a school that very night (like midnight/very early morning) so you can drive to the airport and spend time with your sailor at the airport ( family passes are given )