This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

16hrs since I received that scripted phone call from my son. Unaware of the "scripted" part and or length of phone call (48 sec). I could hear stress in his voice. Also unaware of being able to have accompanied him to his recruiter meetings for preparation on what to expect after final swear in. Maybe he thought I wouldn't have been as supportive had I attended. Definitely unprepared for this journey. Never been away from my three children. My heart feels heavy. Experiencing detachment with my children becoming adults and leaving NEST that's been built with a strong foundation with walls insulated with ADT security. Now not even being able to communicate with my middle child and only son. I feel as if I'm grieving or had a loss. Emotions from PROUD, SAD, UNCERTAIN, EXCITED for his journey, and LONGING to hear him say "I'm going fishing". Never thought it would be so hard to fold his clothes, walk past his door, pick up his shoes, or not hear his car crank. Wondering if there are other navy moms who have experienced these feelings? Today only cried once and here I am writing without tissues thanks to the support from another navy mom (whose ex navy chief).  

Views: 21102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that is sooo hard, I bet.

My son left on the 18th and I have received two phone calls one just this sunday.  I was shocked that he has called every weekend anyone have any idea why?

mum Z, I understand completely how you are feeling! But here is the good news, I got my son's "I am a sailor" call on Thursday. I never thought I"d make it through those "black out" , no contact days-but I did, and you will too. There were days when I couldn't look at his picture without crying. This journey that the two of you (and your entire family) are on-builds our character along with theirs. I am packing today to attend PIR this Friday. I look forward to you posting in a few short weeks, that you too are celebrating once again with your son!

I am so happy for you and your son! Enjoy PIR and thanks for all the encouragement!

I honestly didn't know when our son joined that we'd be getting that call...and I got it at 1:48 in the morning...he was not stressed, but excited.  Your son has probably been up for well over 24 hours and is tired, so maybe sounded stressed...Our son left for bootcamp with NOTHING.  Literally.  He bought a throw away tooth brush at meps station.   Bootcamp was the hardest for ME...not for my son.  He said it was no where near as hard as they make it out to be.  I would be doing fine, cleaning the house...and I'd have to do stuff like throw away the box of his favorite cereal that his brothers didn't eat...and I would spend hours crying.  It was an up and down journey for sure.  We did not get the "box" with his stuff, because he wore stuff that he was planning on throwing out.  I wrote him daily, and mailed weekly.  Our son did not have the time to write as much as some other people's sailors.  He explained it in one of his later letters, which helped.  Know the Navy is taking care of him.  He is not in it alone.  I will be praying for you!  Know it's normal for your civilian friends to not understand, so know that we are here for you!  (hugs)

I know my son is physically strong but mentally, I am not quite sure. I guess I have been hearing so many horror stories about BC that I am thinking of the worst scenarios. I am probably having a harder time than him! Thank- you for making me feel better with your post. Thankyou for sharing some of his letter, I feel so much better.

Oh my goodness, i am not there yet but will be in two months.  Thankyou for sharing this.  I am wishing you a hug right now.  My heart is filled with pride and yet heavy all at the same time???? The tears have already started flowing.  Thinking of you today. Jamie

My son left last Wed, Sept 11 and that night as we waited for "the call", I can only describe our house as if some of the oxygen has been sucked out.  It's been almost a week and I'm a wreck on the inside.  I too have heard some horror stories and am so worried as my son is strong physically and mentally, he is a bit of a softie on the inside.  Having three younger sisters will make you a little more sensitive.  I hope he is doing well....cleaning his room has a been a bit therapeutic I will admit.  How do you make it until the next call....it's weeks away...and still no box or letter.

CFnavymom, my son left on the 12th so our sons might be together! I understand how you are feeling. My son seemed so strong on the outside, but I know deep down he is a mommas boy. I didn't even receive a phone call from him when he arrived so I have been a mess. Hopefully our sons are supporting each other.

It is tough everyday.  My son left on 8/27.  I did receive the box about a week later and the first call came this past Saturday.  I felt pretty good after the 45 minute call but then I received his first letter last night and broke down.  He sounded like he was homesick and it was dated 9/8, before the call.  He apologized for not listening to me more and said he regretted taking family for granted.  He was comforted when he had dreams about sitting around the dinner table with the family of just hanging out.  Talk about heart wrenching.  I am still not over it yet and hate for his heart to be hurting.  He will grow through it and so will we but not easily.  Stay strong Navy Moms.  Its rough for all of us. 

wow tough to read but you are strong too! I too had to say goodbye from Phoenix Az on 8-27-13...It was so hard. We got the Kid in the box about the following week. Then the form letter about three days later. The phone call came on sat and I was at work talk about crying hysterically on the drive home!  I have been writing him every other day and trying to get in the mail immediately. I was told his girlfriend got a hand written letter and we haven't yet. She thinks he can call this weekend again...not quite sure tho! I just cant wait to hear his voice and see if he is doing good! I can't wait to go to Great lakes for PIR! Trying to stay strong as well!!!

Our son's may be there together.  Mine left  from Utah on the 11th as well.  We did receive the call, and I believe that his box will be delivered tomorrow, so we are hoping for another call soon.  We are happy for him and hoping that he is doing well.  I know the first week can be rough on them so we are hoping that he makes it through. We've been busing ourselves with other things and both his dad and I are a little lost, but we both know inside that he will come out of this journey a stronger person.  Keep your chin up - I'm sure he's missing you as well!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service