This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
My son will be entering BC very soon. I was wondering does the Navy automatically extract wisdom teeth even if they are not bothering the recruit?

Views: 5862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If any of that happens beforehand, then it can disqualify a potential sailor.  They'd need waivers, if they are not permanently disqualified.  They could miss out on their chosen rating.  The risk is small either way, but I'd put my money with the Navy dentists on a bet. Complications just mean a stint in RCU.  Not the end of the world.

I was perfectly happy with the dental work I got in the Navy.  My wisdom teeth had been done when I was in college, they were growing in sideways. But what I did have done was done well, and they gave my husband braces on shore duty.  No complaints from me, which explains why I trust the boot camp scenario.

My son left on the 28th and he still has his wisdom teeth - our dentist told us not to take them out because the Navy will do it on their dime.

Yep free is good and they get a few days of rest too !

My daughter is in bc now and in about the 4th week they all started getting appointments. It's mandatory to get an exam and cleaning. She doesn't have wisdom teeth, so none removed, but she said quite a few got them removed and many told her they weren't hurting. I'm wondering if they automatically remove for those that look like they will crowd teeth and cause pain later down the road. She did say the dentists and hygienists seemed skilled.

It's not "a few days of rest"....it's a few days of Boot Camp and preparation and assimilation with their division. They are anxious enough without being away from their initial training for a couple days.

And anti.....huge difference between getting your teeth pulled quickly while going through induction and getting braces while on shore duty. You know that. 

Let me state again, IF you plan to do it on your own, get it done as soon as possible so as not to hold up your ship date. However, with most ship dates a year out, there is plenty of time to get it approved. 

Sorry, but as long as there are people posting that it's no big deal at Boot Camp, I will continue with my suggestion of having options. 

I prefer removing obstacles before it happens. 

I heard that they pulled them and asked my sons recruiter and he verified that yes they do. Since my son has been in DEP since last July and leaves for basic this coming July, we had them pulled last November. I was going to wait and do it like now, over spring break, but the recruiter said it had to be done 6 mos or more before BC. So we did it and I am so glad, he will be too come summer I am certain.

My son's were fine too, so I thought!  He had 3 wisdom teeth taken out within the first two weeks of BC.. He called the day after and sounded pretty swollen, but did have a rest day.. so that was good!  :)

My son is in boot camp right now and they pulled his bottom wisdom teeth. They left the top. He is in a push division and they didn't give him any time off and gave him ibuprofen for the pain. 3weeks later he wrote me and told me he ran out of ibuprofen (which doesn't do much for him anyway)and is still having some pain.

Thtsmaboy, double check with him about "they didn't give him any time off" because that does not jive with what recruits (and Sailors) have been telling us for years. They report two days SIQ to recover. I also question that he was only given ibuprofen at first, but that is possible if he refused anything harder or if there was no reason to believe that he would need anything stronger. If he is still having pain, then he needs to go to medical or ask to see dental again since he should not be having pain this long afterwards.

I think so because my son is in week 4 of boot camp and just informed me by mail that he was told he'd have to have his wisdom teeth pulled. They never bothered him, and I don't even think they've come in yet.

The Navy only does dental work that is needed. The dentists at the RTC consider if there may be a problem in the future and remove one, two, three, or all four of the wisdom teeth if needed. If there is a question, they may indicate that the teeth are to be checked at "A" School and removed then if needed. They also may put off removal of wisdom teeth until later if there is dental work that needs to be taken care of first. Some may not need any wisdom teeth removed; my son still had his wisdom teeth when he was retired after 6 2/3 years of service. If it is determined that the recruit does need to have one or more wisdom teeth removed, this is scheduled at a time that will be the least disruptive to training and often several in the division have it done on the same day so they are recovering together. The recruits have 2 days SIQ and have someone who checks to see that the recruits are taking their pain meds and drinking plenty of water as directed. They then have at least one day of LLD and must be checked before returning to full training. This is similar to the recovery time given in the civilian world. They are well taken care of and there have been recruits who were happy to have the time to rest and others who didn't have to have the teeth removed who wished that they had once they saw how their shipmates were treated while they had to clean the head or do other jobs in the compartment and continue with PT. Having any or all of the wisdom teeth removed does not normally change the recruit's PIR date.

If your recruit requires additional dental work, he will get that on board the USS Osborne. (See http://www.lovell.fhcc.va.gov/locations/USSOsborne.asp.)

Don't buy into it! Pull the teeth before you get there. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service