This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
My son left a week ago.  We just got his address today.  Already have a letter with pictures to mail to him, but it sounds like we will not hear from him for at least another week.  Not knowing how he is doing is the tough part.  

Views: 210

Replies to This Discussion

Just reading each comment, I think we all feel the same way. I too, mailed 3 letters yesterday and 3 the day before. I write every night to him. His father is being all macho but I am just mush. I miss him so much. I dreaded the day that he was going to leave but it never dawned on me that it would be so hard. I need to hear from him so bad. He went away to college and it didn't hurt near this bad. He was only 90 miles away and we could hear from him.I wish all of you good luck and God Speed. He left on the 9th, so maybe I will hear something soon and I hope each of you do too.
Yes, that was the tough part for all of us who have now seen our sailors graduate recently. The first few weeks seem to be the hardest. Staying on this site will really help you as you will have others share feelings and advice with you. Be prepared to go longer than a week without hearing from him. Each division is different on how often they get to call home. I actually went almost 3 weeks without hearing from mine at one point. But know that he is in good hands, being taken care of, physically, medically, and learning how to be a sailor. Not an easy process for him...or any of the others...for sure. But the bonding with the other recruits in his division will be so helpful. They are all in the same "boat" (no pun intended! lol). The next thing you will face is receiving "the box" with all of his belongings in it that he left with. Be ready for that...it is very emotional, but part of the process. And keep your cell phone handy as often as you can since their phone calls can be rather random. Mine were always on the weekend though (except for a couple of holiday calls during the Christmas season). By the way, he'll love the pictures. I sent mine some of our dogs, and he got a kick out of them, sharing them with his shipmates. They have very limited space to keep things sent (like pictures), so keep that in mind. Maybe pictures printed on one page of paper would allow him to keep future pictures since one sheet of paper may fit better into his space. Good luck!
There is nothing wrong with a guy crying. Remember "Jesus Wept"
My daughter left 2/2 and other than the phone call and brief lines at the bottom of the form letter, we've heard nothing yet. She told me she'd write (last) Sunday, so I'm hoping for a letter maybe today or tomorrow. I agree, not hearing anything is the tough part...but it's only 43 days til PIR so I'm dying to see her then. I mail a letter or card every day so when they finally start giving them mail, she'll have plenty.
I do know they hold the mail for a week or 2, my son received 5 letters the first mail call 2 1/2 weeks in, and the phone calls don't start till after week 3 usually, it's 4 weeks today, and no phone call yet. They do this separation on purpose because of the homesickness. It's just like summer camp, keep a stiff upper lip, and don't mention how hard this is on you or how much you absolutely miss them. That makes it harder. Just talk about things that are going on at home, things that can make them feel connected but they realize that life does continue without them. Then they can concentrate on what they are doing without the guilt of how everyone back home is doing. Pictures and jokes are always welcome, just remember their space is very small. A few pictures are great, but not packs of pictures, if you do that, send a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope every now and then, so they can send the excess letters and such back to you. And remember that you will definitely be writing to him, more than he has the time to write to you.
Hi All,

It's official Ship 03 Division 146 with a PIR of April 9, 2010. We received our box on Tuesday and the form letter today. I feel comforted just seeing his handwriting and knowing his humor remains. He wrote there's little sleep but he's doing good.Phew, I've sent 4 children off to college and never had this many emotions. I guess its because I can't hear his voice through cell phone calls. I'm looking forward to a phone call, not knowing when its going to be there's someone home all the time on alert. I'm so grateful for this site and all the information it provides to reassure parents. This along with the ability to connect with families that also have recruits training on the same ship and division. We did receive totally wrong information from the recruiter regarding our son's address, my own fault for not wanting to wait and mail the 10 letters and cards so he has something to look forward to at mail call. The only correct information on the envelope is the ship #, I did include the last 4 of his social after his last name too. The recruiter said it will be delayed.......but he'll get it eventually. Looking to hear from other recruit families training on ship 3 div 146.

TJS Mom
I know how you're all feeling. I got the form letter on Friday (19th). I was so relieved just to see his handwriting! I am carrying his envelope around with me, just for a sense of closeness. 13 days down Mom's! 46 days to go....66,240 minutes hahaha.
Hi Rodeomom

Have you heard from your son yet. I know its hard having to wait...technology hasn't taught us patience that's for sure. Well we're down to 22 days and counting looking forward to 4-9. The meet and greet is scheduled click view all on the right side of the tool bar, looking forward to meeting everyone with a loved one on ship 03 div 146 along with all the other divisions. TJs mom
Join your PIR group just point and click http://www.navyformoms.com/group/pir492010
My son, David W., is in Div 146 Ship 03. Received the call yesterday. HE IS A SAILOR!!!!
Congratulations!  Is he just starting or just finishing?
My daughter is in Div 146 sip 3 and her graduation date is 4/22/11.  I also got only the brief call that she was there and a call for information.  It is extrememly hard hearing the stress in her voice.  I worry about her but try to be encouraging in my letters.  I hope this gets easier.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service