This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi All, I am a new member of Navy moms so this is quite new and I don't know where to begin. My son has recently left July 5th 2017 to BC in great lakes. I did receive a call from him a very short one to let me know he is ok. Is it natural for me to feel this emotional. Me and My son were very close as most mothers I assume. But I can't stop feeling the urge to cry. I believe he is in good hands, and this is something he had wanted to do for a long time, I am beside my son every step of the way. I just need to overcome this emotional state. any advise Ladies?

Views: 506

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I am not sure why you didn't receive a call, I was worried myself because my son left his cell phone at home the day he left. but I did receive a call July 5th at 11:24 p.m. and I believe he was able to use someone else's phone to make that call. it was short and brief. yesterday the 10th I just received his box with his clothes and all. I did receive a text from his recruiter stating my son is ok he made it ok and gave me his address. not sure if this helps or not. but his recruiter should know some information.

Wait on the form letter before sending letters.

Hi Phoenixmom, I felt exactly the same April 6th when my son left.  He graduated June 2nd and is now in Fort Sam.  Stay close to this site, it was very helpful to me and I am sure to all the moms going through this journey for the first time.  You will get "the box" in about a week with his things.  about a week after the papers saying when he graduates and his address.  Write him often, it is the only link to the outside world.  Know that he is taken cared of.  You will get a call on the third week usually on a Saturday between 2:00 to 8:00 pm ET.  He might sound down and might even question his decision (I cried a lot after that first call and the subsequent letters I received from him) but believe me as hard as this first weeks are for you and of course him, around the fifth week they start getting it and when graduation comes around they are our proud sailors ready for their next chapter at A school.  My son is so very happy, he would not have it any other way.  Be a proud mom and support him.  It's hard but you will both get through it.  The graduation was amazing, you can live stream it on Friday mornings here is a link - http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2017/06/02/navy-recruit-graduation-june... 

Although calls can come on Saturday, then can come on ANY day that the RDC is able to schedule the phone banks. Calls come between 8 am and 8 pm Central Time on Saturdays.

Write a letter everyday with inspiring words don't dwell on your sadness- just focus on how proud you are! I cut out special sayings or funny messages on Pinterest. Make sure you number the envelopes so when you get his address and mail them he can open them in order. Most importantly be ready when you get the date for PIR to reserve your room at the Navy Lidge! Such an awesome experience. Join your PIR Group for support. Navy Mom Hugs!
What you're feeling is so normal...it was the same for me. I knew this was what our daughter wanted, but I missed her so much. The silence was the worst part. But now, after PIR, it's so clear that this is absolutely the best thing for her. You will hear from your son, but the timing of that is not under his control. The "no news is good news" mantra is really true. It gets better...but at the pace of a tortoise, not a hare.
It's ok that is normal. Write a lot to him even though you may not have his address yet (write as if they have to read it out loud in front of everyone). Then send them out one at a time. Send encouraging inspiring words to get them through as the first four weeks are tough.
Just stay busy and start planning your trip to see him. This site has so much good info but it does take awhile to get through it all. Don't forget to RSVP Sarge's meet and greet the Thursday night before your SR's PIR.

To clarify, the recruits do NOT "have to read it out loud in front of everyone."

Hi phoenixmom, your feelings and emotions are all what all us navyMoms and dads felt or feel currently. I am extremely close to my son as well. He's been in the Navy since 9/15 and it's probably the hardest to receive the short phone call. I felt helpless. I would think is this the right thing for my son? Does my son feel happy,dad,scared? All are normal. I will tell you that boot camp was the hardest for me. But once you receive his first letter you will feel so much better. I would cry 3-4 times a day just thinking what he was doing. I was stuck on Navymoms 24/7 hoping for an update! I will tell you what helped me was talking with other moms and hearing updates from fellow navymoms really helped me. The most rewarding is when you are at Great Lakes waiting to see them open the doors as all Navy sailors proceed to enter. It's such an rewarding experience as for your Sailor and as for the parents as well! Just keep thinking positive and know this is what our kids want. You have all the support from all NavyMoms!

Phoenixmom. You have only just begun. My son went in May 16th. I view these messages everyday in my email and still get teary eyed. I know I will be crying July 14th at graduation. The tears (for me) seem to just pop up when I think of where my son is at. I have talked to him a couple times. He is fine. There have been tough times but they all get through it and so will you. This site will be a God send for you will all the moms who are going thru the same thing as you. LemonElephant is also a HUGE help to all of us. She knows all! PIR (graduation) will be here before you know it. Hang in there. Add moms as friends and you will get to meet them and the meet and greet the thursday night prior to Graduation. Good Luck! Stay Strong! 

Thank you for that.

Hi Phoenixmom. My son left June 5, I still cry. I am finally receiving letters from him and I see all is well, he is fine but I still cry reading his letters. It's a life change for Mom and son so it is very emotional. Just know he is ok and very busy, just pray and start writing letters now. They are cut off from the outside world so my son loves to hear what's going on with NFL, Trump and anything informative. Hang in there Mom, it really goes by fast once you can start corresponding and hearing him say he's good. Thank you to your son for wanting to serve his country.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service