This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hey all!

Okay, so my fiancé is PACT airman and is in training at Pensacola right now. He is currently on hold and doesn't start classes until January 6th. We will be getting married once he comes home on leave. He has duty station orders to Norfolk, Virginia and I plan on moving there with him ASAP. What all is involved as far as paperwork and getting off base housing? I'm wanting to get as much done as possible before hand so that I can move there faster and get settled in to Norfolk.

Another question I have is when he emailed his duty station they said his ship that he will be on is currently deployed and has been since July 23rd. And they said that they will most likely fly him out to the carrier once he gets to Norfolk. Do they really fly people out when there is very little time left on the deployment? If they do would it be best for me to wait to move?

Thank you for any insight you guys might have!  

Views: 156

Replies to This Discussion

They do indeed fly them out.  Waiting would depend on whether or not you'd want to stay in VA without him for an unspecified amount of time. Stay flexible, you can't be sure until he's on the plane!  

You can't do a thing about the Navy paperwork until you're married, and then he has to enroll you into DEERS before you can do anything else.  

Paperwork... you can do that at any military base, not just where he is.  Use the RAPIDS locator to find the nearest facility to you.  He will need your marriage license, your SSN and ID, possibly your birth certificate (order a certified copy, just in case).  He then can enroll you in DEERS, then Tricare, and then get your ID card.  You need that ID card for your medical.  A power of attorney would not be a bad idea in case you have to get your ID card without him present.  

He then puts in for BAH, that usually is done at the same time.  That can take a few pay cycles, as long as eight to ten weeks, to show up in his pay.  Because he is in school, he'll get it for your current zip code.  Once he goes to VA, you;ll get it for there unless he can get it authorized for where you are.  It gets tricky. You may have to provide proof of where you live, so think about that, just in case.  

Yes they can send him out. I had a friend and her husband got sent out literally 3 weeks before the ship returned... they had even sent a good chunk of sailors home to start their leave as they were sending her husband out. And just because at that time there is little time left there are always extensions and things happen. As far as paperwork for housing Anti M pretty much summed it up. But if you aren't planning on living in base housing you can rent an apartment, townhouse etc as you wish. I would definitely reach out to the housing office in Norfolk they will look over your lease and make sure its all up to par as far as keeping you guys protected. You cant do much with the military until yall are married. He can do some things, but there isn't much to do for a married couple while he is still a single sailor. If yall have the money and the bah and you can afford to go to Norfolk and look around for apartments It wouldn't be a bad idea. My husband was so glad I had moved before the end of his deployment and gotten a house so when he got home from deployment he just walked off the ship, got in the car, and 30 minutes later we were home, not at a hotel, or rushing to find somewhere to live we already had something.

Absolutely right about the housing office looking over the lease, be sure it has the military clause which lets you break it if you get housing or he gets new orders, and so on.

So many people don't know about that! I am so glad I did, while I have rented before they called me and explain specific parts of my lease that were different than normal leases. And one thing I found is that in Norfolk area (I am a little bit north of Norfolk) that some of the property managers will actually insert clauses in the lease that can waive your rights under the military relief act. Like under our first lease we waived part of his rights under that act, but it was the part that mostly applies to single sailors that might be gone and not receive a notice about a lease violation in time to fix it before the normal legal time limit. Which the housing office explained to me wouldn't matter as long as we didn't violate our lease in the first place, which I don't do. lol

While we're discussing the Military Clause...

When I signed my lease with my landlords, I learned that the military lease can go both ways, for the landlords and the tenants. If our landlords would happen to get orders back here, they could give us a 30 days notice to be moved out so they can have their home back, and then of course if we get orders out, we can give them 30 days notice before we leave. Had it not been for the fact that her husband is supposed to be on his last duty station and they are planning on trying to sell the house again right after we leave, I would have been concerned. 

interesting! I never knew that but it makes sense!

Also, if you arent on his orders, the navy will not pay to move you/your belongings.  It takes a bit after marriage and paperwork to get on his page 2.  Also, when you get your ID, make sure to ask (if applicable) which doors to go in, any special instructions... When I went, they didnt tell me I had to ring a door bell. So  I had to walk around the whole building and ask the recruiters what and where i needed to go, and they didnt really have a clue.  What should have taken 15 min, took like 45 min with me waiting for someone to notice me.

AntiM,

I never had to have a POA to get my ID card.  I just went to the center and they did it.  no questions asked. But maybe MN is different than other places?  I ended up going to the Army Reserves location and they brought me in, looked at my paperwork, and took my pic, printed and viola.

Some of the facilities can be very strict, and require more than the basic signed form/ID and SSN.  I have seen posts here where the poor new wife can't get a card easily.  Personally, I think it some pencil pusher overreaching their authority, but there's not much which can be done if a new spouse runs into that situation.  Better to have a POA and not need it than not have it and do without the ID card.  

Does that make sense?

Yup all  ID centers are different, and within the centers you will find different people that do it differently. The first one I went to they wouldn't even change my maiden name to my married name because I hadn't gone to the social security office yet and officially changed it. Even though I was going to make a trip to it the next day. Most typically will change it for ya.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service