This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Girls.. a spot to share your tales and woe about this wonderful place....Is your sailor here?  Do you need info, advice... or just to vent... Here's the place to do it  ..I should have started this when my son was there. So I gave  you a gift.. Share  your thoughts... in one spot  so you  don't have to look thru the comments to find what you need.. It's all in one nice  little spot....  don't be shy.....

Views: 388

Replies to This Discussion

This is a WONDERFUL idea! :o)

J is heading back there tomorrow - major SAD FACE :o(  But he will be back doing all the good things he's meant to do - and he'll keep his happy face while he does it.  For ANYONE who need information about life there, and how best to make things work - please feel free to ask.  I don't have ALL the answers - but J has been through so much while he's been there, that we've certainly learned a LOT! And what is the value of knowledge if it's not shared?!?!

I look forward to sharing and learning more about this beautiful place with each of you!

Blessings,
~mar~

Hi all, this is a great idea!  My son just left today after 5 weeks home :(   He has been stationed in Okinawa for around 8 months, another 2+ years to go.  Hard to tell when he might be home again.  While he was here, I was able to set up his i-phone with texting so now as long as he has WIFI, he can text...yeah!!  It was a very eventful leave, he had emergency surgery while he was here so ended up staying a week longer than planned.  Since he was here for longer than planned, he and his girl-friend decided to get married!  Yep, 2 days before he left he got married at the town hall.  Now they are 8,000 miles apart...I don't understand the rush but from what I can tell that is the "military way". 

that is some VERY EXCITING NEWS...even if it's not the way you would have chosen. :o)  I know that for some sailors and their "gals' - knowing that they have made the commitment makes them feel more secure. But I always say - they have their WHOLE LIVES, so why rush it?!  Especially when they can't be together anyway....but then I guess there is the increase in pay, the benefits and the possibility that the Navy may move her closer.  Who can explain love??!?!

I hope his surgery went really well and he's all healed up.  He and J are at about the same place in their time - J's been there for a little over a year and has til Oct 2012 there. Does your son like it?!

Congrats?  Financially, she is much better off as his spouse, full medical, housing allowance, and in the loop. Also eligible to be moved to where his next orders are.   Maybe the emergency surgery scared them, she'd have no access as a GF, but full rights as a spouse.  I get it.  

First two years of my Navy marriage, I saw my husband for a grand total of 28 days.  Entirely doable.  LOL, we honeymoon a lot.

Sounds like I'm the Okinawa newbie.  I think we are good with the free texting app.  Texted with him a few times.  My son is not the most expressive via his texts.  I receive 1-2 word answers such as, "what is your 1st impression with okinawa?" his response, "its whatever, nice I guess"  Me-"how many hours were you in the plane", him-"lots".  I much prefer talking on the phone.  I hope he can get his internet set up soon so we can have a conversation.  I found 6:30 am the best time to communicate.

It must be so hard to send them back once you get them home again. 

JLC-I'm hoping your has made a good recovery from his surgery.  Hopefully he has better weather getting out of the states then my son did.  Congrats on the wedding.

I hope both your sailors have safe travels back to Okinawa.

it is hard.  My heart is starting to really hurt about putting him on the plane tomorrow morning.  I've gone through it once before (last summer) and after a couple days we got into our same routine...skype, phone calls, etc.  But this time I have NO idea when he'll be home again. It may be summer 2013 for his little brothers high school grad...and that is FAR TOOOOOOO LONG.  Just thinking about it makes me want to cry.  I really do envy anyone who has a sailor that is at least stationed in the US. Even if they're at sea on a ship - at least when they're in port it's possible to go see them without it costing thousands of dollars and 24 hours on a flight... **SIGH**  someday......... this phase will pass for all of us!

Mar-I feel your pain.  When you start putting dates to things such as "summer 2013" or when my 6th grader is in 9 th grade, it seems like such a long time to wait.  When my son told me he was going to Japan, I was happy for him but when he said it would be 2.5 maybe three years, I cringed.  He considered a duty station in US but, then said he could not pass this opportunity up.  I had to put on a strong face and told him to go for it.  I am hoping in a year or so to go visit him.  My younger boys would love to go but, I had to tell them that they most likely will not get to go because of the cost.  This past summer I was at least able to hop on a flight to Texas for 2 visits.  He also came home 2x.  It made it a little easier missing him.  Now the distance and the time are too much of an inconvience.  I feel a little obsessed right now with talking to him.  I NEED to know!  I know in a few days this will pass and I can get back to normal.     Hang in there.  It is great we can vent to each other and really understand what each of us is feeling.

There is so much ahead!  Please make sure your son know about the USO there on base.  They are SO helpful with any issues that may come up.  Very supportive.  SKYPE is a BEAUTIFUL thing once your son can get a computer hooked up.  There is free WiFi in the USO also - if he can't get it in his room right away.

ALSO...I just started a NEW GROUP  - Okinawa Moms  - so feel free to join!  I thought it would give us an easier way to communicate rather than just "replying" to each others posts! :)

Mar, my son is not thrilled with Okinawa, he says there isn't much to do and they have to have a liberty buddy to go off base.  He liked Camp Pendleton much better.  There has been altogether way too much drinking in my opinion, but I'm only the mom, his wife now will have to try to talk some sense into him :)  

No, I wouldn't have done the marriage thing like them but it was their decision, and I supported them even if I wouldn't have done it.  I know my son wanted to make sure he could get her on so maybe at some point she will be able to go to Oki to live with him or at least be able to move with his next command.  He's my only child so not only do I deal with the empty nest syndrome, now I know I officially take a back-seat to his wife.  I have a friend who was in the Air Force, he said this is the way it is for most of them....get married, wait to see your spouse for months at a time so it's just the life they choose.

Surgery was for a hernia, so he's still sore but it's amazing how much more quickly they recuperate at 23!  I'd probably still be recuperating.  Haven't heard from him since he landed in Washington DC yesterday morning, but I have to assume all is well since I've been tracking the flights.  Should be in Oki in a few hours but imagine he'll call his wife first, I just want to know he made it there fine. 

My son will be going to Okinawa about mid May once he graduates from A school, with a small two month stint in San Diego.

I know I will be needing advice on a lot of things like phones and internet, etc.  The only real downfall about this is that he is supposed to be the best man in his older brother's wedding in July and it's not looking like he will be able to be there for that.   

jacketfan-welcome.  My son is new to Okinawa. He has been there about a week so far.  I'm learning the ropes as well.  I can tell you that my son bought a new iphone pretty much right off the plane and has been communicating with me so far by text message.  He installed a free app. We have not gotten to the actual phone conversation yet.  I'm hoping he gets internet soon.

That is really too bad that he will miss his brother's wedding.  What will your son be doing in Japan?

Look forward to future converstaions.

A little nervous and a little sad all at the same time.  My sailor is on his way to Okinawa.  I hope all goes well for him.  I hope he can get some sleep before getting there tomarrow.  I have a feeling tomarrow will be long day. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service