This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My wonderful husband left just last night.  He is down town right now at MEPS waiting to be taken to the airport and then he's off to basics.

I knew there would be tears and it would be hard... I didn't know it was going to be this hard. 

I pulled it together for the kiddos and surprisingly my 7 year old daughter is doing great... and my 18 month old son really has no clue as to what is going on.

I on the other hand... I'm a wreck. I think because I held it all in as best I could yesterday in front of the kids that today, while my kids aren't with me, my tear ducts are overflowing.  I made my way into work this morning and I keep tearing up so I can hardly see the computer screen to get any work done. 

Will I ever stop crying?

Abby

Views: 82

Replies to This Discussion

It's hard but it'll be fine. You learn how to be strong and stay busy. There will be days that it sucks, but try not to worry so much. This is just boot camp. You know that everything is okay and that he is safe. He's not off on deployment yet and he's going to be able to write you soon. It'll be about 2-3 weeks till you get your first letter, but you'll get a box within the first week or so with all his stuff, including his cloths. Cherish the smell. Before my husband deployed I made him wear a bunch of his shirts for days so and put them in plastic bags so I could have his scent when I really needed it. Maybe it's kinda weird, but it calms me down and makes me feel better. I also have his cologne which I sprayed on one of my pillows the first week he left.

You'll be fine though. Just stay strong. Chat on here. You're not alone and you're not the first to go through this. Trust me, weaker people have done it, so can you! <3
This is how I was last week (my husband left for bootcamp last Monday). I couldn't stop crying, made my way into work, and the entire day I was tearing up. It's hard to believe he has only been gone for a week, it feels like he's been gone much longer. It does get a little easier. I think the first day was the worst for me, coming home from work and him not being there. I've just been trying to stay busy with friends and family. Some moments are harder than others, but it should get better (at least I hope!)
I've been writing him letters since the day he left, even though I have no where to send them yet. It makes me feel better writing to him, I feel like I am still getting to talk to him and share my day with him. He will have a lot to read once I get an address! Stay strong, and think about how great it will be once you do get to see him!
He'll need all that Jamielyn. Trust me. Lol, boot sucks just as much being there as it does bein the one waiting.
It will get better I promise. I know exactly what you are going through. Being strong for your kids, and when you finally get alone it all boils over. I find what helps me is to concentrate on good things ahead. And I sometimes watch sappy movie so I cry all at once and get it out. Then I feel much better the next day.

Just remember, this is only temporary. Its not forever.

It wil get better hun.

Monica
Thank you all for the kind words, advice and encouragement. It's nice to have people to talk to that have been in my shoes!

I have such a great support team... I have family and friends calling, texting, e-mailing... BUT each time someone contacts me I just cry even more. I almost want to turn my phone off! But I won't just incase he can call before his flight leaves. It sucks that he's at the air port in the same city and I can't talk to him. I want to spend every last second talking to him but I know we can't.

Before he left he told me he left me a letter... I'm carrying it in my purse but I'm to afraid to read it... I'm not sure if I can handle it right now. Jeez... I fee like such a baby... I don't usually cry a lot... and I've had those cries that sound like I'm on the verge of hyperventilating. Ugh! I just want to call it a day at work and head home but I know all I'll do there is mope around until the kids get home. SOOO... I'll just stay my butt here and fight through it... and pray that my future sailor is staying strong as well!
Yeah I understand how you feel with him being close by but not being able to see him. My husband was close as well when he was at the airport. He did give me a quick call while he was in the airport waiting to leave which was nice!
Despite the fact that you're at work and really sad, at the same time it is a good thing - at least you're around other people instead of just sitting home alone and sad! That's what I had to keep telling myself last week!
I went through the same thing last Monday but once I received the letter with his information including his PIR Date I feel much better!
It is good to let the tears flow.Your doing the right thing being strong in front of the kids.But like Lilly said once that PIR date comes then you get to start planning and it keeps ur mind busy.I left a post on the 2nd guess that you started.Please read it.I was in your very shoes 9 years ago when my husband joined the Navy.Now my son is in the Navy and going to Submarine school following in Dad's footsteps.
Thanks so much for the inspiration... it is great to know there is an exciting future ahead of us. I look forward to the new experiences... I think the idea of moving elsewhere for even just a little while is the part that excites me most. I'm glad to meet someone that knows exactly how all of this feels and works... thanks again.
Hi Lilly,

How long did it take to receive his letter with the PIR Date info? How have you been this week... tell me it gets easier? :-)

Abby
I'm sorry LikebetterwithaP, I didn't realize you had asked me this question a day ago....So here it goes: He left on Monday the 16th and last Saturday the 20th I received the letter w/his address and the PIR Date...As I am reading what you said on the comment earlier about missing him; it makes me laugh and don't get offended because that's EXACTLY how I felt the week before he left and once he left I was sobbing ALL last week on and off but once I received the letter; it gave me strength and LOTS of hope this week knowing that these last 6 1/2 weeks will go by quick! Let us know what his PIR Date will be.....Plus, you have a group of friends here with ya! :)
Thanks Lilly,

Wow you got a letter with his PIR Date 4 days later? That's really quick... who does the letter come from? Did your husband send it? I didn't realize we would get a PIR date that quickly! That's exciting! Something to look foward to and like you said make the time go by quick!

Abby

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service