This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Hi, I am a Seal wannabe mom. Looking for other moms that are dreading Pre buds and then the big move to California for Buds after graduation.

Views: 1024

Replies to This Discussion

Migi'smom--my son attends chapel too--they may know each other! Also, like your son and tsmom, I also noticed a big improvement in my son's handwriting. When he is able to come home for leave at some point, I may just leave some clothes out to be ironed, to check out that newly honed skill as well! :)
Brie, I always had to iron my son's work shirt and pants, he never touched my iron. I tried to teach him, but he was hopeless and impatient! However, when my son came home on leave for the first time... I woke up at 6:15 am, (mind you, he had arrived home at midnight!) and sleepily wandered downstairs to the laundry room. The first thing I saw was my iron cheerfully steaming away on my ironing board, and THREE freshly pressed uniforms hanging on my line! I about fell over!! LOL He didn't touch the pile I had next to it though, drat.

He still can't make a decent rack to save his life, so the bed doesn't get made when he's home! Can't win them all. :-)

That handwriting IS wonderful. :) Think they call that Recruit handwriting. It is taught and drilled into them during P week when they have to fill out all the medical paperwork and send the official form letter home. My son's was a mess before.
Hee hee. Did you jump out from behind the box bonosmom? :)

My teen daughter freaked ours out once, I'm sure of it. He was putting the mail in our box, she came bursting out our front door and flew down the driveway, yelling "MAIL"S HEEERRREE!!" at the top of her lungs...he took off so fast, he left a a cloud of dust behind! LOL
Hi My son seems to be the youngest in the group he jsut turned 19. says he is with guys that he PTed with here in florida Anyone from florida?
Good Morning everyone. I hope this day finds everyone in good spirits. I'm new to the whole Navy thing. I've never been close to anyone in the armed forces so I'm learning all the time. My boyfriend is on ship 04 div 823. This week was the best because he called on Tuesday. I missed the first call and he left a voicemail. He sounded really sad that I didn't answer. I was so upset that I missed it. I cried just hearing his voice knowing that I wouldn't get another chance. But he called back ten minutes later and it was the best 7 minutes ever. I also got my first letter on Wednesday. So yeah this week has been incredible. Also, this site is very helpful. Thank you everyone for sharing what they know.
Just to clear up the "Hell Week" confusion...that is an old term that is sometimes used for one of the weeks during Boot Camp when there is a barrage of tests and extra busy days of training. It's all mostly academic, some physical, none of it particularly brutal, just a very long week. My son actually wrote and said he didn't know why it was referred to as such, as he thought either the next week-or week after (can't remember now)-was waay tougher! It gives some BC Moms the sweats to hear the term, and they worry until they get their next letter, but for our SEAL Moms, (and all Spec Ops loved ones) it should barely register on your radar screen in light of all that lies ahead. :)

Believe me, as someone who has lived through the real HW experiance, (and neither I or my Sailor EVER want to repeat that again! It is aptly named!!), nothing in BC is particularly difficult. (Easy for me to say! LOL) Your guys are already demonstrating a HOOYAH attitude and teamwork. =) They have the right stuff, they have great leadership and are well equipped to get though it all. You will probably even hear some of them complain about being less in shape when they finish BC then when they started due to there being a "lower level of daily PT" then they were used to, except they do get extra time in the pool. :) Pre Buds training should take care of that if so.

Just an FYI: you can go to Chapel on the base with your new Sailor on the Sunday after PIR. =) There are all denominations of worship services available. At ours, the Sailors sat in the balcony with their proud families, the Recruits were a sea of blue down below. The Pastor had every new Sailor stand and everyone cheered and clapped for them. It was a proud Mom moment for me, so I hope you get to experiance that too! :-)

There's a LOT to learn about the Navy life overall and especially about the Spec Ops path NavyAteed, so ask away, there's no such thing as a stupid question. :) I'm sure Tsmom and the others will get you up to speed on what they know so far and you are welcome to drop in on my page anytime. Best wishes to your BF! Glad he called back!! :D
thank goodness for prebud's so they can get back into shape. Going from working out 5 hours a day to barely anything is hard on a body. But I am sure they will bounce back fast since they are all in superior shape. Wish I could say the same for me. Im really out of shape! and would not bounce back.
good choice in books another good book is Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell . My son read these books as he prepared for the seal program. These books give you a straight forward account of a seals life . hope you all have a great day PIR is going to be here before we know it! YIPPEE
No letters or calls, but I am okay with that. I got my one letter and call (in addition to the form letter and "I'm here" call) and those were great. More would be great, but I don't feel the need to rush home for the mail right now. Of course next week (or tomorrow) that could all change! I finished cleaning and organizing my son's room this weekend and it looks great! Of course 2/3s of the junk is now in the guest room. I'm going to give him an opportunity to go through the stuff and decide what to do with it. We'll see how that goes. :)
tsmom--I check this site while I'm at work and the Anchor's Aweigh song is great, but it's driving me crazy a bit--no disrespect intended either. Every time I update, it starts fresh and I don't know how to disable it. I just rush to pause it. I am hoping my co-workers aren't noticing the music!
Welcome to NavyAteed! Alot of us are brand new to the military experience, so we can all learn together and from each other! What part of the country are you from and are you coming to graduation?
Another week starting and that much closer to graduation and pre-buds!
HOOYAH! :)
tsmom, first of all, no dear, I don't think the Spec Ops police are going to come and take you away or close your page, for your prior post! LOL

The teacher in me just can't resist an educational moment here...

according to Navy.mil: "The word "weigh" in this sense comes from the archaic word meaning to heave, hoist or raise. "Aweigh" means that that action has been completed. The anchor is aweigh when it is pulled from the bottom. This event is duly noted in the ship's log."

So there you have it. :)

Btw: the song was written in 1906 by a Navy Lt, at the request of a Navy Midshipman. He wanted an inspiring song, with a bit of a swing to it, that could be played as a football marching song and be used generally thereafter. "This march was played by the band and sung by the brigade at the 1906 Army-Navy football game later that month, and for the first time in several seasons, Navy won." =)

Here are some of the lyrics that spurred them on:

[Verse 1]
"Stand Navy down the field, sails set to the sky.
We'll never change our course, so Army you steer shy-y-y-y.
Roll up the score, Navy, Anchors Aweigh.
Sail Navy down the field and sink the Army, sink the Army Grey

[Verse 2]
Get underway, Navy, Decks cleared for the fray,
We'll hoist true Navy Blue So Army down your Grey-y-y-y.
Full speed ahead, Navy; Army heave to,
Furl Black and Grey and Gold and hoist the Navy, hoist the Navy Blue!
"

In later years, the original verses were rewritten to the familiar stanzas we hear played today-and that you will all hear your sons singing, along with hundreds of their new shipmates- (Just try to get through that and the star Spangled Banner w/out a tear in your eye!. I couldn't.) Most commonly sung is the amended verse two:

"Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh.
Farewell to college joys, we sail at break of day-ay-ay-ay.
Through our last night on shore, drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home." :)
p.s. Navy Mom pride aside, I do have to agree with you all however about the annoyance of that song bursting forth every time I come to this Group's main PIR page. Now, I just hit the mute button on my laptop first! I woke my poor hubby out of a sound sleep the other night, with those trumpets blaring! LOL
My son is in div 823 also and we are from San Diego so if anyone may have questions about the area , let me know and I will try to answer the best I can. We have lived here 14 years. Looking forward to PIR also.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service