This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
My SR is PIR on 6/10.  I am told that he may be a Saturday departure to Nukes.  When will he know his travel plans?  Our family has booked the weekend in Waukegan to spend a little time with him, but will this mean we will not have time to visit or go sight seeing with him? 

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

LeilandT -

My son just PIR'd this past weekend 5/13.  He is an EM Nuke.  We had till 7 p.m. on Friday, but we got him back to the Base by 6:20p.m. just to make sure he had plenty of time before curfew.  He was up and ready to go by 1:30 a.m. on Saturday morning 5/14, to go to the airport to fly out.  We said our goodbyes and see-ya-laters at 4:45 a.m. and he was gone.

It was a very short but very sweet visit.  Of course,like most moms, it wasn't near enough time.  If your SR is NOT staying in Great Lakes for A School, he will most likely fly out the next day.  His departure time will be at the mercy of the airline.  Some SR's have an earlier flight time than others - one mom I know thru N4m's - her son didn't fly out till nearly 8 p.m. Saturday night.  My son flew out by 6 a.m.

Also, be prepared for him not to know what to do!  Our son wanted to be off Base but we didn't have much time for sight-seeing.  He wanted to eat fried greasy food and then a big steak!  We took him to Arby's for curly fries and an order of mozzarella sticks for starters.  Then it was off to Chili's - he had a Ribeye steak, loaded potatoes, cinnamon apples, 2 huge glasses of Dr. Pepper (the REAL stuff - no diet!) and a double portion of cheesecake (thanks to our waitress!).  ALL was eaten!  Then we were on to Starbucks for a Grande double shot espresso raspberry something or other - that disappeared too!  Never seen a kid eat so much and still want more!

Good Luck and enjoy what time you will have with him.   It does get easier - trust me!  Since my son left yesterday I've talked to him probably 3 times!  It's so wonderful to have his cell phone back - he's been texting and calling - AWESOME!!!

Enough rambling for now. 

Mama C

Thanks Mama C.  Last summer he was in Tanzania Africa for two months, and the woman who looked after him was called "Mama Charlotte", so your name caught my eye!

My SR is a little older, so it is not so crazy.  I have noticed that our groceries last much longer now.  :)  He is headed for Nukes, so I think he will be flying out to Charleston for MM or something like that.  We are in Florida, so I am kind of excited to have him there, since it will be easier for us to visit him.  I am really looking forward to him getting his cellphone back.  Never thought I would miss the incessant texting!

Congratulations on your son's PIR!!!  Thanks so much for the information!  I will just plan on spending as much time with him as I can, and I will plan on watching him eat a lot of junk food!!!

Leiland

He should get his travel plans on the Wed. before PIR.  Unfortunately, you probably will not talk to him until right after PIR.  Our sailor was a Saturday departure.  We got to the airport at about 3am, got gate passes, and stayed with him until his 7am departure.  We gave him his black bag with his phone, camera, ipod, laptop, some clothes, etc.  We did stay in Waukegan until Sunday night.  It was sad because we didn't get to spend all weekend with him.  We did some tourist things, and texted pictures, and was in contact with him by text and phone.
Our SR is PIR on 6/3 and you all have touched on some of my concerns...thank you for the insight.

Fool Me Once - Leiland ~  I was just browsing again here and thought I'd check this discussion out again.  Glad I could  answer some of  your questions.  Hope it was helpful or as clear as mud!  My son has been in Charleston for a full week and is still in INDOC - basically he's cleaning, polishing and doing whatever the Petty Officers ask him to do.  He said he could be in INDOC for another 3 weeks anyway, before he classes up.  I guess it's "Hurry Up and Wait" - just like the Navy way!   I've never been on the East Coast at all, so I have no clue about where anything is.  Looking forward to seeing it when we take his car to him sometime this summer.

I have been amazed at how long our groceries last - particularly the milk!  I've actually had 2 half gallons of milk go bad cuz he's not home to drink it.  And not near the laundry!  It's been nice to be able to talk to him and text and even be on FB now that BC is over.  Never thought I would say that, but it's true! 

Enjoy what time you will have with him and be thankful you're going to be closer than we are!  We live in Indiana - about 13 hrs. drive time from what I've been told.  PIR is awesome!  Make sure you have plenty of battery time on your camera or extra batteries. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service