This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son Justin is a Nuke who has been moved to 04/2341 for "stress fracture" in right leg. He was in week 3 or 4 on 09/014 when he injured his leg. He was to PIR Dec. 2, and leave for SC on Dec 3.

Justin’s fiance (Rebecca) got a short phone call from him last night. This is our 2cnd call since he left Oct 5, and the first since we heard of his leg “injury” in his letter written Nov 2. We had been told if the injury was bad enough we would have gotten an immediate call from him.

He said a bone scan (done Nov 10) confirmed he has a “stress fracture” in his right leg. He must still be on “light duty” and/or in “physical therapy” (I didn’t speak to him), as he says he will not be able to graduate with his original class (PIR 12-2).  Rebecca said he sounded “positive”, and he thinks he may be able call every other week.

Now, a few questions for anyone that may have been thru this before;
1. Is division “2341” for those with injuries, waiting to resume boot camp with another division when he has been OK’d by Dr?
2. What is the difference between div 2431 and RCU?
3. Assuming a “normal recovery”, how much time does this sort of thing normally add to a recruit’s BC? What should we expect that he will doing (physical therapy, studying, extra ?)?
4. I know he is an adult now, and HIPPA prevents the Navy from telling us anything, but is there any way for us to follow his recovery without having to wait for the week old letter, or rare call?
5. He was to have some time off at Christmas, but I guess he will now get whatever schedule his new division has. Will that depend on the division he joins?
6. As his ship/div has changed, and the street address is 3600 Ohio...is the rest the same? Has the last 4 digits of the zip changed?
7. Do they need phone cards or anything different while here?

Anyone with any experience with this or ideas/answers, please let me know. Thank You! Mark

Views: 223

Replies to This Discussion

So sorry to hear that.  Mine was in RCU last year and was taken very good care of.  I'll try to give you some of the answers you are looking for.

1 & 2 Division 2341 is housed in Ship 4 and is RCU (Recruit Care Unit).  He will remain there and "phase up" in his treatment/therapy until he is determined to be FFD (Fit for Full Duty) by the doctors.  With a stress fracture, anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. 

3.  He will do his physical therapy, go to doctors appointments, etc so that he can recover from his injury.  He is still treated like other recruits as far at bootcamp rules are concerned.  He will go through inspections, study, and may be assigned a "job" while there (mail, laundry, yeoman, etc)

4.  There really is no way to follow his recovery.  This is the hardest part for a parent.  We have always been there in the past, even to kiss a boo boo or recommend an over the counter cold medicine, but no more.  You will have to wait for his calls and/or letters. 

5.  After he is FFD, he will join a new division to complete his training and will follow their schedule.  He will pick up a division which is at the same point he was when sent to RCU so it won't be like starting bootcamp all over.

6.  His address will have changed and he should call or write you his new address.  Obviously he is not Ship 9 Division 014 but is Ship 4, Division 2341.  I don't know the address for ship 4 (it was housed in Ship 6 when my sailor was there).  Any mail that had already been sent before he was moved will eventually make it to him, but it make take a week or two to catch up to him.

7.  They need the same things as regular bootcamp.  He will call with status updates (mine usually called on Sunday afternoon) but other than that, no other special priveleges.

The most important thing to do is to encourage him everyday.  It gets pretty depressing in there, especially as their PIR date nears.  Let him know that the Chaplains are available to talk to as are other counselors.  Tell him to talk to a Chaplain if he is weary or down.  Chaplains are bound by confidentiality.  Send him cards, letters, inspirational quotes, etc.  Anything to keep his spirits up.

Hope this helps a little!

Will be praying for a full recovery. Our SR is there now. He has a complete fracture of the upper fibula. He went in Oct 20. It has been a long 4 weeks or so. The hardest part is waiting to hear from him.  We did receive a phone call the day he entered so that is good news for you. The injury may not be too bad.  Letters seem to take a little longer in RCU. Div 2341 houses not only the injuries, but also the FIT. It is where recruits go if they are unable to pass some part of their training. They will take very good care of him. Ours was given a yeoman's job while there and it is making it more bearable. He was able to get off his crutches and out of his brace on Tues. He has now entered Phase 2 of 4. He began physical therapy and was also able to start back with some of his training.  He was to have gone through PIR on 11/10.  Depending on when your SR went in during his training will determine whether he has to rejoin a unit or be given the option of completing BC in the RCU. Ours will be finishing in the RCU, but we don't know when that will be (to be determined by how he heals).  He was in Div 823 EOD. He was supposed to be finished to be home for Thanksgiving, but of course with his injury that didn't happen. We are now praying that he will be able to make it home for Christmas but, that is a slim chance. At this point, we are just praying for a full and complete recovery.  The address is the same with the exception of the Ship and Div.. Ship 4 Div 2341.  The last four digits are the same. Just shower him with letters and prayers. It is very difficult on their esteem. At some point they begin to feel they have let everyone down. Just let him know how proud you are of him and encourage him. Still learning, but I hope what I know was a help to you. Oh, we have received one call since he has been there and it was on a Sunday afternoon. This also depends, as I understand it, if everyone behaves themselves and noone causes any trouble. It seems they lose their phone privileges. Before ours went in, I understand they were able to call every other Sunday.  Patience and Prayer. Visit here often too. It is a great support group. Couldn't have made it through this far without these wonderful ladies.

My son is Nuke as well. He had stress fractures in both legs that ended up breaking all the way this all happened 8 days before PIR he went to RCU (ship 04 Div 2341) one in the same, He did his rehab and PIR'd on 11/4 and is now at goose creek and starts A school on Monday. Hang in there send lots of letters and encouragement. Each phase of rehab is generally 2 weeks there are 4 phases. I sent Colten laminated word finds and cross words and sodoku he had markers so they passed them around. He will have good days and bad days. Colten told me the other day that he feels he is more prepared for what is to come because he was in RCU.  

Colten's Mom... Our son has said the same thing. He is in much better spirits. I continually said to him that he needed to be patient. Wait, because everything happens for a reason and we may not see it right away, but patience will help us see.  Easier said than done I know. But, he told me the other day that he thought he was beginning to see why all this happened. Great news about PIR. I think I missed that message. I know you are proud. We are praying he can finish before Christmas.

Oh my goodness, Thank you for all the great input!

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town.

We still haven't heard anything else since that 1 brief call,

so I will take that to be (possibly) good news!

So good to know we're not the only ones to go thru this!

I will try to pass that on to Justin as well.

Again, Thanks to ALL for the input!!!

Mark... Glad we were able to help. Give all the encouragement you can. Lots and Lots of letters. Received a letter from our SR today and even though he is on the mend and things are looking up it is still very stressful and he has his moments of doubt and wanting to give up. So even though they seem to be getting better, don't slack up on the encouragement.

Goodness...my son, Justin, is a Nuke and just called us tonight telling us he is in RCU with stress fractures in his feet at the end of week 4. I have read a lot of posts...I am so upset for him! I don't want him to be down or discouraged; let me take that for him! 

Are there any other new moms or dads experiencing this right now?

Should we expect his PIR date to be moved to the end of November or so? (When will they let us know?)

I am usually strong...tonight I am weak...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service