This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I found out tonight they will be announcing the 2009 schedule next week. As soon as I have the cities and dates I will post.

Once they are posted, we can decide on what city Navy Moms want to walk.

Joyce ask me to start a discussion about the 3-Day. Here goes

The 3-Day is held in 14 cities this year. Anyone the that signs up to walk commits to raising $2200. They will walk 60 miles over 3 days and camp each night. This will be my 4th year to participate in the DFW event. I walked the 1st year and I have been on the crew since. The crew supports the walkers. As crew we do not have to raise money, but most do as we are want end breast cancer. We basically run the camp, medical and the pit stops on route along with 3-Day staff. This year in Dallas we have approximately 2000 + walker and 400 crew members.

The funds raised support the Susan G. Koman and National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. 85% of the proceeds goes to Koman and 15% to NPT for breast cancer research.

I have a team 'Boobs With Attitude' in memory of mom and in honor of my aunt. I participate because I did not have a choice in losing my mom and I don't want my daughter and son walking in memory of me. Besides I am a new grandma and want to be around to see her grow up. My children missed not having their grandmother around.

You can visit my website for more information

http://08.the3day.org/goto/thoes3day

Regards
MeLinda
Mom to Joshua (Navy)
Mom to Chrisanna (Teacher)
Grandma to Zoe

Views: 352

Replies to This Discussion

A team can be as few as 2 people. My team in Dallas this year is only 2. I think is would be great to have a team of Navy Mom's and Dad's too for next year. Even though everyone would be scatter during the year. There are training walks that you can attend in your area. All that information would be listed on your participant center when you register for next year.
I am really considering signing on for this coming year... This is something that i have been wanting to do for over FIVE years, and continually talk myself out of it, thinking that I won't be able to raise that kind of money...
Every year I watch the videos of the events, cry my eyes out, and start training... When I'm on the treadmill, I always picture crossing that pink line and that makes me cry even more!!! This is something that I want to do so badly, I'm just really afraid to commit b/c of the money... How in the world does one raise over $2000?? I just don't know that many people!!!
What an amazingly beautiful accomplishment, though! Gosh, I couldn't imagine doing anything more meaningful!
Kimberly and I talked about this when I was there Thursday night/Friday morning - I'll be signing up when I return from my trip to visit my parents . . .
I thought I'd post info in the lounge at my work as well as letting friends and family know - if I start raising the funds now I'll have almost a full year . . . I'm hoping to get a monthly committment from my siblings - $5/month + $60/each by next October, if I can get the same from a few friends/neighbors I'll be well on my way:)! I plan on opening an additional account at the credit union so a bit of interest can accrue too:)!
GIANT HUGS to all:)!
I am in San Diego this week for my son's homecoming. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I get back to Dallas, I will send the information to register at the discounted rate.

Joyce if you are still interested in being a Team Captain that is great. If you like we both can co-captain and work on this together. I know that I will crew instead of walk, but captaining the team does not matter as we would encourage all members.

my personal email is thoes3day@verizon.net if you want to discuss futher

MeLinda
Hi there all my lovely Ship Shape Up girls:)!

I have registered for the 3-Day Walk next September in Seattle . . . YIKES!!!!!

If any of you would like more information . . . or would consider joining me (hint, hint!!!!) . . . here the link to 'our' NavyforMoms.com team . . .

http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/Walk/SeattleEvent?team_id=57680&...

Questions? ASK ME and I'll do my darndest to find out . . . GIANT HUGS to all:)!
Hi there ladies:)! We have another NFM member who just finished this year's walk in San Francisco . . . she post some great pics as a comment on my 'travel' blog . . .
http://www.navyformoms.com/profiles/blogs/1971797:BlogPost:862739#c...
I LOVED seeing all the bright pink tents:)!

This is going to be SO much fun:)! Hope you're all having a FABULOUS day:)!
Thought I'd 'bump' this discussion back up to the front page as we've got a few more people participating now:)!

Shannon . . . yes, the Get Started meeting was incredible . . . I'm kinda glad that I did the 'teleconference' option tho' as I don't want to become 'known' as the one that keeps crying ALREADY - LOL:)!
It was really emotional for me to hear the reasons WHY various people are walking . . . my mom's a survivor after having had a masectomy about nine years ago . . .

The training schedule for 24 weeks will begin for those of us walking in Seattle on March 30th . . . so the 'clock is ticking' . . . hee-hee:)!
Don't have to wait until then to start tho' . . . I'm trying to be a little more consistent and fit SOMETHING into almost every day:)!
GIANT HUGS to all:)!
Suggested 24-Week Training Schedule (Week 1 for the Seattle Walk begins March 30th)

Mon (3/30) - Rest
Tues (3/31) - Walk 3 miles (Easy)
Wed (4/1) - Cross Train moderate 0 minutes (Yes, that's zero minutes - LOL!)
Thurs (4/2) - Walk 3 miles (Moderate)
Fri (4/3) - Cross Train easy 30 minutes
Sat (4/4) - Walk 3 miles (Easy)
Sun (4/5) - Walk 3 miles (Easy)

Easy Walk is 2 to 3 miles/hour on flat surfaces
Moderate Walk is 3 to 4 miles/hour or incorporate hills
Cross Training - any activity that increases your heart rate and uses your whole body, this includes:
bicycling, using an elliptical trainer, swimming, rollerblading, Pilates, yoga or dance
Note: Duration is more important than intensity/type of activity
Countdown: 23 Weeks

Your Training Schedule for This Week:
Monday Rest
Tuesday 3 miles Easy walking
Wednesday Rest
Thursday 3 miles Moderate walking
Friday 30 minutes Easy cross-training
Saturday 4 miles Easy walking
Sunday 3 miles Easy walking
Countdown: 22 Weeks

Your Training Schedule for This Week:
Monday Rest
Tuesday 3 miles Easy walking
Wednesday Rest
Thursday 4 miles Moderate walking
Friday 30 minutes Easy cross-training
Saturday 5 miles Easy walking
Sunday 3 miles Easy walking

Training Tip of the Week: Blister Prevention and Care

The direct result of a friction rub, blisters can be caused by pressure in the shoe or moisture from perspiration. Staying well hydrated throughout the Breast Cancer 3-Day is important for all aspects of an injury-free walk, and this includes blister prevention. Dehydration allows the skin to fold on itself and create a friction rub. Proper shoe and sock selection also is key to preventing blisters.

Hot spots are places on your feet where you feel tenderness, pressure, heat or pain. If you feel a hot spot during a training walk, stop and change your socks. Increase protection over that area by applying moleskin, 2nd Skin® or a bandage. Moleskin should not be removed until the end of the walk to prevent peeling off of the skin. Be sure there are no creases in the bandage, which could cause friction.

If you develop a blister, try not to pop it. Blisters are nature’s way of creating a protective cushion and protect the skin from infection. Small blisters should be covered with a square of second skin, a bandaid or corn pad. Do not leave second skin on overnight as it will dry out and can irritate the skin.

For large, painful blisters, clean the blister with an alcohol pad and have a medical professional drain it with a sterile needle. Be sure to keep the open blister covered with antibiotic ointment to prevent infection. Benzoin liquid, Nuskin or “Toughskin” spray are sometimes used to “toughen” the skin at problem areas. Try this out before the Breast Cancer 3-Day. Do not get a pedicure or try to remove calluses before the event or long training walks. Do not wear toe rings on your long walks. The heat may swell your toes and feet, decreasing their blood circulation.
joyce, what kind of socks are you training in? i didnt realize this before today, and have been walking in cotton socks, but they are the worst for blisters... guess i need to go buy some socks made of a nylon mix... my sister said u can buy a 6 pk of them for under $10 at walmart...
You need to make sure that yours will 'wick' pull moisture away from your skin. You may have to try several different kinds to find what works for you with your shoes. Check with one of the sponsors for brands to try. some walkers will wear two pairs of socks. Also check or leave a message on the message board on the 3-Day web site for suggestions as well

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service