This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Am I the only one here who's totally relaxed about sending my child to boot camp?

There are a LOT of posts from mothers worried/stressed about their sons or daughters going to boot camp, I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I am not the only one who has no problem with my child leaving?

I've helped him study and "encouraged" him to keep up his PT so that when he goes he will be ready to take that test and make E-2 right away. I'm very comfortable with letting him go.I feel he's ready. I'd send him tomorrow if I thought he was ready for the test and was sure he could still get the same job.

Is it because we did this once already, sending him off to college last summer (2008)? I was just as relaxed then, too. A hug and a goodbye, a minute of tears as I watch him leave, and he's gone. Out of sight, out of mind, except for letters or phone calls.

Is it because I went to boot camp myself, I know what it's like, so it holds no fears for me?

Mostly I'm eager to hear about what he learns, how boot camp has changed from my experience, fun and outrageous stories, and to hear of his future adventures.

So, is there anyone else out there who feels the same way I do: pride that my son is ready to make a major step towards independent adulthood with a touch of relief that he isn't going to stay home forever?

Views: 730

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son also left on 11/3/09, from Houston. I will miss him but I know he is excited about this new adventure. He was in his element at the swearing in and ready to go! I am very proud of him and looking forward to that first letter and phone call.
Sportcoat1...my son leaves on the November 23rd and is also older...27. I honestly think for us it is a little easier. Our boys have had a few life experiences already, so we've been able to watch them and seen how they handle themselves. The moms of these 18 year olds I'm sure are more nervous, not knowing how there kids will handle things.

Our kids are going to be the "old guys" at boot camp and are leaving very close to the same time...who knows, maybe they will get to know each other. I will be thinking of you and your son on the 30th. Best of luck to you both!
My son is 22 and leaving Nov. 18. He's very excited and I am excited for him. I do think it will be easier for him at his age as it will be for me ( I hope!)
I am in agreement with you. When my son left for BC exactly 2 years ago next week, I felt so much relief. I worried less about him in BC than when he was running around here at home with a potentially wrong croud. He made the right choice and I can't wait to see a more mature independent adult when he returns!
Me, but my son is 23 and he lived on his own away from home for two years before he moved back last spring. I figure he's all grown up and knows what he's doing. I assume he'll get through boot camp with few problems, he's in good shape physically. My worst worry is that he's kind of a smart ass, but he's grown up a lot in the last two years and learned to shut up and take it when he has to.
Not sure this is the right spot to post this, but i am ready to send my son and am really proud of his decision; however, he has been trying to enlist since August '09 and still is waiting to find out when he can even go to MEPS for his testing.
It is getting a little bit difficult to keep him focused on this goal at this point. He even stops into the recruting office 2x a week to see how things are progressing. UGH.
I wasn't worried before he left at all, but after he was gone I panicked. I was not prepared for how I would feel. I had been reading some posts on here and thinking I was the only one who was happy that he was going in the Navy!!! But like I said, the reality was tougher. The way I made it was that I judge myself on how well my children fly. After a year and a half of struggling after high school, making some really bad choices, etc., I feel the Navy really saved him. He is now "flying", he is becoming a man in every sense of the word. I'm not a clinger but I love my boys, as we all do. It's been a very rewarding challenge to learn how to feel what I feel and still manage to live a normal life when there is a hole in our family where he should be. I don't show him how much I miss him. Every once in a while I let on, but for the most part I keep everything very upbeat. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone is different and no one should ever feel guilty or judge themselves too harshly, we all are just doing the best we can!
4 years ago I sent my son off to boot camp.. I wasn't worried.. I missed him.. I was a single mom and right or wrong my 3 son's became my life line and kept me focused on what I had to do to make our life better.. so sending one off to boot camp was a very emotional thing for me.. I kept busy and survived it..and I am proud to say so did he... With out sounding rash there's a lot worse places you can send your child off too... Like war.. my son is a Riverine and is getting ready for his 3rd deployment to Iraq.. I have a son who is now a soldier and he's currently on his second deployment to Iraq..

So mom's its normal to miss them.. you have raised them well when they want to serve our country... but know there are worse places they can go than bc...

Debby
I didn't have a problem with my son going off to boot camp, I encouraged it! The only thing I didn't like was not knowing if he passed his tests because I didn't want to make the trip to Chicago if he didn't. But we got letters after he'd been in 2 weeks, and I wrote to him frequently. He got to call a few times. Then he graduated, I don't get letters but he calls me and we chat online all the time now.

I am proud of him, and I am proud of all our sailors.

Cheers,
Patti
You're not alone...I joined the site for support and sometimes find the postings depressing. Our son left on 11/9 for BC. We are so PROUD of him! Although we get teary eyed from time to time...I don't find myself devastated by him being away. Many of the postings sound like "grief"...this can't be healthy. My goodness...lets keep it in prospective...they are away at training.
I'm really with you here. The purpose of boot camp is to bust down individuals, and then raise them up as a team. That is their mission, and their goal is accomplished every time a division goes through PIR. I really missed my son while he was at Boot camp, but I did try to raise him to be independent and resourceful. Praise God - I'm actually seeing some of that now. Jake is very happy with his decision to enlist, excited to report to his first duty station. And we keep in contact via e-mail. I'm leaving in one week to pick him up after A school for his 2 weeks leave. I have a great lot of respect for the young man he has become. Thank you, US Navy. The Navy certainly polished up the project that I started on.
My son leaves for GL tomorrow and although I know I will miss him, feel much more excited than worried. I think part of what helps is knowing that he feels secure in his decision. He went to college for a while and seemed to dread every day. Now he is a few years older and very excited about his decision to join the Navy. I can't wait to see how things go for him in this new stage of his life!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service