This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Am I the only one here who's totally relaxed about sending my child to boot camp?

There are a LOT of posts from mothers worried/stressed about their sons or daughters going to boot camp, I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I am not the only one who has no problem with my child leaving?

I've helped him study and "encouraged" him to keep up his PT so that when he goes he will be ready to take that test and make E-2 right away. I'm very comfortable with letting him go.I feel he's ready. I'd send him tomorrow if I thought he was ready for the test and was sure he could still get the same job.

Is it because we did this once already, sending him off to college last summer (2008)? I was just as relaxed then, too. A hug and a goodbye, a minute of tears as I watch him leave, and he's gone. Out of sight, out of mind, except for letters or phone calls.

Is it because I went to boot camp myself, I know what it's like, so it holds no fears for me?

Mostly I'm eager to hear about what he learns, how boot camp has changed from my experience, fun and outrageous stories, and to hear of his future adventures.

So, is there anyone else out there who feels the same way I do: pride that my son is ready to make a major step towards independent adulthood with a touch of relief that he isn't going to stay home forever?

Views: 730

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi my name is Juanice Brooks and bot of my boy are in the Navy one just went to boot camp in November and will be graduating on January 17. My other son graduate on October 17 of last year. I miss them both because it to quite around the house and there's only me .They need to grow up and be more responsible.
Welcome! You will find lots of support here!
However!
Do not give us too much personal information, Juanice. You can write about your sons but do not give us too much detail. We should not know their full names, or where they are located at any time. This can endanger your boys as well as ours.
Please visit the link sent to you by Inga above my posting.
THANK YOU AND DID NOT KNOW
I do feel all those things you are saying. Yes, I am sad..it's all very new and he is my only son, however..like you..I am so proud of this step because I know in my heart it is the best thing he could possibly do. He has so much to offer, but he has not found the niche in his life that will let him soar, In my heart I believe the Navy will help him with this. As any mom, the thought of all the discomfort, loneliness, etc..that he is going through has to hurt a little..but you are right, we would want them to find their own way and not become like who is that guy? Matthew McConnaugh or whatever lol..from the movie Failure to Launch LOL. Also, I think it helps that YOU yourself were at boot camp so you have a first hand idea of what it is, please bear with those of us that have no clue...hence, all the stress and anxiety. I hope you son is doing awesome and I hope we can stay in touch.
I must say that at first I had a little apprehension about him LEAVING. I support him in whatever he wants to do and I believe he will do well in whatever he puts his mind to. He leaves July 12th...
This process is really no different that launching you child into kindergarten, or on their first dance, or even into their own apartment... on some level. There is that cord-cutting action that needs to happen from mom's perspective, and that excited spread of the wings from my recruit's perspective. The choice to join the US Navy was hers. The decision to join the military was hers. The danger she may be in... I have to have faith that your sons and daughters will have her back. We don't yet know what she will do, where she will go, but we do know that she has already begun a transformation process that swells me up, and this will only get better. It helps that her two brothers have already been through this process, so I do have that experience to fall back on.
I have been wondering if I am abnormal for not being more stressed about my son going off to boot camp as well. He is 21 and has already completed some schooling, he graduated from UTI last January so he is actually back home. He doesn't live with me but he is living nearby and I see him frequently. My son has always been very independent and adventurous, something I have tried to encourage. I am confident that he will be fine and up to any challenges he will face. I'm just not sure he will write home, texts have been his mode of communication.
I feel they same - I am preparing to send off not one but two children at the same time to the Navy(twins). While of course I will miss them - I am extremly proud of them and excited for them to start their new adventure. I'm not scared at all to send them off. I also went through basic training many years ago - I think it helps me to know that what I sending them off to is something I already lived through. I know my kids they will thrive in basic and in the Navy. I know we raised them right and they are ready for this step.
congratulations, mom of navy twins! You are lucky because you know what they will encounter! I am sure they are so proud of you that they are following in your footsteps! Good luck! Yes, your home will be quiet but would you rather they be deadbeats hanging around the house trying to find themselves==forever?!! hahaha. congratulations!
You are correct - I am glad they decided to join the instead on lounging around the house. I guess they already have found themselves. :)
I am SOOOO with you on this. I had so much to do with another child at home, husband, house and job. My sailor would have been so upset with me if I would have sat around and cried all the time. I miss him really bad some days but life has to go on.
We went from me teaching him to him teaching me things. The past 11 years are been lonesome at times but its all good. Glad to know I am not the only one that doesnt freak out. Now I know I'm not a bad mama
I couldn't have said it better. My son signed in March and was in DEP until November. We were both ready when he shipped to basic! He was so excited and was getting a little antsy and I was so anxious for him to start realizing what he could only dream about. He is in Great Lakes now scheduled to graduate on Jan 22 then 8 months of A school, also in Great Lakes. I talked to him last night and I've never talked to that mature adult before :-). A month in the Navy - away from Mom and moving toward a goal that he set for himself - has really helped him to grow and to grow up as well.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service