This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

If anyone has a kid who has joined up or tried to join up with a DUI or other criminal history, would you please share your experience. 

My kid is a senior in high school and wants to join the Air Force or Navy but messed up and got a DUI.  His probation ends in May around graduation time and we can't speak with a recruiter while he is on probation and maybe even for a few months after, so we don't know what his chances are.  If there is little chance of him being accepted, then we'll just accept it and send him off to college.  Thanks.

Views: 20853

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good to hear that there are other engineering type jobs, that is his interest area.

I'm not familiar with the surface, air, sub distinction. I'm guessing airplanes and submarines?   

Yep.

Do they want more women and minorities or less? His took a practice asvab before he got in trouble and his score was 87. 

Thanks lemon elephant for the manual, I found the dui information in there but not the information about needing a waiver because the offense happened when he was a minor.  It did say that they want to know about it even if it happened while underage but nothing about needing a waiver specifically because he was underage.  

You all are a great source of information.  Is there an Airforce for Mom's website?  He is interested both of these branches.

Isn't AECF program after the Nuclear Program? as far as scoring high on ASVAB?

No it isn't.  As far as which ratings have the highest ASVAB requirements...it really doesn't matter as it is really up to the line scores not the over all score.  also it doesn't matter how high someone scores if they don't want that rating.  It doesn't make one better over the other.  With out all the ratings they wouldn't be war ships.

That is what people need to understand.

Nuke is higher by line scores.   Also, there's a second test for nuke qualification, but I'm not sure if everyone takes it (maybe not if their line scores a really high already?). And just because you can pass it doesn't mean you're suited to be a nuke.  Just that you can pass the tests.  Same for every rating, just because you can pass the test doesn't mean it is the job you want.  

http://www.navycs.com/asvab-test.html

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/aecf.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/l/blasvabscores.htm

The military's always want more women and more minorities. There are times they will allow them with a lower score than the males.  It is the way it is.

As far as an Air-force website, no idea...recommend you ask the Air-force recruiter if they have one.

Emphasis on test scores.

1.  Although the Navy may not have any other foolproof method of determining who will succeed in one rating over another other than a current battery of test administered at various times, we must avoid putting too much emphasis on them as parents, especially if the scores are exceptionally elevated or disappointingly low.
  2. An applicant can scores very, very high but if he/she is not suited to be a nuke based on other factors such as interest, motivation, personality, attention-span - then it becomes an uphill battle to make this force this person into the Nuke program. I know a number of sailor who has score high enough to be in the nuke program but chose other ratings.
  3. As parents, we need to remember this is THEIR careers - not ours. We must distance ourselves from the awards, oh yes, it's very easy to get full of ourselves because the achievements attained by our off springs - can't help it. But we must try without withdrawing support when our sons/daughters hit a low.
  4. Please talk to your recruits - find out what really, really interest him/her.  It may surprise you. Help them be happy human being not just accomplished sailors.
  5. If you child makes a decision that does not result in a "high" rating, don't feel disappointed or let down by your child. There will be plenty of people all around doing that for him. Be his/her anchor and safety net - unquestioningly, unequivocally.  We need people of all ratings.

Thank you for all the recruits for wanting to serve our country. Thank you for all the moms and dads for having done a fine job. BQB

Why don't YOU visit any Air Force recruiting office and get as many pamphlets as you can about jobs since this seems to be your son's preference?  It all may be a mote point for either the Air Force or the Navy.

I found these links with a google search (for the Navy). Try it for the Air Force.

http://www.navy.com/navy/careers/?

ASVAB & Navy Jobs

http://www.military.com/ASVAB/0,,ASVAB_MOS_Navy.html

Good luck.

Airforce is making it difficult to impossible to get the waiver for DUI, Navy only requires 12 months after incident to pass with no waiver.  He's joining the Navy!  

Just in case ---

Many kids try marijuana and spice - they listen to friends who will tell them "Oh, they won't detect in a urine test.", "You'll be fine. It has been weeks.", "You not taking that much."

Senior year in high school can be such a dangerous time - they are living it up. Many are driving and hanging out with older more experienced guys.  I know two guys who were sent home at boot camp because of positive drug test. There is no second chance, no waiver.

If you son is really serious about joining the Navy, he better make some serious decisions about alcohol & drugs.  It's very possible your son is not up to being in the military at this time.  It is very lonely for these very young kids right out of high school. You know there is nothing quite as wonderful as being a freshmen at a college away from home. Well for me anyway. He may need a year of two of partying and having fun before he gets serious.

What is your son's opinion on all this?

This is all his idea.  I would actually prefer for him to go to college if he was into it.  But since he is not, I would prefer not to spend 20K a year for him party and have fun with very little studying involved.  Since he is on probation he is already being drug tested bi-weekly.   He is not into marijuana, but I think he would drink if he could, but he has learned from this experience to stay away from that stuff for now.  

I would also prefer the Airforce over the Navy because the Airforce Community College means he would come out with at least some college under his belt.  I think he should jump over whatever hoops they require of him to get into that branch, but he has chosen the Navy.  Not me. 

By the way, does the Navy test for alcohol use in underage sailors? or just drug use?  I hope its both to give him further incentive to stay far away from it.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service