This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

Hi everyone,

I searched the site and didn't find anything recent so I thought I'd pick everyone's brains.

I'm looking for ideas for a gift to bring my son for at the PIR ceremony?  I don't know if gifts are a thing, but it seems weird not to take one.

Ideas or what did you do for your new Sailor if you brought a gift to graduation?

Thanks in advance!

Views: 2344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Think positive. Believe that your then recruit will go on to be a Sailor and convey that now and in your letters to him at BC.

Each division starts out with an average of 88 recruits and an average of 75 of them will have PIR on time. Of the 13 or so who are ASMO'd, some are injured or ill and go to the RCU and later have PIR with another division or go on to be Sailors and go straight to "A" School or training without PIR or are separated; some end up in FIT and go on to be Sailors and go straight to "A" School or training without PIR or are separated; some end up in FAST or PASS and later have PIR with another division; some are ASMO'd to another division in a later TG for various reasons and have PIR later; and yes, some do go to SEPS and are separated. 

If any of those terms is unfamiliar to you, check out What does ??? mean? (A Guide to Navy Abbreviations and Terminology)

We bought my son a nice watch.  This was one of the few things he could wear back to base after liberty.  He was very excited.  We bought him a Citizen watch but I have heard Casio has a very good heavy duty watch that holds up very well.  The watch is very useful as being on time and knowing the time is very important and they are not always allowed to have their cell phones.  

Gshock Casio are also popular.  My husband is a Navy retiree, and he prefers one!

I am considering the gshock for my grandson.  I looked at them on amazon and there are so many different kinds!  Any suggestions on which particular one?

Solar, shock resistant, water resistant, and black ... which is most of them.  The good ones do run near $100.   Multi-function is handy if they can set an alarm on it; unlike cell phones, the solar watches never lose their charge as they can power off any light source, not just the sun. 

I got mine a watch and gave it to him at lunch after PIR 

We just ordered a personalized photo blanket. Nothing Navy, just homey. May need to ship it later due to the bulkiness. Any one know where to find that specific info?? I'll check the PIR GIFTS forum. Also the USS HOPPER COIN.It already arrived. Very Nice!!! I like the ring idea too. Where did/do you order them??

Shipping?  You'll need to wait until he gets to the school and get the address from him.  They're oddly specific and hard to find precisely detailed ones online. None of them delivery directly to barracks rooms, even Fedex and UPS go through the mailroom.  USPS is generally best.

He may need to keep the blanket in his locker, some of the barracks do not allow personal bedding to be left on the bed.  If he goes to a ship, he may or may not have room/be authorized to have it.  You may end up hanging onto it at some point, but I am sure he'll love it when he can have it!

The watch is a good idea.   After arriving at A school my sailor called to see if there was an extra watch around the house we could send him.   Why I asked....he has NEVER worn a watch.   Because we can't have our cell phones with us while we are on duty and I need something for time.  We sent a watch down but after talking with my N4M friends wished I had done the G force watch.  My nephew who is retired Marines still wears his and he has been out 15 years.   May be a Christmas present.

Princeton Watches
has "BabyG" shock watches for WOMEN on SALE ! Ordered yesterday afternoon, was on my doorstep this a.m. In a cute gift tin too!!

Wrong Gift Idea !!!
*** Warning - Do not open the embedded  link until you read this ***

All,
Today I’m going to talk about something that is really dear to my heart, which are rings.  DO NOT BUY SAILORS RINGS!!!!  Stay away from them.  I’m ok with all other types of jewelry, but rings are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. 

Yes, they sell boot camp and Navy rings at the Navy Exchange after PIR. These rings are super expensive. Most of your new Sailors won't even be able to wear them except on special occasions like on leave,  Navy Ball, etc... because they are such a great safety hazard.

I know in my Navy job (like most Navy jobs) we are required to remove all rings, mine because I was working around 18,000 volts. One day my friend forgot to remove his ring, and was killed. That was the day I quit wearing mine. In the past 27 years I have not worn one because of this. It's not worth the risk. 

Yes, sailors can wear a ring around their neck. 

Two things to consider:
1 . When they wear them around their neck they need to make dang sure they wear a "break away" cord. I've actually witnessed a guy get really hurt getting sucked into a paper shredder when his security badge cord got caught into a paper shredder. It hurt him kind-of bad. So something that can easily break is a great thing. 

2. Even though I personally don't like tattoo's (on me), I like looking at what others have. I see quite a bit of sailors getting rings tattoo'd on their fingers. It solves the problem if you like tattoo's.  Also there is a company that makes a nice silicone ring that some of the sailors wear.  But remember, no faddish colors.
http://qalo.com/collections/all/products/men-s-quality-ring

Being a civilian contractor I look at all the training material the Navy is pushing out to sailors in the fleet. Rings are a hot topic now. They are dangerous! Here is a slide that was in the most resent training package. Luckily, this sailor was able to save his finger and never lost the ability of its movement. I bet he will never wear a ring again. 

Warning - They say a picture speaks 1000 words. Even though this sailor never lost his finger, I will put in a link so the picture just doesn't pop-up. I recommend you look at it, and understand why we don't buy sailors rings....

https://tmpdmp.com/945e7bf2a78edf86/5d0df959c6662ed5

Again, this picture will get my point across.

Craig

Great info. Thank you. (Not even gonna look at the pic)!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service