This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I know that sailors and tattoos go hand and hand.... just wondering how other moms out there are feeling about this?

added after discussion started:

...she is wanting to get tats that signify members of the family, I know it's her choice , the problem I have is placement. one on ankle and one on top of foot. they are coverable as far as the Navy is concerned but what about when she gets out or wants to dress up in a dress and strappy heels or just shorts and flip-flops. Guess i'm just old fashion.. granted I have thought about it for myself, even went into a shop and talked to the artist, just couldn't bring myself to find something that i wanted on my body for the rest of my life, covered or not.
I know it's her life and her body, and if one of my two sons wanted one later in life i probably wouldn't have such a problem with it.... just the momma of my babygirl coming out in me i guess.

Views: 2375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am truly hoping my son doesn't get a tattoo.. so far it has been a yr and a half and so far none that I have seen or told about.. I am hoping that he has learned from his grandfather who retired from the navy and has tatoos up and down his arms and hates them..and has always told Bryan how much he wished he hadn't gotten them..so I hope he will listen to this..
Hi Carol I really don't know how you feel about a tattoo. And all i can say is express your concerns about it with Courtnery and then allow her to make her own decisions. If our children are grown enough to decided to go to the military let them be grown enough to make other decisions. Mine got one and he's only been there for 3 months. But I don't feel like I have the right to make his decision only to show him my concerns about his decision.
i'm mixed... My hubby was in Navy has one tat. Courtney I believe will have a few... Not against them so to speak, just don't care for them in public view and I believe they should MEAN something. Not just to get/have one. She is an adult now and can make her own decisions, I just hate to see her regret placement when she gets older.
I know what you mean. I have 3 and I gave each one thought for at least a year to make sure I did want it still. And I got them on each ankle and one by my boob. One is from when I went to Maui. I feel bad for the ones who are covered because can you imagine what that'll look like when they're 70 or 80?
On the placement issue, ankles aren't good if a female sailor ever wants to wear a uniform skirt with her dress or service uniforms. An ankle tattoo generally can't be covered with the nylons and pumps, though I've seen some women use a large flesh-color  band-aid to cover a small tat in an "emergency.". When I was in the Navy I preferred the skirts in hot weather, it was almost as good as wearing shorts. If female sailors get ankle tattoos, they're stuck wearing the slacks all the time - or buy stock in band-aids.
I work for an infectious disease doctor and have sent many a nasty picture of tats on wrong. Along with VD gone worse. He still choose to get one..... The tattoo that is.
That was tats gone wrong
I have always told all my children that as when they became 18, whatever they decided to do with their bodies, whether it be piercing or tatoos, that would be up to them. Just as long as its tasteful and doesnt involve putting anyone's name on his body, I would be fine with it. Always kind of wanted one myself, but never had the nerve.
Hmmm... - let's see. My son went into boot with 3 stars on his arm. From boot camp to A school in Pensacola to Japan (for 2 years) and now back in Florida for C school - he has acquired 9 more tattoos. He even bought a tattoo kit and has done tattoos on himself and fellow sailors - guys AND gals. He is heading to the Reagan soon - hope he looses that kit overboard!!

I just have one tattoo - a long stem yellow rose on my right shoulder. So I can't really say anything.

Good luck!
Carol
Jersey Mom, This has nothing to do with tattoos, but I just saw that your son is headed to the Reagan and there is a mom (Barbara) in my N4M Anonymous Group that has a son there right now. She has alot of great info.
From Navy Regs on civilian attire:

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter7/ch...

4. EARRINGS. Earrings are prohibited for male personnel in civilian attire when in a duty status or while in/aboard any ship, craft, aircraft, or in any military vehicle, or within any base or other place under military jurisdiction or while participating in any organized military recreational activities. When considered appropriate by the prescribing authority under . earrings may be prohibited while in foreign countries.

5. BODY PIERCING. Not authorized while in uniform. No articles, other than earrings (one earring per earlobe) for women, shall be attached to or through the ear, nose, or any other body part. Additionally, body piercing is not authorized in civilian attire when in a duty status or while in/aboard any ship, craft, aircraft, or in any military vehicle or within any base or other place under military jurisdiction, or while participating in any organized military recreational activities. When considered appropriate by the prescribing authority under , body piercing may be prohibited while in foreign countries.

6. TATTOOS/BODY ART/BRANDS. Three Criteria will be used to determine whether tattoos/body art/brands are permitted for Navy personnel while wearing civilian clothing: content, location and cosmetic.
a. Content. Tattoos/body art/brands located anywhere on the body that are prejudicial to good order, discipline, and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the naval service are prohibited. For example, tattoos/body art/brands that are obscene, sexually explicit, and or advocate discrimination based on sex, race, religion, ethnic, or national origin are prohibited. In addition, tattoos/body art/brands that symbolize affiliation with gangs, supremacist or extremist groups, or advocate illegal drug use are prohibited.
b. Location. No tattoos/body art/brands on the head, face, neck, or scalp. The neck area for purposes of this regulation is any portion visible when wearing a crew neck T-shirt or open collar uniform shirt. In addition, otherwise permissible tattoos/body art/brands on the torso area of the body shall not be visible through white uniform clothing.
c. Cosmetic. This regulation does not prohibit cosmetic tattooing to correct medical conditions requiring such treatment. For the purpose of this regulation, cosmetic tattooing refers to medical or surgical procedures conducted by licensed, qualified medical personnel.

7. MUTILATION. Intentional mutilation of any part of the body is prohibited. Mutilation, is defined as the intentional radical alteration of the body, head, face, or skin for the purpose of and or resulting in an abnormal appearance.
a. Examples of mutilation include, but are not limited to:
(1) A split or forked tongue;
(2) Foreign objects inserted under the skin to create a design or pattern;
(3) Enlarged or stretched out holes in ears (other than a normal piercing);
(4) Intentional scarring on neck, face, or scalp; or
(5) Intentional burns creating a design or pattern.
8. DENTAL ORNAMENTATION. The use of gold, platinum, or other veneers or caps for purposes of dental ornamentation is prohibited. For purposes of this regulation, ornamentation is defined as decorative veneers or caps. Teeth, whether natural, capped, or veneered, will not be ornamented with designs, jewels, initials, etc.

Tattoos may be the least of a mom's worries! Hubby has two small tats, one above each bicep, tasteful and meaningful to him. I have a tiny one way up on my shoulder which I got for my 40th birthday. There are many more reliable, licensed and safe tattoo artists out there than ever before. Just hope your sailor finds one of them, one who's a good artist too! I've always felt one or two good and meaningful tatts were alright. I'm a wimp or I'd have a second one.
I believe they have to get a CHIT to get a tattoo, they just can't go out and get one without permission.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service