This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I know that sailors and tattoos go hand and hand.... just wondering how other moms out there are feeling about this?

added after discussion started:

...she is wanting to get tats that signify members of the family, I know it's her choice , the problem I have is placement. one on ankle and one on top of foot. they are coverable as far as the Navy is concerned but what about when she gets out or wants to dress up in a dress and strappy heels or just shorts and flip-flops. Guess i'm just old fashion.. granted I have thought about it for myself, even went into a shop and talked to the artist, just couldn't bring myself to find something that i wanted on my body for the rest of my life, covered or not.
I know it's her life and her body, and if one of my two sons wanted one later in life i probably wouldn't have such a problem with it.... just the momma of my babygirl coming out in me i guess.

Views: 2378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always told my kids that if they get tattoo'd it has to be something they can live with forever. So far only one has tattoos. He's my sailor boy and all of his are covered by sleeves and any other piece of clothing and they don't show when
he's in uniform. He's shown me each of the new ones he's gotten and I must say they aren't bad.

Suggest to your daughter that she be very choosy and not just get anything. That way she will look at the possibilities and be able to decide on a "nice" one.

Good luck
My sailor has one on his back shoulder blade from when he was 16. I signed, but it is a cross with a ribbon on it with his Dad and birth and death years. Tastefully done. It was drilled during boot camp into him that it can't show through the whites or below sleeves etc. Young and silly sailors they all are we just have to trust them and love them just the same, tatoos or not. I do agree that those with meaning are more personal and more thought out than those who do it just for the sake of doing it.
I am lucky, my son already had tatoos, infact my daughter also has them and she bought me one last year, if done right, they are not bad at all.
BTW, Tatoos are not bad. I'm a mother of three beautiful daughters, who has a tattoo or two. Nothing wrong with it, it's a form of vanity...just like makeup or a hairdo or muscle-building, working out, running or anything else you do to make yourself feel and look good.
Hello All! My Dad has a tattoo from WWII, including his serial number. It's a hula girl and when he moves his muscle, she wiggles. Thank goodness my mother, whom he met after getting the tattoo, LOOKS like the figure in the tattoo! I decided I didn't want any tattoos and managed a whole career without one (I was always the sober designated driver to the tattoo parlor!) My Senior Chief ended up with a colorful Pink Panther the entire length of her inner arm, still haunts me to this day.

The current generation are tattooed up and I'm not sure they are thinking of the long term. My husband had one early on in his career and ended up having it taken off surgically....not a pretty site and very painful to boot. Our son, PeteG, got a tattoo after high school graduation and moving into his own apartment. "No Regrets" in caligraphy on his upper arm. My only comment was that he hadn't lived long enough to have any regrets! Then, after joining the Navy, he had our last name tattooed down the back of his calf, like he was going to forget who he was or something. I'm thinking he might put his first name and middle initial down the back of the other calf to make a matching set. At one time, I did think of having my service number tatooed somewhere, then thought I might not be able to sit down...so gave up the thought.
Hi Carol, I had really hoped that my son wouldn't get any tattoos but with time he now has 9 of them. A few of them I like and most tell his story. 3 of his tats are on his for arms and I was sure he would be sent to mass for it but it never happened. My husband got one when he was in Vietnam and always said he wished he had not gotten it. They make my husband upset because of the money our son has to spend to get the tats. I say he works for his money, he doesn't ask us for anything, he's a good boy, so its all good with me.
I dont have a tattoo, however I have 2 military sons who both have tattoo's... I always had the feeling that I will pick and choose my battles with my kids and this was not a battle I wanted to fight... their bodies their decision.. I just asked they don't put them anywhere that can not be covered by clothes and they did... Having a tattoo doesnt make them less of hero's in my eyes...

Debby
I wasn't too thrilled when my son got his first one shortly after his 18th birthday and before he took his oath. But, I've gotten used to it. While he was stationed overseas, he added to it but you still can't see it under his BDU's so, it's ok. His wife doesn't seem to mind, so I guess that's part of the "growing up and being in the Navy" scene. It's sort of a right of passage. Kind of like girls getting their ears pierced.
My daughter got her 1st (small "Thumper" on her ankle) right after boot camp 14 years ago. She has since gotten several more and honestly the only one that really bugs me is the 1/4 sleeve on one of her arms. Although it is very pretty(wildflowers) I just keep thinking about how she can hide it when/if she gets married and wears a beautiful wedding gown. Both my girls have tattoos and under severe "peer" pressure on one of Amy's leaves home they talked me into getting one too. It's a 6" vine of flowers on my lower back. And let me tell you, even after 2 natural childbirths that was the worse pain I ever felt!!!!!! Anyway, my opinion is that as long as they arent vulgar and can be covered with clothing it's fine with me.
I do know that there are rules about tattoos in the military. Make sure your daughter checks that out first.
Interesting that this discussion would come up today! When our son got his first tatoo, he actually called and told me he was going to get it. He wanted my okay. Mind you, I thought it was sweet as he was already 18. He's now in Corpsman A-school in GL's. I received a picture on my cell last night, he has a huge tatoo on his back! It's the medical insignia, only difference is it has a gun going up and down instead of the rod. He made sure that it was below the collar line, as anyone hoping to become an officer can't have any tatoos showing. I was totally shocked. Personally, I don't like tatoo's. Morgan's first one was okay. I'm reserving my opinion until I see this new one. It does look very colorful, though!

Why would a chit be needed to get a tatoo? When they're off base, isn't that considered their own time?
My son is a corpsman and got a tatoo while he was at GL's. He had his last name tatooed on his shoulder blade. When we saw it my husband asked him if he had it done in case he forgot what his name was! We have teased him about it ever since and I think he's decided one is enough, at least I hope so!
All the boys except my sailor have a tattoo of my dads dog tags above their heart with the words "proud grandson of ..." with the American flag in the background. My Sailor was not old enough last year, but when he comes home that is his plan. They are very beautiful and the art work is superb, maybe I am a little bias, my oldest son designed it. My oldest son has many tattoo's. stars on his shoulders, Momma's Boy across his back, his favorite is his" to do list "on the inside of his forearm. They all waited until they were of age that is all I ask of them

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service