This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

My son is in this division.  Is anyone else's? 

I received my form letter (but no box) and have sent out my first letter along with that great questionnaire and a SASE.  I don't think I'll get 'The Box'.  He was pretty adamant about not taking anything he didn't mind giving away.  Any word from your children?  How are you holding up?  I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would.  I still can't sleep thru the night, but I'm not crying at the drop of a hat as a was at first.   

My son hates writing and reading, so I'm not sure how much I'll hear from him.  That's why I found that questionnaire perfect for him.  I'm going to look thru the other ones to send him another one later on.  Has anyone found any other cool things to include in the letters.

I thought I'd start this discussion to at least find out how the division is doing in case my son doesn't tell me much.  I think that if we all share (what we can share, of course), we'll be in the loop.  I don't know about you, but just knowing helps keep me at ease.  That's why I love this website and I check it everyday. 

Share your thoughts!

Views: 2309

Replies to This Discussion

Hi! my fiance is in this Ship and DIV. I hope to hear from him soon. Have you heard anything from your son yet?

Not yet.  I am anxiously awaiting that special phone call like everyone else.  Knowing how sick he was is making the wait especially hard.

Keep us posted Cathy on how your son is doing.  I'm hoping he's feeling better.  Hang in there, girl!

I wish I knew how my son is doing so I could report good news.  After that one scary call from my son I have not heard from him.  Of course that is not surprising.  Last week when the officer called me he told me that they would be allowed to make calls in 2 weeks.  I swear it will be the longest 2 weeks of my life.  I don't know if he's doing better or if the appendix finally burst and he had to have surgery.  Of course if he had to have surgery he will only get 3 days off and then sent back to training.  That scares me too.  I cannot imagine training while overcoming abdominal surgery.  At this point I wish my son had not called.  It is true what they say about ignorance being bliss.  Sorry, I am driving everyone crazy along with myself.

Cathy -

I'm praying for your son and for your peace of mind. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if I knew my son had a medical emergency.  It's best to express your thoughts and fears here and not internalize them.  Imaginations tend to "grow" that way. All the best to you, your son, to all of our courageous sons and daughters that are serving our great country.

Thank you for your prayers and kind words.  Here's to all that serve!

I was pleasantly surprised today to receive "The Box".  Went thru all the pockets and inside the shoes, but didn't find anything out of the ordinary.  What I did find was the name and phone number of his recruiter.  FINALLY I have a way to contact him!  My son left me all the phone numbers he thought I'd need, but didn't include his recruiter's.  Jeez!  I was not emotional about "The Box" though.  I knew what to expect.  I'm really enjoying creating these newsletters for him and I know he's going to enjoy them, so I'm ok.  I know he'll laugh when he sees them and that makes me very happy. 

Hallelujah!  I received a second call from my son today!  An office lady allowed him to call home for a few minutes while they are processing second security clearance information.  He sounded well - except for a cough - and we were able to talk about recruit life a little more.  Today begins week 2 of training for the division -  for boot camp numbering, today is 2-1 my son reported.

I have some negative news, though, that is a bit distressing for this mom to hear so I urge all moms in this division to write their sons (this is an all male division, my son reported) to pay attention to their superiors.  Letters were not distributed last night as too many kids in this division won't stop talking after "lights out" and won't follow orders.  As punishment, no letters were given to the recruits last night.  And, the entire division is paying the price for those who will not follow rules.  My son - and yours - has had to do extra IT (intensive training) because of a few. Please urge your sons to stop talking after taps, to try harder to learn to march properly, and pay attention to orders.  Sorry for the scolding, but it's a bit upsetting to know a few can ruin things for so many, and boot camp is difficult enough without having to do extra intensive training and not receive news from home which can be a huge discouragement.  These boys count on our letters from home to keep their spirits lifted.

My son said they have three meals a day, no snacks at all.  They cannot talk during meals; have about 12-14 minutes to eat.  No sweets are served.  They can take as much food as they can eat, but they must eat it all, even if they don't like it.  They cannot go back for seconds.  I asked him about food quality; he replied one can only eat so many "mushy vegetables".

I was also asked to bring some comfortable "civi" clothes as during his liberty pass after PIR, he would love to take a nap at our hotel, and he will not be allowed to nap in his uniform. I told him I was one step ahead of him and already have some comfortable basketball pants and a navy T-shirt packed for him.  He said he just wants to relax in our hotel room after PIR for a few hours;  for us not to plan anything major.  Sounds like he will need some downtime, not celebrating time after this experience.  He also told me that his wisdom teeth (3 of them) were removed during a dental exam, and he was allowed two days sick time for recovery.  It is standard procedure, I read, to remove wisdom teeth.  I wasn't aware of this requirement in time to warn him!

WOW!  Thank you so much for the news.  This is great information and I certainly appreciate it.  I had heard that they had to eat ALL the food they ask for on their plate and that they couldn't talk during chow.  I had already told my son about that one.  =)  It will be hard for us parents to tell them to try to do their best, if they are not getting our letters or calling.  I will continue to stress your point to my son as well. My son was in the Civil Air Patrol for many years, so he's used to military training and the rules, but I will continue to stress your point.  Thanks for telling us.  I'm sure we will all stress this point.  I thought they would be doing week 3 stuff by now.  I guess not.  In the Day by Day link, it says week 2 is tough.  I guess they really haven't had their Hell Week then either. Hmm?  I was wondering about the wisdom teeth thing as well.  So, they all have to have their wisdom teeth removed?  Does anyone know why?   

With the first call home last Thursday, my son told me he was just starting week one of training as they were on hold.  So I wanted to make sure I confirmed what week they were beginning so I could follow along in the daily boot camp link.  My son has four wisdom teeth; some had not erupted yet a few years back, but our dentist wanted to remove them anyway.  We chose not to based upon the thinking "don't fix what isn't wrong" and the fact that we didn't have dental insurance and surgical removal would have been a big cost.  My son said they only took out three of the four; the ones that were beginning to show some infection or problems. He was given 2 days in sick quarters to recover.  His mouth is still sore, but he's in no pain (he was given pain medication).  They left the 4th one in(?).  I assumed they remove them all so that any infection or impaction wouldn't be an issue when they are deployed and unable to receive treatment right away.  Although my son has never been in the military, the discipline and rules we had in place while raising him, I think, prepared him for following orders and knowing what to expect in the military as far as answering to authority.  I guess some of the recruits are having a difficult adjustment to being told what to do and when.  

I am sorry...but this is a VERY common occurance and my son reported that talking never ended for some throughout BC even until the end of it. I really don't advise writing because how do you know who is talking?!

Many do have a difficult time and they are learning. Very normal.

We recently had a mom report some info about her sons division and another mom wrote her son who then confronted the first moms son about it...very upset. It had been misinterpreted also (kind of like that game you play where one person says something and then you whisper it to the person next to you and see how it comes back?)

We advise...no negative news...do not write distressing things to your recruits. Leave the discipline to the RDC's. I realize that it is distressing to hear that punishment is handed out to all because of a few...but what they are trying to instill is a sense of teamwork and camaraderie. This will be done negatively and positively.

Sounds like you've been there, done that a few times.  From this newbie mom, I stand corrected:  your point about letting the RDC's instill camaraderie and teamwork is well received.  Perhaps I responded too hastily.  At the moment I wrote, I was very upset hearing news that my son couldn't receive his letters from home because of other's behavior.  Chalk it up to an emotional mom who is missing her son.  Mea culpa.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service