This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…

We are doing these units. They are out of Wisconsin (of which I am a native) and were at Ft. Hood when the terrorist attack occured on early November. They lost several members of each unit. Dori suggested that we do something special on the pillowcases for this unit and we chose angels because medical people are "angels of mercy". Maryellen is our mom coordinator for these units. She is doing an outstanding job already getting us the necessary information.

467th - this unit will a combo of then bands of angels and the appliques on the pillowcases. There are 46 in this unit, 21 female and 25 males.

1908th - this unit will have also have a combo of both types of  angel pillowcases.  There are 46 in this unit, 12 female, 34 male.    

Fallen heroes - we are going to give the family of each fallen soldier a pillowcase to remember their loved one. There are 5. Lyn has graciously said that she will embroider something special.  The Wounded will get the same type as the unit. FRG contacts. There are 2 and Maryellen will make those.

I am posting some other photos that were sent this month too.

Views: 399

Replies to This Discussion

that's a good idea or at least the end of the month. I just got the angel fabric ironed tonight! my crew washed but didn't iron.

I put out a plea to everyone Tucson contact that I have and asked them to check for angel fabric in their stash. And if they didn't sew, please forward or ask friends who do. hope to get some results.

I think I will check out a couple of thrift stores tomorrow.
Sue, I hope when you say "end of the month," you mean February and not January. January would be hard ... this is test month.
Dori, you are right about mailing dates. Maryellen, I am not always realistic in what I can do. I still have that "super woman" mentality, but my body says "slow down". So I am going to listen to my body,

First of all, we will probably have to do the groups separately. It is less overwhelming that way. Also, we need the time to get them made. We are not machines- I forget that. So slap me upside the head and remind me. Dori is my "voice of reason".

So sometime in Feb is more realistic. I just feel anxious to do them, but unless we make patches out of angel fabric, we still don't have enough angels to do the job.

And Maryellen, if we get enough made for 1 group earlier, fine, we can mail. But when thinking of dates for mailing, mid Feb at the earliest.
Maryellen, AWESOME idea! that way each unit's pillowcase will be "like kind and style". Love it. What do you all think?

I am going to a crazy fabric store today that a friend reminded me about. I haven't been there in years cause you have to dig thru piles of fabric to find anything, but I've found gems there. ANYWAY, whenever I have wanted a patch or appilque that's where I went.

Maybe I'll find some treasures!

And I like the end of Feb time frame. Gives us all the time we need to make what we need. We want these to be special, not slapped together. Right crew? You are awesome. Thanks for "bearing" with me as I work out the kinks in my new "not superwoman" personna. haha. gotta laugh at myself.
Okay unless my math is wrong, we have 46 pillowcases for each unit plus those for the wounded and families of the fallen soldiers. We will have 92 for deployed soldiers, around a dozen (?) wounded and 5-6 for the families. Let's do a sort of countdown.

Sue is sending me some angel fabric and I don't know who far that will go. I have also ordered two yards of the silver angels on navy. I had ordered two other yards but can't get that until May ... I told the lady too late. :-( I should be able to get 11-12 bands out of that fabric. There is another site that has nice angels, especially for females. I'll order a couple yards of that. So I should be able to do 30 or so with six-inch bands.
Great going Maryellen! keep us posted on information please!

Dori, I am not sure that you need to order more fabric. If you haven't done it yet, would you wait? I have enough angel fabric to do bands for 10-15. Lyn has 14 and I think we will have that covered.
Plus, I saw my Joann's manager today and she said one of her employees is an angel nut and thinks she may have some fabric. I have feelers out all over Tucson and haven't heard back yet. Since we decided to wait until February for a mailing, I think we have time.

I did find some appliques and alittle fabric today at the crazy store. Here's a picture:

the red with gold stars was Christmas. The only angel piece they had was about 1/2 yard. I figure that I can get 17 patches for sure, and with careful piecing, 19. The applique was in a bin for $.05 each, so I took them all-51. I was unsure how they would wash, so came home and washed a bunch of fabric. I placed it in a sock and washed/dried it. It was fine-no shrinkage nor raveling. Then I ironed it, so think at least some could be used. If not, I'll save for a Christmas ornament this year. It's pretty big-about 3" maybe.
Sue, I looked at this angel fabric on line. I like it.

I had the order form made out but not submitted yet. I'll wait to see how we stand when I get your fabric and you finish checking.

Take care. Dori
It's really pretty. I didn't take a good picture. the clerk also said that it came in a black background. I just hate to see you spend so much money on a specialty fabric. Let's give it a few days and see if some more comes out of people's closets. haha.
Okay, I changed up the thread description. I will change the counts as they are made. If anyone would like either some of the red angels or would like to make patches out the angel fabric, let me know and I will mail it to you.

We can use more help on this, I just posted who I knew were doing someone. If you have angel fabric and want to do some, please let us know.

I emailed Barbara G cause she inherited a bunch of Christmas fabric from her mom and she might have some too.

Lyn, would you like some of that red with gold star fabric for the fallen? With a white on white star band might be nice. Let me know.
I think that is a great idea. I am not clear-are the wounded included in the unit numbers? get some sleep! I'll be going soon too.
How can I help?
do we know how many there are?

here is my 1st angel pillowcase. It is a "fixer". this one was too short, so I tore out the hem. Then I trimmed off about 1 1/2" cause of the holes from the sewing. I added the angel band, but had to add white to fill it out. This person did french seams and that takes more fabric. Since this is an army unit, I may put one of the Navy mom love hearts over that white part, cause I am not thrilled.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service