This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
My son started OCS on September 12.  I have not heard from him, but based on the other discussions, I am thinking that he is class 03-11.  Anyone else in this same class?   This is my first time as a Navy mom.  Any information is greatly appreciated.  thanks.

Views: 460

Replies to This Discussion

Hi! You are at the right place. My son is just 3 weeks ahead of your son. I hope you at least got the 2 minute "hi Mom I'mj here call" on Sunday night. The next call I got was the second Sunday, a few minutes longer, then I missed his last call. Usually Sunday they get to call. I would suggest trying the Facebook group Navy Officer School 02-11 Friends and Family. That is the group my son is in. Hopefully you or someone else will set one up for the 03 class. You can meet and share with other family and friends and between everyone sharing what they hear from their loved one you can have an idea of what is going on. How old is your son? My son is 26, a little older than some. What area is he going into? The first 3 weeks are really difficult, but from what I have read it gets better each week after that. This site is also helpful to! Good luck to your son!
Thanks for the note. No I did not get the Sunday night call and keep hoping for one. My phone has not been off since he left. He is 23 and just graduated with a degree in Civil engineering. It was great having the summer to spend with him.
Hi! My daughter's boyfriend is in that class. He has his BS in aviation. They are in a serious relationship and we just adore her boyfriend. He is like a son to us. We are very scared about all this and the potential future my daughter may have. Exciting, proud and worrisome for the parents! I call it a bittersweet situation. My daughter got a text message from him right before they took his phone away. She is really feeling the pains of him being gone with no communication.

I know NOTHING about all this. I hope to learn more. We hope to be able to make the Graduation.

So, is it for sure class 03-11? Take care!
Not sure if it is the call of 03-11 - but from reading other posts and the way they number them I think it is. I think there is a facebook page for 03-11, will check that out. My son just graduated in Civil Engineering. Very new for all of us. It is great to have this as a way to communicate with others who are feeling the same way. Hope these next 12 weeks fly. Stay in touch.
Welcome!
you can find lots of information by reading the discussions from previous classes. Click on the "Back to OCS Graduate Moms Discussions" link above, and click on any of them for the classes xx-10. You may need to go to the next page to find them, but there is much that can be learned from those discussions. 12-10 was an especially chatty group.
I think the biggest adjustment all of us have had to make is the complete lack of communication, especially the first three weeks. We go from being able to text or call our LO many times a day, to NOTHING! You learn that No News Is Good News, as if something bad happens, generally you will learn about it rather quickly. Good Luck to your LO's and lean on us here. We understand......
Just letting you know they have a face book page for 03-11
Thanks.
My son just graduated this past weekend. As they are saying no news is good news. They are kept very busy from 4:30 am to 10 pm. Besides physical training to academics to keeping their building clean they have very little time. I got my first letter 4 weeks after he arrived. A lot depends on their drill instructor when they get to make a phone call. Make a list of questions and keep it by the phone so when your LO calls you don't forget what you wanted to say. You are so excited to hear from them you mind goes blank. Keep writing it is great for their moral. Don't forget it has to be sent in white envelopes and if you ad like a picture be sure to tape it so that it doesn' t fall out. Both N4M and facebook were such a great support system for me. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you feel they are silly because they are not. Also Debbie B my sons class had a lot of older ones. the ages really ranged quite a bit. So stay in touch.
Suzmom, can't help you with the class he is/will be in (our Loved one was class 14-10), you will/should eventually here something from him. It may be a few weeks, so hang tight, and pop into this site. Should start to have others who are in this class post comments. It helped us get through the 'quiet weeks' before we heard how OCS was tracking. Tough times for them, but life changing in a good way. Praying for them helps both of you! :) Best wishes on the beginnings of a GREAT journey. Ours finished in May, is now stationed and in training for the ride of his life! Blessings.
My boyfriend started OCS on September 12 as well. I left the morning of the 12th and that was so hard. I have not heard or recieved a letter from him yet but looking at the other discussions and the class right before them I believe their class is 03-11. I'm going to go ahead and send him a letter. Its so hard not being able to communicate with him. We have been together 4 years and lived together for 2 so this is a huge change. I'm so proud of him though. He is going to be a Naval Flight Officer. What is your son going to be?
Lauren, My daughter's boyfriend is going to be a Naval Flight Officer as well. She is having a hard time too. She is in college and is busy with classes, etc. As soon as she gets any free time, the tears start to fall. I feel for you girls. It must be one of the hardest times. It is even difficult for me too. He has become a part of our family. I feel as though my own son is going through this. I hurt so much when I see my daughter hurting. I do really feel for you girls and can see how difficult this is. I do assure my daughter though, that this is most likely the worst of it all and it will get better. I think the lack of any communication is the worst of it all for the family at home. Anyway, will you be at the graduation? What will you be doing during his flight school? Just curious as I find it is so hard for my daughter to plan what she is going to do with her future if she becomes part of this with her boyfriend. Take care and stay strong!
I am the same way, I am in my last semester of nursing school and when my life slows down long enough for me to start thinking about him being gone is when I get really sad. I got a call from him last night but I missed it because I ran downstairs for 10 minutes and left my phone in my room charging, I'm still sick about it. In the message he left me on my voicemail, he sounded really good, it was great to hear his voice. He said that was his only call allowed so I dont know if now I have to wait till next week to get another call or what. He told me the address and I just sent my first letter out. The hardest thing is definitly the commnication because we went from living together and seeing eachother every day to this. It's hard but I am so proud of him and I'm going to try to stay really strong and positive throughout my letters because it's even harder for them than it is for us. I will for sure be at graduation. It worked out well for us because I will be doing my practicum (222 hrs with an RN) and will be able to work it out so that I can go to his graduation. I graduate from nursing school in December as well but I plan on staying in Kentucky for at least year to get some nursing experience at the hospial I currently work at. Hopefully me and my babe will be getting engaged soon and I have decided that I will move down to Pensacol with him once we are married or engaged. But like I said I am going to commit to a job here for at least a year. We have talked about it and it will be hard but I'm going to try and fly down there most weekends once he's in Pensacola. The other reason I dont want to move down there right away is that theres no gurantee that he will be in Pensacola for sure for the whole 2 years. This would be really hard on my career switching jobs so much right off as a new nurse. But anyways I could keep writing but I am so proud of my LO and can't wait for the journey we are going to go through while he's an NFO. Is your daughter on facebook? maybe we can chat sometime. I have found it really helpfuly to talk to people who are going through the same thing.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service