This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
If you have a special recipe, decorating tip or craft idea that you want to share with us...PLEASE POST THEM HERE!  They can be something so send to our Sailors...or just to share with those we love here. 

This should be fun to see all the creative and wonderful ideas we can give each other!!!

Views: 687

Replies to This Discussion

This one I got from my girl friend - Janne Hoyum.  She knows how I love simple things to make. And this is simple and GOOD !

Impossible Pumpkin Pie

In large bowl - through in all the ingredients and beat until smooth  About 2 minutes.

3/4 cups  of sugar

1/2  cup of Bisquick

2 Tbsp of butter ( warmed up soft)

1 can of 13 oz. of Evaporated Milk

2 eggs

1 can of 16 oz Pumpkin ( I like Libby's )

2 tsp of Vanilla

2 1/2 tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice

Heat up the oven to 350 degrees.  Pour mixture into buttered 9 x 1 1/4 pie plate

Bake for for 55 minutes, or until knife blade comes out clean.  Enjoy

Also, wanted to share this too.  This came from my friend Kristen Gosselin

When I bake a cake I have always greased and floured the pan so the cake will flip out ok.  She uses powder sugar to coat the pan with.  Nicer taste to the cake.

Love this one! yuuuuummmmmmmM!

This is from BLONDIE...

Mud Balls!

quick, easy and good for a snack or dessert!

8 oz. cream cheese

1 pk. oreos (i like to use mint, do not use double stuff)

1 12.oz. pk of choco. chips and 2 tbs. butter (OR backers chocloate melted.)

crush oreos and mix crumbs with softened cream cheese, form into bite size balls. dip in chocolate, dry on wax paper.

From SueS

Made my single serving "Pie in a Jar" and am mailing them today. I know it will be after Christmas but that's ok.  Really easy to do

1 pie crust (Pillsbury 2 crust package)

4 Granny Smith Apples - sliced thin

1/2 cup sugar mixed with 3/4 cinnamon

1/3 cup sugar mixed with 3/4 c flour and 6 TBS margarine... crumbled

cut pie shells into circles that fit the size of your jar (I have used quart, pint and 4 oz).  Place in bottom of jar (OK to go up sides some)

place sliced aples in jar - piled high

Divide sugar/cin mix over apples - shake jar so mixture goes thru

Pour crumb mix over apples. This will be piled high

Bake 375 until browned on top and bubbly

Cool until you can place lids on (I use Ball jars)

Wrap in bubble wrap and ship!

This is really easy to do . It is also the recipe for one pie if you don't want to do it in a jar!  Enjoy!

Hoppin' John Recipe

2 cups dried black-eyed peas
Cold water
1 pound lean slab bacon or 1 pound meaty ham hocks
1 large
onion, chopped
Hot sauce (I just add and taste)
4 cups water or chicken broth
2 cups uncooked white rice

Salt and black pepper to taste

Before preparing dried beans, sort through them thoroughly for tiny pebbles or other debris. Soak, rinse, and drain dried black-eyed peas. Place black-eyed peas in a large soup pot over medium-high heat and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 2 hours. Drain and rinse beans.

Using the same large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add soaked black-eyed peas, bacon or ham hock, onion, and red pepper. Add water or chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the peas are tender (do not boil as the beans will burst).

Remove bacon or ham hock and cut into bite-size pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in rice, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 8 servings.

This was first posted by Mississippi Mom

I found this one and thought it looked really yummy!

Banana Flan

Serves 6

For the pastry – enough for two tart shells:
• ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar
• 3 ½ sticks butter, in small pieces
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 3 ¼ cups flour

For the filling:
• 1½ cups milk
• ½ cup heavy cream
• 5 egg yolks
• 1 egg
• ¾ cup granulated sugar
• 2 tsp. vanilla
• ¼ cup cornstarch
• pinch of salt
• 1 tbsp. unsalted butter (softened)
• 3-4 ripe bananas, sliced ¼-inch thick
• ½ cup apricot jelly

1. In a food processor, combine sugar, butter, egg and vanilla. Pulse until smooth. Add the flour and pulse until combined. Turn out onto a floured surface and form into two balls. Cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Unbaked dough may be refrigerated for up to one week or frozen up to three months.)

2. Roll out one ball to about ¼-inch thick circle and place it in a 9-in., two-piece tart pan. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425º. Line tart with parchment paper and fill with baking weights. Place tart in oven. After 5 minutes lower temperature to 375º. Bake for another 10 minutes. Remove parchment and weights and bake until tart is golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.

3. In a large saucepan, bring the milk and cream to the boil. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, egg, vanilla, cornstarch and salt. Slowly add the hot milk and cream into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour the contents of the bowl back into the saucepan. Continue whisking pastry cream over medium heat until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in butter. Let cool slightly, then spoon into the tart shell.

4. Arrange banana slices neatly on top of the warm filling. In a small pan, bring the apricot jam to a boil and brush over the top of the bananas.

(Adapted from Chef Darren McGrady's Eating Royally)

FROM MAGGS....

Buffalo Chicken Dip

I reg pack Chicken breasts (about 3)

4 packs Cream Cheese

2 cups Shredded Cheddar

1 bottle of, Ranch or Blue Cheese salad dressing.

Hot Wing Sauce

Boil or bake chicken breasts. Dice. ( I boil, and shred them)

Melt Cream Cheese in double boiler,  add chicken, salt pepper hot sauce, and little garlic. ( Make this to your taste, add more hot sauce if you like)

mix 1/2 cheddar, and let melt. Remove from heat, add Salad dressing, place in a casserole dish, put remainder of cheddar on top bake 15 mins at 350.

I serve it with bread.2 French baguette's are my fave. I have the bakery slice them for me.

FROM BLONDIE - 3/7/2011

Apple-sour cream coffeecake.

2 cups flour topping:

1/2 c. butter 1/2 brown sugar

1 tsp. soda 2 Tbsp. butter

1 cup sugar 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

2 eggs

1/4 tsp. salt

8 oz. sour cream

1 tsp. baking powder

2 cups apples (peeled, chopped)

Combine first 8 ingredients and beat with electric mixer on Med. for 3 mins. Fold in apples, pour into greased 9X13 pan. Prepare topping until crumbly, sprinkle evenly over batter (sometimes I double) bake at 35-40 mins.

From BLONDIE - 3/7/2011

Pineapple Upside-down Cake

for a pineapple upside down cakes this is great! and easy.....

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp. bking soda

1 can (20 0z.) crushed pineapple with juice, don't drain!

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

mix together well, pour into greased 13X9 bake 350 for 35-40 mins.

cool and frost with cream cheese or butter frosting.

I made this today - totally at random. I was very, very happy with the results.

Stone seafood stew

2 cans diced tomatos (italian style)

8 oz sea scallops

1 chopped calamari steak

2 cod fillets, sliced

4 red potatoes, finely diced

4 tbsp olive oil

2 tsp sea salt

1 tbsp summer savory

1 tbsp garlic powder

1/4 cup dried onions

1/4 cup dried parsley

1) Mix tomatos, potatoes, parsley and onions, plus about 2 cups of water in a stew pot. Set to simmer.

2) In a frying pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil, scallops and calamari, and half of the remaining spices, and sautee. Do NOT discard liquid. Once cooked, empty entire pan into tomato mix.

3) Repeat step 2 with cod.

Allow to simmer 1/2 hour. Add water if needed.

Makes 3 quarts

Take 1 small pkg of DRY jello and mix it in 1 small tub of Cool Whip, in a big mixing bowl.  (I have used sugar free in place of reg. jello and it tastes the same);     Cut or dice - 1 small can of "mixed tropical fruit" and drain thoroughly;  then add it to the jello/coolwhip mixture and pour into a pretty serving dish.  Can be made ahead of time and kept overnight in the fridge.

I have used raspberry jello with fresh strawberries and mixed fruit;  lime with crushed pineapple and minced cherries;

orange jello with manderin oranges, small can of crushed pineapple (drain juice).    Just make sure fruit is well drained.

If it seems a little strong,, you can add another small tub of Cool Whip.

The fun part of this is, people never know if it should be a salad,,or a dessert!  Be creative and enjoy   =)

I use pistashio pudding mix , never tried the jello  route, might  give it a try.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service